Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer System Restore????

This will help a bit, too. www.ccleaner.com
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hi Joe, I ran that and have over 400 things that nead repaired!! I ran the Registry cleaner one, but I nead to buy it before it will finish the job. Is it worth the $29.99 bro? I don`t want to get it if it doesn`t do the job? I appreciate everything fellas. Jack.

Comment

Just the basics does wonders:

1. Update ad-ware.
        2. Let ad-aware run and scan your PC completely.
        This my take 5 minutes or 30 minutes or perhaps even longer. Nonetheless leave it alone and let it completely scan your PC.
        3. Once finished it will show you everything its found.
        Selected all that its found to delete them. This is how you get rid of the adware.
        4. Download and update Spybot.
        5. Follow step 2 and 3 for spybot as well.
        6. Run your antivirus program. Doesn't matter what it is Norton, Mcafee or others, just run it.
        7. Do steps 2 and 3 with your antivirus as well.
        8. Keep all your maintainence software update (ad-ware, spybot and antivirus program) because there are exploits out every single day. This is how we protect ourselves. Keeping such software updated and running it on a regular basis can save one many hours of frustration and money.
        Do you know what they do when you take your PC into the shop to have a virus or adware and spyware removed. They do one of three things. Either a reformat(they should call you before they do this but most don't)system restore with disk or run adware and spybot and run a virus program from a disk. Then happily charge 150+ dollars. This is stuff the user should know to do and do it on a regular basis.
        9. Don't use "internet explorer" use firefox instead. Its far better secure web browser.
        10. Don't get download happy and download anything and everything...not smart. This is more common then most think and is a huge problem.
        11. Defrag once every couple of weeks or so.
        12. Scan the HD..."computer management" XP offers this feature but actual performs this once a reboot or restart is initated. This like defrag is good overall PC maintenece/up keep.
        13. If you just want a PC to use where you don't have to perform the essential tasks to keep PC running good. They don't make those kind of PC's and never will. Or, you can consider linux, even linux needs security updates performed though.

Now if the basic maintenence doesn't resolve it.
        You then will have two very easy options.
        Either go into contol panel/system/sytem restore tab. Go this route and restore the PC to a happier earlier date when it was running good. Its very self explanatory.
        Or, throw in the XP disk and perform a repair.

I do this for a living every single day.

Understanding spyware and adware?
        If the user doesn't perform the basic maintence (have ad-aware, spybot and run them regularly)enough of it will accumulate in the PC and ultimately affect the PC's performance. If(adware and spyware)enough of it accumulates its notorious for affecting settings, causing and affecting the PC performance. When ad-ware and spybot is ran on a regular basis this won't happen.

Antivirus program or a software firewall/protection?
        Never ever get an "all in one" internet security virus program. Don't care who makes it. You really only need a good virus program for basic at home use. IP's spend big bucks to have good virus protection security running on their servers. Most threats (not all) get picked up before it every get to ones PC's. Again, thats where the at home virus protection comes in handy.
        The 'all in one" with all those addtional so called needful programs, are major resource hogs and aren't needed, IF the user performs basic maintence on his/her PC regularly. These large resource hogs will cause the PC to take a hit in performance. Sometimes it noticable sometimes its not, most of the time its noticable. Its some company trying to make some extra cash off you. Don't fall for it.

Running at small at home network of a few PC's?
        Routers and etc?
        Then additional port protection may or may not be needed, depending on what ones needs are. I'll leave that at that.
        Configuring the ports on the routers to communicate with the ports on the PC is very key, not only for security but also to avoid conflict as well. Configuring routers has become alot simplier and easier than what it use to be, which is a plus.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Hi Joe, I ran that and have over 400 things that nead repaired!! I ran the Registry cleaner one, but I nead to buy it before it will finish the job. Is it worth the $29.99 bro? I don`t want to get it if it doesn`t do the job? I appreciate everything fellas. Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]
          It's free. Just download the latest version. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner.html
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Registry cleaner is nice piece of software for those who need it. If you run ad-aware and spybot regulary you won't to have a registry cleaner. You'll be removing the threat/s that can affect "settings/registry" before damage can ever be done to need a reg cleaner.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

Beings that your not too keen on computers, I would just recommend a total reformat. Its alot easier then messing with all the spyware programs and such, and is pretty much straight forward. Just insert the CD at startup and follow the directions. Note that you will lose all your current info doing this. Also, dont worry about creating more than one partition. For someone that only uses their computer for basic tasks such as 'net, mail, and listening to music, this is of no concern.

If you really dont want to reformat, and are on cable or DSL, I can give you a program called VNC which will allow me to tap into your computer and work on it as if I was sitting there in person, I should be able to get it going better for you so long as none of the system files are damaged.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Oh and to the other guy up there, NEVER pay for spyware removal/reg clean programs. Most of them are just scams.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Adware and spyware are serious concerns and to be removed.
                  These software are free (ad-aware and spybot both) and they aren't system resource hogs. They are they most recommeded piece of software, one because they are free and secondly and more importantly are highly recommeded by most IP's tech center/s because they are very effective dealing with and removing the threat theat indeed adware and spyware has on micosoft OS. Microsofts OS's are targeted and vulnerable because it mainstream and of its design as well.

Yes, opensource OS doesn't for the most part have these concerns, but this thread isn't dealing with an opensource OS. Which is completely another ball game altogether. Granted, its a matter of an opinion and preference to some and to each their own. But, opensource doesn't have near the concern and threats that microsoft OS's do. This is obvious. Microsoft on the other hand is completely different and more vulnerable. But it isn't when basic common mantaince is done to it. When it is, its a very reliable OS.

Surely, you people don't pay for most of the software on your PC.

Comment

The errors you are seeing are caused by code crashing in the kernel. In my experience with kernel crashes on Windows of the type you described, I'd say you have a 99.99999% chance that this is a 3rd party driver that is blowing chunks.

Reformatting your hard drive will fix the problem. For now anyways. However, it doesn't get you any closer to understanding what happened and making sure it doesn't happen again.

First off, lots of things install drivers. All of the peripheral devices in your system install them. Your CD/DVD burning software most likely installed some. Here's the thing. The companies that produce those drivers have a vested interest in not blowing up your computer. So it is less likely that it's one of them because they typically will test more, get drivers certified, and quite frankly hire better engineers.

The next category of drivers would be software only drivers. On the good guy side you have anti-virus, firewall, parental controls software, etc. Again, these folks have a vested interest in not blowing up your computer and are lower risk.

On the bad guy side of software drivers you have adware, spyware, and something people forget about - copy protection. This is typically the bucket of crap for drivers. These folks could give a flying fuck about blowing up your computer. They don't test for shit, they aren't certified, etc. This crap is delivered to you in MANY FORMS. Contrary to popular belief, it ain't all because of security holes in IE. Quite the opposite but I'll leave that argument for another day. Some of the most common ways this crap gets on your computers are things like installing popular on-line service software, very popular media players, very popular gamers, and very popular browser plugins.

And then there's the kind that nobody really notices: copy protection crapola that is installed when you insert what seems like a regular old Audio CD in your computer. Tons of CDs out there are in fact dual function discs - they contain computer only content in addition to the normal CD audio. So when you pop in a new CD you will often see it pop up some little multimedia thing with band bios and such. The anti-piracy folks at the big record companies seized on this mechanism to install copy protection software on to your machine. These install drivers. Some of them are total crap and will make your computer go kablooey.

The moral of the story is to not run as an Administrator on your computer. If you are not running as an administrator, none of the mechanisms described above will be able to install anything that is machine impactful (such as drivers).
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

A cool and very interesting post Tim... I've noticed DVD's installing some screwed up crap on my systems... Didn't realize audio CDs would too. Yeesh...

Comment

If any of you want to learn more about removing internet dickcheese from your computer, visit the JCF of the antispyware world:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com

They have an active forum that actually TRAINS their experts to perform qualified work for the rest of us.

Not trying to spam the forum by providing external links, but EVERYONE could benefit from their recommendations. They personally helped me remove the nasty Aurora/Nail.exe scum from Direct Revenue... nasty little bastard it was!

This has to at least be the fourth time I've posted a link to SpywareWarrior... hopefully some of you have actually listened. Sorry to sound like I have a superiority complex but I'm just passing on what could save many JCFers a lot of problems related to this, especially when JCFers post about these sorts of computer problems.

Comment

Thanks man, looks like good reading! I appreciate your posting the link!

Comment

It's definitely good reading indeed, even though they talk about a lot of mumbo-jumbo that exceeds my level of intelligence and passion for destroying scumware... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You computer-savvy dudes would find it a lot more helpful than I do! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't use internet explorer!

www.firefox.com

Comment

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...kmsgs/1138.asp

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_N..._OR_EQUAL.html

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000365.htm

What driver fails?

Like in this post, the usb fails

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27803-1.html

Comment

Working...
                                X