Saw Diamond Dave last night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saw Diamond Dave last night!

DLR = Greatest rock show cheerleader ever. Deep philosophical thinking with stoner delivry. He knows how to entertain and lead a band. That's key. Everybody ages. He's not as old as Mick Jagger & the Stones. He doesn't define himself solely by being in VH.

Hager = Lucky to have had the same Lambroghini mechanic as Ed. Financially it was the best break of his life. Seems like an OK guy personally , but not a memorable figure in rock history.

EVH never gave proper credit to DLR. For that, he's a prick. EVH has dropped the ball so many times after 1984 he should have been forced out of the game early on.

Even Hager has slammed EVH. I respect him for that instead of sucking ass cause he's made $$$ from filling the DLR slot.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Hager = Seems like an OK guy personally , but not a memorable figure in rock history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dude, but Hagar was making rock and roll history before Kung Fu Dave. You must have slept that day during history cless. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "POOP"

Comment

Sammy was kicking ass in Montrose back in the mid to late 70's. Rock Candy baby.... hot sweet and sticky.
        He is absolutely memorable. He also sang on a ton of VH mega hits. I still like DLR better though. Dave kills live, whether or not he is singing in key or remembering the words. Thats just plain COOL.

BOTTOM LINE!!!! Some singers need to sing great to be great. Dave only needs to be Dave.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Sammy was kicking ass in Montrose back in the mid to late 70's.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 Amen to that!
          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Hey...it may have been just a rumor...but wasn't the original memebers of montrose suppose to get back together and either tour or do the studio thing?
            I'd definitely buy one.
            Ronnie is a legend.
            One really needs to search out a copy of his solo ablum/disk, "Gamma2".
            The man is absolutely incredible on it. Its a must.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

C'Mon dudes, "Bad Motor Scooter" & "Rock Candy" did not set the rock world on its ear like the early VH stuff with Roth. Roth had the talent and presense of a frontman that doesn't come off generic like most. Rock Candy would sound better with DLR putting his spin on it. Would be interesting.

Some Montrose stuff is OK I guess, but the production sounds way flat compared with VH. Montrose and Sammy's solo stuff can't hold up in the same way as the DLR VH stuff.

Sammy might as well have been in Blue Oyster Cult, Angel, etc. Sammy was never a cool rock star figure or a memorable singer. DLR had a pretty good solo career compared with Sam. Unless Sam is your first taste of VH and you were a fan of VH after 1984 (the album & the year). Never have gotten Sam's appeal.

Kung Foo Dave vs. Margarita Sammy? The Bruce Lee antics get my vote. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                C'Mon dudes, "Bad Motor Scooter" & "Rock Candy" did not set the rock world on its ear like the early VH stuff with Roth. Roth had the talent and presense of a frontman that doesn't come off generic like most. Rock Candy would sound better with DLR putting his spin on it. Would be interesting.

Some Montrose stuff is OK I guess, but the production sounds way flat compared with VH. Montrose and Sammy's solo stuff can't hold up in the same way as the DLR VH stuff.

Sammy might as well have been in Blue Oyster Cult, Angel, etc. Sammy was never a cool rock star figure or a memorable singer. DLR had a pretty good solo career compared with Sam. Unless Sam is your first taste of VH and you were a fan of VH after 1984 (the album & the year). Never have gotten Sam's appeal.

Kung Foo Dave vs. Margarita Sammy? The Bruce Lee antics get my vote. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not disputing who was more popular. VH of course is the most popular gig Sammy ever got. My post was just pointing out that Sammy was doing it successfully with Montrose when Van Halen was playing high school graduation parties. I know because one of my good friends lived in CA at the time and VH played at his graduation.
                Oh yea.. and another thing.. Rock Candy and Bad Motor Scooter were very popular songs back then. Rick Derringer was very popular at the same time. Back in the mid to late 70's Rick Derringer and Ronnie Montrose were considered just like Vai and Satriani are now.
                On a side note, I saw Rick Derringer many times live back in the late 70's and his guitar solo was incredible. Hammer-ons, pull offs, ghost bends, all kinds of whammy tricks, legato.. all the things that Eddy made popular. Don't think for a minute that he came up with that stuff himself. He may have perfected it and made it popular but he didn't come up with it. Rick Derringer did.

Comment

DLR is DLR, he's a legen and you can't take that away from him...God bless him.

But just like Dave, Sammy is a legend as well and had a career way before VHI ever came out. Even back in the happier ays of VH when Ed and Sammy used to do interviews together in guitar mags, Sammy used to joke that he took a pay cut to be in VH. Sammy was an arena sellout act before he ever joined VH.

BTW, Standing Hampton is a classic album IMHO

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    DLR is DLR, he's a legen and you can't take that away from him...God bless him.

But just like Dave, Sammy is a legend as well and had a career way before VHI ever came out. Even back in the happier ays of VH when Ed and Sammy used to do interviews together in guitar mags, Sammy used to joke that he took a pay cut to be in VH. Sammy was an arena sellout act before he ever joined VH.

BTW, Standing Hampton is a classic album IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Sammy also had an extremely successful solo career.. THE RED ROCKER. There's only one way to rock. I can't drive 55. Classic huge hit songs.

Comment

I caught the Sammy/Dave tour a few years back, and it couldn't have been a more divided show. Dave was Dave...half lit, jumping around, and basically being Dave. It was great to hear some super cool VH rarities like "DOA" and "Sinners Swing", and I had a blast. Sammy's show left me very confused. He spent half the time talking about CaboWabo, (like the whole audience goes there all the time) was dressed like a poor surfer, and kept stretching out songs so he could pose against the Tiki Bar he had up on the stage. I love Sammy's early stuff..."Bad Motor Scooter" is one of my all-time favorite tunes...but it seems like while Dave was still being good ol' Dave, Sammy is trying to be the next generations' version of Jimmy Buffett.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Sammy's show left me very confused. He spent half the time talking about CaboWabo, (like the whole audience goes there all the time) was dressed like a poor surfer, and kept stretching out songs so he could pose against the Tiki Bar he had up on the stage. I love Sammy's early stuff..."Bad Motor Scooter" is one of my all-time favorite tunes...but it seems like while Dave was still being good ol' Dave, Sammy is trying to be the next generations' version of Jimmy Buffett.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Sammy markets tequilla like Jimmy Bufffet markets alcoholic escapism. Same thing. Money to be made pandering to that market.

After DLR left, Ed's judgement grossly deteriorated. If the singer from Foreigner happened to have the same exotic car mechanic and sucked Ed's ass enough, then he would have been the new singer! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ed should have switched drummers instead of getting rid of Roth. The politics with the VH bros. is widely known to suck. Ed's fan base type changed drastically after DLR's departure.

All of those early 70's guitarists; ie: Derringer, Montrose, Leslie West from Mountain, etc. fit nicely with what they did during that era. But DLR with VH was pure fucking magic.

Sammy is pushing 60 and has a trophy wife on his arm cause he's loaded from VH revenue. He would not even be slightly relevant without that happening. No offense to Sammy lovers worldwide. I saw Sammy live in '83 during his 3 lock box tour. Wasn't wowed or impressed. Sorry.

DLR has a larger than life personality that goes well beyond generic frontment in dinosaur bands. Just different perception and taste. Its all good.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Oooohh... I saw VH at USFest '83. They were the headliner act, last band of the day/night on "heavy metal day". Everyone in the band was great, except for Dave, who was completely smashed. He was carrying around the standard huge-ass bottle of Jack and he was singing the lyrics for Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love while the guys were playin' Runnin' with the Devil! It was so pathetic.

At one point between songs you could hear a guy up in the front "row" yell out, "YOU SUCK!!!" to Dave. Dave stumbled around, nearly falling into the crowd and said, "Shut up! I'll f**K your girlfriend!" At that moment we decided to leave, as did about 9/10ths of the other many thousands of people there.

One of the best acts that day was my favorite band at the time... they were on their Livewire tour and even during the daytime they friggin' ruled... Crue, of course. What a show!

Comment

Working...
                          X