Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigantour After thoughts?

I saw Gigantour today.

Bobaflex- Not into them much at all. The one song they started, they said "think of sucking your dads dick, and eating your mom out at the same time", that's not the way to win me over. The guys did some neat things on guitar, and had sweet amps.

Next was Nevermore on the main stage. They played, The River Dragon, Narco Synthesis, The Sound of Silence, and some other stuff. I'll be honest, I know the songs to hear them, but all the titles.

Jeff played the same Schecter the whole show, a 7 string, with EMG's and a Floyd. The other guitarist had a white BC Rich Warlock, with the sweet headstock. They had a back line of Krank amps.

Tonally, it was together in some places, but the lead tone was too shrill (that could be part sound guy). I thought their show was so damn good, I could have stood to see more. There was only 30 minutes of these guys.

I didn't watch too much from either Dry Kill Logic, or Dillinger Escape plan. DKL played 2nd stage, DEP played main. I listened to 2 songs from each, and thought both bands had sounds that my ears didn't like to hear.

Symphony X- Good musicians, but for the most part, it wasn't that great to me. I liked seeing them, as they did a good job, but I'm not going to go buy the cds.

Fear Factory-....Holy shit, these guys knocked my socks off. For the most part, I'm not into screaming music. I heard a bunch of shit about FF since the fat guy (dino) either left, or was booted (I don't follow the drama from bands I don't really care about). CoW was playing all Jacksons. He played 2 Red archtops, a Black King V, a silver burst archtop, and a black archtop. There were other guitars in his rack, that he didn't use.

All had ebony boards with no markers, and only one EMG pickup in the bridge. The silverburst had a floyd (if memory serves me, may have been a red one, or BOTH!?)

This is what perplexed me...That silverburst DEFINATELY WAS NECK THROUGH, the one red I thought was, the other red I doubted myself, and the black one was. The king v also was neck through... If the dinky is his signature model, why's it a bolt on? Then again, I may be wrong about the signature model, but I do know that there were some neck throughs, and at least one that made me unsure (I didn't get to see the backs of his guitars until he tossed them to the tech, and sometimes he did that when I was checking out some hot hussies asses).

He was also using Krank amps. I think they may be been revolutions, because I didn't see the dime plaque on the cabs, but then again, I very very very well could be wrong.

Life of Agony- Nice nice nice...happy to see them back, and touring.

Dream Theater-...I like these guys because of John. I realized after seeing them, why I only like them for John. Lebree (spelling) was singing so god damn fucking high, (yeah I'm swearing, it was that high), and the sound guy must have been boosting the highs.

Musically, the band was spot on, but I wasn't too into them tonight. I was mainly here for Nevermore, and Megadeth (yeah, flame me, I like the band, and I think Dave is funny and great).

Megadeth-
    Glen Drover, excellent job, and hopefully he does more than just this tour, I think he does great. He played an LTD, then switched to an ESP with a custom vic painty for Peace Sells, then back to the LTD.
    Dave Mustaine-Nice, thanks for coming back man, I was really happy to see the band. He played a bunch of ESP DV8 vs, and a double neck.
    Shawn Drover-I don't think the guy sweats!!! The whole show, he barely broke a sweat.
    James- not too bad! Kept in time, and interacted with the crowd, I can't complain.

Megadeth had a great light show, and some awesome pyro.

A little about the show. My ticket was 41 after Tickmasters so convenient, convenience charge. My 2 friends also got tickets.

Started at 3, ended about 15 after 10PM. The day was nice, there was sun, but no humidity.

The venue was the Chevy theater in Pittsburgh PA (formerly known as the IC Light) it was in the station square.

Attendance was low until Fear factory, then even more at DT< and then MD packed it.

Drinks, well concert drinks are a rip.

Restrooms-trashed.

Chicks-many

Mullets-minimal.

There was a contest... to win a guitar. Some LTD thing, signed by the band. I bought two tickets, I figured, for 10$, I can buy these, if I win, I'll take them to the ESP board.

I had 840541 and 840542 (I may be wrong on the order of the 405, but everything else is right, the tickets are down stairs, and I'm upstairs).

They called 840544. I had actually planned on spending 30$ on tickets (6 tickets) since someone stopped by and paid me 20$ they owed me, and I didn't expect it.

15 minutes later, they call again, saying whoever had 840544 must be too drunk. They called another number, 840538 or 7, can't remember.

I was a little upset...I was close, but hey, I've got some nice shit, and the kid who won, looked needy, so great, hopefully it gets him playing.

The thing that REALLY FUCKING MADE ME MAD was this.

FYE (music sales and shit) had this fucking tent. At a certain time, the artists would be in the tent, signing cd's you bought...you bought there... Prices were 18-27$...for a fucking CD!!!

I met Nevermore, and was speaking with Jeff for a few minutes, whilst he signed autographs. I didn't get one, I figured the people who bought the cds should, since I just wanted to chat guitar shit with him. I didn't ask him many questions, I mainly complimented him, and his playing (which he plays down) in person, this guy looks like a kid!!! He was busy doing photos and shit, so I shook his hand, and said that I was happy to see them, because I really like them. He asked if I played, I said yeah, and he said, "don't ever stop". Shook his hand, gave him the horns, and went on my way.

I met Boba whatever, but I didn't really want them to sign anything.

I met Symphony X, I really didn't care if they signed anything, I just chatted with the guitarist for a few minutes, and let the paying customers get their shit.

I didn't meet FF, DT, DEP, or DKL. I had a chance to meet DEP and DKL, but I didn't want to. I missed the FF meet, and DT had pre signed cds.

Megadeth...this is where my rant starts!

I own Capitol punishment, Cryptic writings, treasures, Countdown, Killing is my, risk, rip, still alive and well, the system has failed, Peace Sells, SFSGSW, TWNAH, and youthanasia. I've also got, the remastered for, CW, PSBWB, Risk, SAAW, Youth, CTE, RIP, SFSGSW, also back to the start.

So, I see this line, I'm like, wtf is this line? the guy says, "to get Megadeth to sign" I was like, sweet, so I stood in like for like 20 minutes, before some douche bag from FYE told me I needed a bracelet, and to get one, I had to buy a cd...

I understand, dling running rampant, and cd sales down, this is a great tactic to sell a disc, however, it's a tactic that pisses me off. I said, fuck it, I own enough cds, I'll just let someone else get their shit signed.

That did put a damper in my day. So aside from almost winning the guitar 2x, not getting Dave Mustaines autograph, and paying a shit load for some drinks, I was sad. Seeing some guy punch another guy in the face, and lots of girls, that made me happy. Also, the bands didn't do bad at all. Even the bands I didn't like, did well at what they do.

By far my favs were MD, DT, FF, NM, LoA.

Take it for what it is, it's not meant to be a stone solid review, because I'm probably forgetting something, and it's not meant to be a "like this band or this band thing".

Re: Gigantour After thoughts?

I saw them the day before you. Almost didn't get to go but ended up getting there at the first song in Dream Theaters set. Man, those guys actually blew me away. I've been getting into them since I heard they were on the bill. They played flawlessly and really got a good reaction from the crowd. They closed out with Metropolis (which has been my favorite from them). Getting to hear them rip through that like it was easy was a big treat for me.

Megadeth came on. Dave seemed to be in a great mood & had a very friendly dialogue going with the crowd. They kicked all kinds of ass. It was the most entertaining show I saw them play since the Youth tour. Glen was pretty much dead on with the solos. It was also nice to see Dave taking control of most of the lead work - I love his style. I was 5 feet from the stage so for once I got see everything up close.

In all I am very glad it worked out that I got to go and check this tour out.

Comment

Imagine, having to spend money to get Dave's autograph.
      "POOP"

Comment

It wasn't just Dave's autograph. It was the FYE stand making people buy CDs, to get the wrist band. I mean, I'm sure the bands don't object to it, but, what the hell.

The fucked up thing was, I met just about every other band, and I spoke to one of my friends last night, who rode down with some different people. Dave signed everyones shit, he didn't really care about the bracelet... that burned me a bit.

I probably should have mentioned, Megadeth ripped out a lot of songs. They played like 7 songs before he even said anything. Then he said something like "we've got a lot to play for you, so rather than waste your time, listening to me talk, we're going to hunker down, and play all night".

He then mentioned how this was the 100th date for them on tour, for this tour (I don't think he meant gigantour, I think he meant for his new cd) and it was so great, because Pittsburgh is going to stand out even more. Towards the end, he took a few minutes to introduce the band. Then he said before Holy Wars "This is what happens when you mix politics and religion, and he made the no no no sign with his hand, like a tsk tsk".

At the end, they got up, bowed for the fans, you know that whole gig.

Love em, or hate em, Megadeth shows are good, and I know I'll be checking out more.

Comment

i saw the gigantour in tampa for free. they gave away thousand's of tickets because apparently NO ONE bought them. we had first level seats on the right side of the stage. even giving away free tickets the place was pratically empty.

i agree about FF. they were great. first time i saw them was when they opened for maiden's x-factor tour. great then, great now. i thought DT was terrible. my date and i left and went to the bar. MD was killer though. fire, explosions....the drover bro's were killer. we left early though because the girl i went with likes country music and she had her metal fill (it was her first metal concert ever).
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've been hearing from people, that each show subsquently sells more tickets, by word of mouth. I don't know if that makes sense, but it kind of does to me. People are apprehensive about a tour, they've not been to before. I mean, fuck, had it been me, I would have paid 40$ to see Megadeth alone. My ideal line up (I think I posted it above) would have been, FF LoA, NM, DT, MD.

It's not that I tought DT did a bad job, because they were on fire, and everyone liked them, just the sound guy was killing us. That and, the casual music listener doesn't want to hear 8+ minute songs, even if they are by some of the best musicians around. They did a good job of keeping the place packed at the stage though.

They ended our night with Pull me Under, which people went nuts for, until the 10,000 changes, when James stops singing. The guys I went with, had never been to a concert, so I popped their proverbial cherry, got some people turned onto that kind of music, but anyway they asked "is this a new song" about 10 times with DT playing.

Comment

you pretty much hit the nail about DT for me. i think they are great at what they do, but i HATE all the soloing. i've them twice recently, w/ queensryhce and fates warning and then on gigantour. i love it on CD and DVD, but being there live it gets too noisy. plus at the tampa show they were LOUD. too loud if i tell the truth. their music is about complexity, and with the excessive volume those solos and stuff turned to noise.

i was trying to convince rebcca that she'd like them during their set up. fates warning's "X" was playing over the PA and she was enjoying that. i told her DT wasn't too different. then they came out at like 150 db (not reallly, but...) playing some crappy song that sounded like bad power metal. she looked at me like i was crazy. we lasted about 20 minutes (only like 2 songs though!!) before we left.

great band, but.....
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Life of Agony- Nice nice nice...happy to see them back, and touring.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it? What did they play? Were they on?

Life of Agony are the only reason I'm going. I've either seen all the other bands before many times, or have no interest in them. I saw L.O.A open for Anthrax many years ago, and they were truly awe inspiring. They put on a fantastic show.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Pretty nice review, Deneb. Too bad you didn't know about the "gotta buy a CD" thing and stood in line though; that's been a repeated complaint on forums since the tour began. You could have saved yourself that line time. It seems to be the current thing, not just at Gigantour, making fans buy shit to meet the band.

I think Tampa is the closest Gigantour comes to me, and I'm not driving 500 miles even though it's a killer lineup. I guess all those years in L.A. spoiled me, I might drive from Santa Monica to Irvine Meadows/Verizon (50 miles each way) but that was about it.
                  Now it's the same, Mobile or New Orleans is about it for my concert range.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I typed a whole big Gigantour abortion when they came thry Shitland..I mean Cleveland..

and the whole gotta buy somethin' before I fuck your ass.....thing

the whole thing with that ...thing and stuff [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I loved DT, especially. DT blew away Megadeth end of june. John's getting a Powerman 5000 kind of look nowadays though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        you pretty much hit the nail about DT for me. i think they are great at what they do, but i HATE all the soloing. i've them twice recently, w/ queensryhce and fates warning and then on gigantour. i love it on CD and DVD, but being there live it gets too noisy. plus at the tampa show they were LOUD. too loud if i tell the truth. their music is about complexity, and with the excessive volume those solos and stuff turned to noise.

i was trying to convince rebcca that she'd like them during their set up. fates warning's "X" was playing over the PA and she was enjoying that. i told her DT wasn't too different. then they came out at like 150 db (not reallly, but...) playing some crappy song that sounded like bad power metal. she looked at me like i was crazy. we lasted about 20 minutes (only like 2 songs though!!) before we left.

great band, but.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I seen that tour too! I was told that the day I went, was the ONLY day that Degarmo was missing, and that the drummer from FW was missing...made me angry, because I wanted to see the original QR line up once.

About LoA, fuck yeah, they were on! They were the last 2nd stage band at this show, but I don't know if the 2nd stage bands change times, however this is nice, no bands at like 8AM, they start at 3PM. LoA, I met them, they were down to Earth, it was great. I mentioned I had met them in State College PA, and JZ actually remembered me! They played a lot of songs from the new cd, (I've got it, but not too familiar with it). I heard their song line up changes at each show (same with Nevermore from what I've heard, and if DT ended with Pull me Under for me, and Metro for the other guy, makes sense to think they are changing too).

The verdict is this, aside from the buying a cd bullshit (All of the 2nd stage bands ignored that) the ticket was 40$ the show was fun, and it was worth my money. The show started at 3, ended just after ten. Not a 12hour thing like Ozzfest, so you're not beat to shit at the end of the day.

Comment

that's funny, there's no way in hell I'd buy an overpriced cd to meet any band. I have no interest anyway in meeting guys in bands I like, it is almost ALWAYS a let down.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

NeverMore I saw it here in Miami/WPB NeverMore had a 25 min set wich sucked but was the best part of the show. Everything else I don't have a very good opinion about.
                            According To The Prophecy

Comment

I paid 15bucks to get a mustaine meet and greet pass, and I tell ya the truth, he and the gang were fucking cool as shit. Hell, Junior wouldnt shut up! Marty is so, well, Marty. and Daves presence is so overpowering, but he was really nice.
                              I didnt get to go to see them [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] but I hope I get another chance someday.
                              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Working...
                              X