Electronics freaks need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics freaks need your help!

<font color="aqua">Just a quick question if you wouldn't mind....I have a nice high speed fan from one of those little 6X6 cube heaters that the heating element obviously crapped out but I'd like to still use the fan by itself. Is it possible that I can just hardwire this fan to a standard plug for a wall outlet (120 volt)? These are the specs on the fan:

"Toyo Fan"
    Type UTL122G
    120 VAC 50/60 hertz
    "IE 2011"

It seems that I could and when I was 12 years old I would've done it anyway but I'm older now and I want to know if it's safe [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If it's not enough info for you, I'll just chuck it but it would be a very handy powerful fan in a small package for the shop. </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Re: Electronics freaks need your help!

Something that says "120 VAC 50/60 hertz" is what you would plug into a wall outlet. So, yes, it could be used easily as a fan hardwired into a plug, and plugged directly into an outlet.

Have at it!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] I'm with stu.... er, Cleveland [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
      J/K CM [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Comment

<font color="aqua">That's pretty much what I thought, thank you very much for confirming that sir- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

Comment

just make sure your cable is a large enough gauge to accomodate the current draw.

Comment

Please be careful doing this... there could be an internal regulator/power converter inside the casing of the heater that regulates how much power goes to the fan. Take out the fan and try to see if theres any markings on it... if there are, post em' up.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              "Toyo Fan"
              Type UTL122G
              120 VAC 50/60 hertz
              "IE 2011"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he did in his first post.

Comment

I would be careful with the it as well, you could start a fire... and its pretty easy to add a switch to it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I would be careful with the it as well, you could start a fire... and its pretty easy to add a switch to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Thanks for the added info guys, and yes, there is already a nice toggle switch originally with the unit and also is marked 120V so I will be using that as well. </font>
                  Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    "Toyo Fan"
                    Type UTL122G
                    120 VAC 50/60 hertz
                    "IE 2011"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he did in his first post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt sure weather they were the specs for the acual fan, or the entire heater unit. Budman, what are those the specs for?
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

It's just a small fan from a heater, any typical 14/16 gauge line cord is quite sufficient as there truly no major current draw there at all.

It's a cheap heater, nothing special about the fan or any weird regulation of power requirements to the fan. 120 volt at 50/60 hertz it as typical as it gets. They make those circuits as simple as possible for cost constraints.

Plug it into the wall and fly... You "might" get a small thumbwheel operated cord switch to actuate power to it, if you want. Not a real need though other than convenience or safety from sticking your finger in the fan picking it up while it's on, haha...

Comment

Working...
                      X