Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer System Restore????

[ QUOTE ]

And then there's the kind that nobody really notices: copy protection crapola that is installed when you insert what seems like a regular old Audio CD in your computer. Tons of CDs out there are in fact dual function discs - they contain computer only content in addition to the normal CD audio. So when you pop in a new CD you will often see it pop up some little multimedia thing with band bios and such. The anti-piracy folks at the big record companies seized on this mechanism to install copy protection software on to your machine. These install drivers. Some of them are total crap and will make your computer go kablooey.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a way to disable to autoplay feature when you insert a CD that installs all that copy protection and crap-ola. I remember I couldn't rip a particular CD (slash's new band...whatever they're called) until I did that. It pissed me off. I'll have to look up the procedure and report back later.

[ QUOTE ]

The moral of the story is to not run as an Administrator on your computer. If you are not running as an administrator, none of the mechanisms described above will be able to install anything that is machine impactful (such as drivers).

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is good advice, unfortunately, this is easier said than done. A lot of software just breaks if you run as a non-admin.

And sometimes it's a moot point...the computer owner who does do this will simply re-login as Administrator and revisit the website to install the program to view something funny that his friend sent to him. So it's almost like what's the point?

However, it does protect you from your wife and kids downloading malware behind your back if you set them up as non-Administrators.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I appreciate all of your help bros!! Rob, you have a PM and Joe, I responded back to your PM [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I will be the odd man out and recommend the Microsoft Anti-Spyware. I have seen it clean up stuff many times that Adware and SpyBot would not get. I have it running on all my PC's.

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I will be the odd man out and recommend the Microsoft Anti-Spyware. I have seen it clean up stuff many times that Adware and SpyBot would not get. I have it running on all my PC's.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

I know some of the guys working on that. They are *really* good. Glad to hear it's working for you.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

My hat's off to them. That program really works well.

Matt

Comment

Working...
            X