Definition of a band's sell-out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of a band's sell-out?

I have thought a lot of bands have 'sold out' over the years, but as I get older, I started thinking - maybe selling out is a state of mind.

Sell out points for favorite bands:
    Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
    Judas Priest - Turbo
    Metallica - right after MOP
    Motley Crue - theatre of pain
    Aerosmith - Done with mirrors
    In Flames - Reroute to remain?
    Ozzy - the ultimate sin?

etc.

I define sellout as stpping moving forward...
    When you find a formula to stick with. I guess the exception to my definition of sellout would be Judas Priest - I believe they have sold out, but not because they are stagnant. But because the 'sparkle' is gone from them. The performances are stellar, but scripted. Every album is different, but it's a calculated formula of change and all the lyrical content is uninspiring and mechanical - not poetic or probing like 'some' of the early stuff.

Some would say selling out occurs when the band gets popular, but there are bands that keep their integrity after the peak of their popularity - so I can't say I believe that.

Is 'selling out' a real thing, or a matter of perpective?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Definition of a band\'s sell-out?

I think catering to your audience is selling out and sticking to the formula that works (in my eyes Slayer are uber sell-outs).

And how in the name of holy fuck did Metallica sell out after MOP by your definition? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Judas Priest didn't sell out, they changed their sound because they wanted to experiment, that led to Painkiller, which is one of my favourite albums ever. Alot of bands do sell out, but not those ones.
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I think there's a real snobbish elitist attitude when fans think bands "sell out". To me, it's all musical evolution and experimentation. It's expanding creativity, and covering more sonic territory, not stifling yourself to one thing. I don't want a second "The Number Of The Beast" or another "Screaming For Vengeance" or more "Pyromania".

I can appreciate the various eras of a band's work, even if it isn't necessarily my cup of tea. They work hard to bring us music, and I won't complain. However, others feel the need to, because they're not being appeased. Screw them. If you want to hear a certain something, you try being in a band and making records to your own liking.

They think they're "true fans" when they are gung-ho about a certain album or set of albums. To me, being a true fan is encompassing the entire artist's catalog and finding something enlightening or enjoyable about every little bit.

I am definitely not from the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

By the way, "Somewhere In Time" is, in my very biased view, the single greatest Maiden disc, so if that's a "sellout" album, then I'm a sellout as well. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I got THE ULTIMATE sell out example ..Lynch mob .."smoke this"...WTF???

and Dokken had some real boners too...1994 and 1995 was a very bad time for metal..it was the Democrats...it was.

the whole entire Clinton years were bad for metal..

now Bush is back....metal is back ...i see a connection.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm voting for Metal and Bush ...again...can he run again..he should just be the prez until he dies...like the pope...

I knew it was the civil rights left wing agenda that got rid of metal...

watch put a dem in office and it will be CEBS all over again! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

LIBERALS hate metal...it's a fact...remember wgen Cartman had to drill tru all those hippies and disperse the large hippy crowd with a Slayer CD in that SP episode....That was tremendous..and TRUE!!!!!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think Kory Clarke from Warrior Soul said it best... once you put out an album for sale, you're a sellout! So everybody's a sellout. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Aerosmith - Done with mirrors

[/ QUOTE ]
              Done With Mirrors was awesome... it was the point when the band got back together, and it was a cross between their old style and the more poppy direction they were about to go in. I think it's probably their last best album before the new crap, IMO. Not that they're bad now, they just changed.

Comment

That reminds me... I used to belong to a message board whose members said that as soon as you made enough money to be able to eat, you're a sellout. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Might as well not even bother making music then. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  By the way, "Somewhere In Time" is, in my very biased view, the single greatest Maiden disc, so if that's a "sellout" album, then I'm a sellout as well. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I love that album, too. It was one of the first with guitar synths at the time, and they used them well. 7th Son is also a favorite of mine. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

QUEENSRYCHE and MEGADETH...oh hell those are some great example too...if they wern't mentioned already..

Megadeth at least reddemed themselves or at least attempting to..

Queensryche...hell with them...I gave up on them about 15 years ago...they don't exist to me anymore.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

here's my woert thre ..

Megadeth ..Risk...sure was
                      Queensryche...everything after Empire...and even some of empire sucks.
                      Lynch Mob...Smoke this...yeah that went platinum! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        here's my woert thre ..

Megadeth ..Risk...sure was
                        Queensryche...everything after Empire...and even some of empire sucks.
                        Lynch Mob...Smoke this...yeah that went platinum! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        +1 but I think you need to go back even further Everything Mustaine did after RIP was really weak in comparison except the new one, about half of that actually sounds like he really cared about the music instead of selling records. And I thought Mindcrime was great but Empire sucked MAJOR ASS, I saw them open for Maiden a couple years ago, One of the worst shows I've ever seen.
                        http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Thanks guys, I knew I'd catch hell for some of my picks, and to clarify a few things,

somewhere in time was the moment I noticed Maiden's formula - and it felt forced to me. Alexander the Great's chorus was the defining moment that killed the album for me.

Done with mirrors was a great album, I should have said pump or whatever had that elevator song.

Metallica MOP was a pinnacle, after that they made a music video. Something they said they'd never do - sell out moment. I am not saying I didn't enjoy a lot of what came after that including garage days, but you should never use an absolute term like 'we will NEVER' make a music video unless you will never make one. BTW, I have nothing against videos.

Priest is my all time favorite band, I like turbo a lot, I loved painkiller. The new one's not bad. I liked Ripper Owens too, but it is starting to sound like a formula for not having a formula if that makes sense?
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

My definition of a sellout is when you change your direction to cater to a larger audience, whether you're making a hell of a lot more money or playing arenas and such (hence selling out).

You're no longer catering to your fans who made you popular in the first place...you start writing sappy pop songs to please everyone and their 10 year old sisters.

Example...Metallica's black album. As good as some of the songs were....Enter 'Fucking' Sandman! C'MON!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

Well I really don't see selling out as a bad thing all of the time as long as the music didn't suck on the said sell out

Its easy to say as a fan but you have to look at it as a profession, your job is to sell records and sell out shows. If the record doesn't sell your shows wont. Its a fine balancing act. Call me a sell out but hey at least I'm eating real food instead or Raman noodles and touring in a 1978 van with 7 dudes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That is one of things that turned me off so much about the music business, what is hot selling 99.9% requires no musical talent. Its all fad based. The bands that stick to their guns and keep doing what they believe in are the cool ones. I never liked Metallica so I can't comment on their selling out. JP and Maiden haven't sold out imho. George lynch did sell out by going baritone and not soloing, that isnt George Lynch...he was changing to be "in" with the music that was in at the time.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X