X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Definition of a band\'s sell-out?

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And Slayer sucks, always has and always will. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    If it weren't for Slayer, half the bands you listen to today wouldn't be. Reign In Blood changed the face of metal! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only did it change the face of metal,it bent it over and kicked the shit right out of it's ass! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Hell yeah!! And whoever said before about Slayer getting on a major label and selling out... umm, hello, Rick Rubin got them on his American Records label (that label was all rap artists at the time) and put out Reign In Blood, and they're still with American today. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Anyone saying Slayer sold-out is asinine,they are the anti-sellout in my book.Them and S.O.D. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

None of the bands I NOW listen were heavily influenced of Slayer, I was a huge Thrash fan when I was younger, but Slayer was the only band that I didn't like. Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Metallica, Exodus, Flotsam & Jetsam etc. etc. I listened all of them, but Slayer, bahhh, no melodys, awful guitar playing etc. A lot of those thrash bands were influenced of Slayer somehow, but I hear more Metallica in them than Slayer. And I really don't care about thrash anymore altho I listen to Megadeth and Antrax sometimes. I personally think that Slayer influenced Death metal bands, Thrash IMO is NWOBHM + Punk + Whateva.

And I still stand at my point, Brintey has some musical talent, and I don't gonna explain how [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You have to figure it you by yourself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Slayer Sucks....OH MY FUCK! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

BLASPHEMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
            --------------------------------------------------------

BRITNEY !!...you just got the HOTS for her..it's OK..these feelings are natural...and you may start to grow hair in funny places.. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Love your father,

Bill Z Bub
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ozzy

Comment

^.....I'm not debating that...not a peep from me.. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I would hump Britney, she never had a real man before, maybe then she starts singing metal [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    I thought Lars said it best when he defined a "sell out"
                    He said sure we are a sell out. We sell out every place we play.
                    in the immortal words or Doc.. nuff said..

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

That was Newsted that said that, and there's mention of it somewhere here in this thread, but I can't find it right now.
                    Yeah..selling out arenas everywhere they play because they are money whores! They don't care what the general public (nevermind their pre "Black album" fanbase) thinks.
                    They went after Napster?...why?....because they thought they were losing tons of their hard(ly)-earned millions writing happy fucking radio-friendly pop songs. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

I don't care what anyone here says....Metallica Fucking blatantly $OLD OUT! Whether anyone thinks that's an ignorant comment....oh well. I'll take my flames for it then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I haven't been a fan of Metallica since MOP actually. I should have realized that Jason said that. Lars isn't bright enough to come up with a comment like that unless it was teleprompted.

Comment

• Re: Definition of a band\'s sell-out?

I gotta disagree with the whole 'sell out thing'. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] Any band that wants to pursue another direction has that right and shouldn't be judged by the spectators on the sidelines, after all, it is their music.

That also goes for selling their music for a tv ad. So what! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      In reality, if one of yous has a big hit commercially, and someone from Nike comes up and offers 5 mil/10 mil to use that song for one of their ads. Again, so what. 5 mil is 5 mil. Someone walks up to me an a street and says, "hey, I got this winning lottery ticket for 5 mil that I'll give to you if you let me stick my Democratic endorsement poster on your lawn", you think I'm gonna say " oh, no way man, I'm a Republican and it's against my beliefs? Fukk no, I'd tell him he can put a poster of Hillary, Gore and Kerry in a threesome there. I'm still gonna vote Republican!

Now, I can see special circumstances, like, if my grandmother died and I wrote a song for her and it becomes a big hit. Then I'm approached by someone who wants to use it in a douche commercial [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]. Common sense.

It is a business and if anyone didn't want to be recognized, wouldn't sign with a record company in the first place, but if you signed with a record company, then you signed a business deal for money! Bottom line!
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

My final comment on this topic is:

Some do it for the integrity of the initial goal of the band, and sticking true to their guns, no matter what the corperate suits tell them to do. If they get booted from one label to the next, as long as they have their own artistic freedom.

Some do it purely for the money, and don't give a shit what any of their fans think, and change direction so many times in one career. Those, to me are the sellouts. They're not doing a goddamn thing for their fans, and worrying about how big their next paycheck will be.

Period...'nuff said.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          None of the bands I NOW listen were heavily influenced of Slayer, I was a huge Thrash fan when I was younger, but Slayer was the only band that I didn't like. Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Metallica, Exodus, Flotsam & Jetsam etc. etc. I listened all of them, but Slayer, bahhh, no melodys, awful guitar playing etc. A lot of those thrash bands were influenced of Slayer somehow, but I hear more Metallica in them than Slayer. And I really don't care about thrash anymore altho I listen to Megadeth and Antrax sometimes. I personally think that Slayer influenced Death metal bands, Thrash IMO is NWOBHM + Punk + Whateva.

And I still stand at my point, Brintey has some musical talent, and I don't gonna explain how [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You have to figure it you by yourself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with every single thing you have said, Endrik. Down to musical preferences. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

----------

Ken,

Marty Friedman sold out? Alex Skolnick sold out?

I just can not get past the fact that you believe a band should keep catering to their 'original fans'.
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Funny thing is that the best Thrash guitar players, Friedman and Skolnick were never into the metal, specially Marty. Alex made great stuff with Testament but he got bored of doing the same thing all the time and then he started playing jazz. And Marty wasn't never a metal fan, he only liked those old NWOBHM bands, he joined Megadeth because of the money, yes that's right, he was very poor and gave guitar lessons to buy some food and pay the rent. But when he got the gig then he made Megadeth AWSOME, but after 10 years he got bored and started to make the stuff he really loves, pop-rock-punk. But both did something for their old fans too, Marty made a shred album and Alex did the Testament reunion tour. I think they both aren't sell-outs.

Comment

Ching Ching, Endrik. We're like one the same golflength here, buddy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I know bro [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X