Friedman VS. Gilbert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friedman VS. Gilbert

OK, went back and was able to watch. Found it hard to enjoy with it being a foreign language. I would have been happy if Marty just played his "Holy Wars" parts from start to finish. Too bad American and European metal isn't in that much demand here, so we could have shows like that. We have to settle for American Idol, which I never watch. The Japanese chick was sweet, but couldn't they have found one that could sing? So you knew what the hell she was humming?
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Comment

This just confirms my thoughts on the Japanese...they are completely fucking insane! Ever see that show Extreme Elimination Challenge? That's some crazy shit.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA Extreme Elimination Challenge fuckin owns [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Those guys take some hard spills and the announcer overdubs are funny as hell!!!!!!!

Comment

I like Guy LeDouche myself.

Comment

Somebody needs to send this to EmptyV so they can buy a vowel. Fun stuff like this instead of angst ridden posers would make for much better programming. I guess my mind will always be stuck in a beery resin bog of metal music fun...but hey, I'm happy here... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
            The Buzzard does not fear
            The man in riot gear
            Harvest a skull of stone
            The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

Since I have never heard anything from Kiss, I didn't get most of it, but both are surely great players. I too had no idea they spoke Japanese, wow!
              Was Friedman playing an Ibanez SZ series? It didn't even look like a custom made one to me... Or is that his new signature model that's being prepared?

Comment

I have a friend that knows Japanese so he gave a rough translation so you can get a better idea of what is going on.

[ QUOTE ]

The beginning is hard to understand because they're shouting over the background music. What the hell is the deal with that fence?

When Paul walks out Marty goes "Awesome!" or something like that. Paul says he lived in Japan for about 2 years. Then they talk about which bands they like. They say they like Kiss and play some of their songs.

So then they're playing and the lady hums a few lines of the song and Marty goes "Oh, I got it!" and plays it. Then Gene Simmons walks out and Paul goes "Hey, nice to meet you." Paul thinks he has one but it's wrong. Marty says he has no idea what it is. They say it and he goes "Oh, I wasn't a Kiss fan then." Paul misses another one. Marty wins and goes "It's great to win!" He's using some sort of goofy modern slang too. After Paul says he'd win if it were Def Leppard, Marty jokes, "No, I'd win no matter what!"

So they're back from the commercial break. The game they're going to play is called "A to Z". They pick a ball from the "metal box" with a letter on it. They have to play a song by a band that starts with that letter. I think the guy with the shaved head is from a Japanese band (whoa, he even has a Slayer shirt). He's the judge. Every time they play a song, he judges whether it's right or not. He uses "safe" for the acceptable ones or "out" for the ones that won't go. I'm guessing it's how they call safe/out in Japanese baseball.

After Paul wins one, they tell Marty to keep trying. They do a few more (haha, Marty was clever by remembering ZZ Top) and then there's another commercial break. After the break, they get "M", and Marty goes "Oh, that's easy! Metallica!" They ask him why he didn't choose Megadeth. Paul plays something by Mr. Big and then goes "Well, it's not really metal." They get "V" and and Marty goes "The band I was in a long time ago, Vixen." The judge doesn't like this and calls him out. They play a few more, with Paul totally whupping Marty, and I think the announcer says something about how they're all impressed. They count how many balls are in each of their baskets - I guess the winner of each round must have been given the ball for that round. They count them off "One, two, three..." When they get to 8, Marty runs out, so Paul wins the golden skull.

Next up is the "School of Metal". They sit and talk about Paul's effects pedals. They're impressed and say some more stuff I didn't catch, and then play the Michael Schenker video for some reason. That drummer has way too huge a kit for playing that kind of music. They talk about Michael Schenker's guitar in the video...must be related to Paul's guitar somehow. Marty mentions that he was talking with Michael about making an album together, but when Marty said "Let's write some songs," Michael told him "We don't need songs! Let's just record!" He didn't know what he was gonna do if they were supposed to make an album but didn't have any songs. I think after that he's saying that he really divides up songs when he makes an album. After that they play something from one of Paul's bands, Spaceship One.

Then he plays a song to help him practice Japanese. I think the literal translation would be "My head could become a tomato, but I like tomatoes more than eggplants." Then it's off to the Ramones video.

Marty is talking about the music and says there aren't any guitar solos and the lyrics are easy to understand. I think he's talking about how he likes them because he has played Ramones cover songs before. I think afterwards they talk about whether the Ramones are metal or not. After they play one he goes "All Ramones songs have the same feeling as this one."

The next section is metal....appeal? The only other place I've seen that kanji is in the word "appeal". Paul talks about which Japanese bands he likes. Since Paul is a big fan of a band called Puffy, they're going to play one of their songs. The chick says "they're not really a metal band." She thinks they're the kind of thing you'd sing at karaoke. Marty insists that they're metal because of the chunk-chunk-chunk guitar part. They use it a lot in Kiss songs. It's a bit too simple, though. Anyone could play it. The chick asks "even me?" and so they give her a guitar (one of Marty's) and Marty shows her how to play it. Then all the crazy-ass soloing ensues. Finally, that chick advertises Paul's guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend also added the following... "Marty is also really, really good at Japanese. Way better than most Americans who try and learn it."

Comment

Yeah, Pott:

http://www.martyfriedman.com/downloa...iedman0444.jpg
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Finally was able to download it. All I can say is.......awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I can't believe you went through all that trouble Inearthed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Very cool...
                      Hear the universe scream
                      Bleeding from black holes
                      Whom horns careless
                      And whom God mourns

Comment

Thanks a lot for sharing! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        Check my bands!
                        www.myspace.com/magicktr
                        www.myspace.com/sinif64
                        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I can't believe you went through all that trouble Inearthed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Very cool...

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.. I didn't go through it! My friend who is on summer vacation from school that just got back from Japan translated it to keep up on his Japanese. I'll pass the kind words on to him.

Comment

Working...
                          X