Computer System Restore????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer System Restore????

I have major Internet Explorer Problems and is crashing my computer, and comes up with a blue screen saying:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

and

CID_HANDLE_DELETION

I think some Spyware is messing with it but not sure. So I try to go back to when this happened, which is July and my Computer Restore won`t let me go back to July. I have Windows XP and it is pretty much self explanitory, and even sais to hit the back arrow if you want to go back to a different month, but nothing happens? Any help would be much appreciated. I will call Dell if it doesn`t work out. I just hate dealing with them, it seams I am on the phone for hours and they always seam to have to re-configure my computer and I lose alot of stuff and it takes a long time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Thanks-Jack.

Re: Computer System Restore????

When you put in the install CD for Windows XP, dosen't it have an option to repair Windows? That might help, but not sure since I haven't done it in awhile. Good luck with the Dell guys

Comment

Repair wont help in this case. If you dont have any special information on yout computer that you need, I would just do a full reformat. Insert the XP cd, chose install new, delete the partition containing the old XP, and reninstall.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I appreciate the info fellas!! This is giving me fits, it is working now, but it can crash at any moment. Jack.

Comment

Also, since this problem is probably buried in a program, is it definitely the Windows CD I want to re-install? Also, is Interenet Explorer on that one? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

if you suspect spyware, download spybot and run it. You can also try Ad-Aware and see what it finds. As far as IE, it can be found on Microsoft's website if you wanna just install it without redoing windows. Make sure you update all of your windows components (start menu/windows updates), these updates are crucial to windows. If all else fails, reinstall windows

Comment

I have tried Ad-Aware, it just keeps finging the same Cookies, but not the really bad one. I have automatic downloads and actually keep redoing it, not that. Also, re-downloaded Internet Explorer, not that. This is a really bad one!! Also, I tried to go back past August in my Restore window, and althoguh it sais you can, something is blocking it, it may be the really bad Bugaboo in there? Thanks gents-Jack.

Comment

if you decide to do a total re-install,,,make at LEAST 2
                partitions your hard drive...with the first one being c and about 10 GB,,make the other/s whatever you like , install Windows to the "C" partition and once it is all up and running put all your programs and downloads ..ect. on the others, that way you wont lose your stuff if windows goes shitty, you can just re-install into "C" and all your other stuff will still be right where you left it. i have 6 partitions on my 80GB
                C windows
                D swapper
                E programs
                F recording
                G backup stuff
                H utility

its worked fine since i've started doing it this way. like i said when windows goes shitty , i dont lose anything.

MOSH ON
                DAVE
                "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

BTW...have you tried running your antyvirus/spyware apps in safe mode..just a thought.
                  MOSH ON
                  DAVE
                  "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I appreciate that Dave. I wouldn`t have a clue how to redo my computer and do the 2 partitions, I am very computer UN-Savy. As for the Macafee Anti-Virus, I run it in Safe Mode also, finds nothing, I even tried turning off the Restore mode-nothing. It all started after I opened a Fake Ebay question about my guitar, they wanted to buy it, but first wanted me to read their Lawyers rules and blah-blah, what a dummy I am, they let a bad one in!! Is it easy to Un-Install Windows XP and Re-Install it? Thanks bro-Jack.

Comment

Also, according to the Microsoft Site, it sais that usually when this happens, a Spyware gets into the BHO and messes with it and the BHO can`t read the Registry right to run the programs assiciated with Internet Explorer. I?t sais to try to remove the BHO. OK, what is the BHO and once removed, I would think I would nead it back to read the Registries and such? It sais to contact the manufacturer of the BHO, which is probably either Dell or Microsoft? Jack.

Comment

its not to bad doing the re-install just time consuming,,depending on the copy you have 29min.--to an hour, just to be up and running. when you do the re-install(and depending on the disk you use, some restore disks are unattended installs, and some are not) it will usually ask you what partition you want to install it into and give you a list with options like deleting partitons, creating partitions in the unpartitoned space, and so forth, if you come across this, take advantage of it cause it is worth it. it will probably just have "C" listed right now, follow the steps it lists and delete the partition the follow the steps and create at least 2 partitons in the unpartioned space then install to "C" and your good to go. but SAVE eveything you want before doing this, cause you WILL lose every thing this go around.

and try Spy-bot too, it will usually find stuff Ad-aware dont and vise versa.

MOSH ON
                        DAVE

Comment

My CD is a Dell, Microsoft Reinstallation CD Windows XP Home Edition with service Pack 1. Does this sound like the right one? jack.

Comment

I have may CD`s for Ducumentation and drivers and........ Is the BHO in the Windows CD? Internet explorer? Last time, dell had me on the phone for 2-3 hours re-doing everything!! Jack.

Comment

download and give "Firefox" a try and see if you have the same probs.

but if it was me,,i'd save all my important stuff and do the re-install.

[ QUOTE ]
                              ""Dell, Microsoft Reinstallation CD Windows XP Home Edition with service Pack 1. Does this sound like the right one? jack. ""

[/ QUOTE ]
                              that would be the one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

MOSH ON
                              DAVE

Comment

Working...
                              X