Definition of a band's sell-out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Definition of a band\'s sell-out?

ok...my question for all of the people who accuse bands of selling out...this is their job correct?...and when you are at your job...do you wish to make more money or less?...a lot of supposition has been posted here about why these bands change their directions or don't...in reality none of us are "in" on the decision making process of when a band changes said direction...it could be the record companies...or it could be the bands themselves too...any number of motivations could be behind aforementioned change...the plain simple fact is this...ac/dc likes their sound the way it is and it doesn't change...other artists, myself included, are always trying to grow and expand...not once on this thread have i seen mentioned anywhere that a lot of these bands made a lot of money and then decided to do the records they may have wanted to do...ie: take an artistic chance...music, after all, is a very subjective topic...what one likes another may hate...but for us to label these bands as sellouts is unfair when we do not know all the facts and never will...we can only judge what they decide to put out to us, the buying public, and make our own decisions...if the term sellout frightens so many artists on this board then i have one piece of advice for you...choose another career path besides music...because, in reality, as soon as you sign tht dotted line, your "art" immediately becomes a "product"...hence...you have sold out right then...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I'm going to sell my sperm on Ebay..

it is of the highest quality of all baby batter.

and I have a endless supply....

is that selling out.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        They stick to the formula that works. Depending on their TRUE motivation I'd either call them sell-outs or bad/motivationless musicians.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call it integrity.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

"I call it integrity."

the hell you say..."integrity" only exist in metal...WE do it for music , for ourselves , not for $$$

$$$ is awesome I love rubbing it on my nads...it gives me POWER!!!

But I will NEVER bow down...I will never sell out...except if it's like a gagillion dollars in one lump sum...and then maybe..I could afford to hide my head in shame..like in Mexico...where I will change my identitiy..

so nobody will recognize that I was ever a FAG! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            GodofRhythm, you must notice my username. The pun
            [ QUOTE ]
            Diehard Metallica fans? Where?

[/ QUOTE ]
            was spun off from my username dude. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              "I call it integrity."

the hell you say..."integrity" only exist in metal...WE do it for music , for ourselves , not for $$$

$$$ is awesome I love rubbing it on my nads...it gives me POWER!!!

But I will NEVER bow down...I will never sell out...except if it's like a gagillion dollars in one lump sum...and then maybe..I could afford to hide my head in shame..like in Mexico...where I will change my identitiy..

so nobody will recognize that I was ever a FAG! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Bill, I never thought I would say this, but what the fuck are you talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

"Bill, I never thought I would say this, but what the fuck are you talking about?"

hey I have no clue.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I was om anbien and xanax when I wrote that...I just read it twice..I guess that is called..PWI..Posting While Intoxicated..

please forgive me..for I know not what I do.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Lars Ulrich wanted Bob Rock to engineer/mix the black album, then Bob Rock turned on them and said he wanted to produce it.
                  This was because BR felt that Metallica were better live than they had previously been able to showcase on their records...

buy the "classic albums: metallica" dvd if you want the whole story.

as far as selling out, probably 99% of what is offered on MTV and mainstream radio these days are in it purely for the money, and a LOT of the artists involved don't have any real musical talents, but maybe weigh up for that in marketing terms with such as, good looks, charisma...handling themselves in front of a crowd etc.

I think it is very wrong for a fan to say "band xxx sold out when they released blablabla" just because they don't like the music....I grew up on early Metallica, then when the Black album was released I immediately didn't "get it" and I only liked a couple of songs...but after a while it grew on me, and today it's definitely a milestone record in any sense of the word.
                  I also like Load but that is attributed to my diverse taste, I like a lot of rock and some blues, just as well as metal.
                  I can see when the typical "spinal tap" metal fan will disregard Load, because they don't like the music.
                  But saying Metallica did Load/Reload for the money, now THAT is BS....they already had all the money in the world from 15 million sales of BA and constant touring behind it.

I think we definitely need to give musicians more slack rather than jumping on everything that's new and different...if you don't like it fine, but don't judge on their motives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    but maybe weigh up for that in marketing terms with such as, good looks, charisma...handling themselves in front of a crowd etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also a TALENT not only playing friggin' arpeggios at 4000 BPM.
                    Those MTV artists work HARD, watch some videos, they jump around like some monkeys, pro dancing is hard as HELL, almost everyone who is BIG has some talent, playing an instrument and writing metal riffs isn't the only thing that matters.
                    And I think Metallica's Load and ReLoad were a pretty good rock albums, heavy rock wasn't big in the late 90's so they definetly didn't write music that was "IN" at that time.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      in reality, as soon as you sign tht dotted line, your "art" immediately becomes a "product"...hence...you have sold out right then...d.m.

[/ QUOTE ]

You raise a good point DM...I totally agree with that. But when it comes to loyalty, and originality to the fans, there's bands that will stick to their guns, and not change what they do for the almighty dollar, and write material that their fans want to hear. Slayer is a good example of this. You won't hear Slayer writing a "radio-friendly" song any time soon...just to broaden their fanbase. Same for bands like Nevermore just to name another.

Remember back in the 80's...a lot of bands fought to keep the genre underground....even Metallica, who swore up and down that they would never ever do an MTV video, and just a year later out comes "One"? That (IMO) is when they sold out. The moment they (or whoever was directing their career at the time) decided, well maybe we SHOULD do a video.

Some do it for the fans (the loyalty)....
                      Some do it for the money....(the sellouts)

Comment

Metallica did not "sell out", imho. They definitly reached a much larger audience with the black album, which is still one of the most kick-ass hard rock albums of all time (I don't see anyone blaming AC/DC for turning them out, oh I'm sorry, since they've been doing them for nearly 4 decades now, that's not considered selling out!).

I think the greatest issue with 'selling out' is how it's totally in the eye of the beholder.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Sellout is when the band no longer has any albums to sell and has to have a new batch pressed [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

In my opinion a band sells out when it is no longer about the music and it is entirely about the money, if a band is happy they make music from doing something they love they didn't sell out but if all they give a rat's ass about is how much money they made they sold out.

A good example of my philosophy is creed: they were doing their thing and when they made the big bucks all they cared about was that people went to their shows, not that they were blown away at the afformentioned shows and thusly gave shitty shows because they didn't care about the music.

But this is all my opinion.

Comment

I'm not too versed on sell out artists and popular bands and MTV crap..

I listen to metal...

thats it.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

me neither, but I've heard they suck so hard that it's almost to a comical level.

Comment

Working...
                                X