X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sharon\'s beef with Maiden

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bruce was insulting Ozzy for using a teleprompter, making derogatory remarks about Ozzy's reality show, and similar remarks about bands that go out and play the same 10 songs for years on end.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So? The only thing that bothers me about Bruce's comments is the fact that he made them on Ozzfest stage, which is really hypocritical to me. That doesn't take anything away from the truth of those statements though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that IS the point. Talk shit about me in my own house and I'll show you out through the window, not the door, preferably a second-floor window. Ozzy is really not up to facing off with Bruce; Bruce was really being a loudmouth bully doing that. He had something coming for that, maybe an asswhipping by the Ozzy crew would've been better? Actually, since the other members of Maiden and the fans wouldn't have been involved, that would've been better.

Bruce Dickinson is a loudmouthed prima donna little fucking 5-foot tall mini-man. Now that's true, but if I said it onstage opening for Maiden I would expect to get my ass kicked. I would deserve it. Bruce at the least deserved some consequence for his words. I'm not saying what was done was right, but I AM saying he couldn't really expect his rants would go unpunished.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Well, if what they say Bruce said is true (still haven't seen it or even the "what" he said), then they (Ozzfest management IE Sharon, should've warned him and if it persisted, then kick the band off the tour. This isn't about someone talking crap to you in your own house, this is about someone talking crap to you at work, big difference. At my work, I'm not allowed to attack someone, no matter what they said. I am however allowed to do the professional thing and let management deal with it. Give them warning(s) and then fire that person if the verbal attacks don't stop. I think the fans voted with their feet that night when a bunch of them left after Maiden and before Black Sabbath. (Varying reports put it at 25-50%, but who knows.) This habit of metal bands talking shit is as old as the hills and if the Ozzy camp can't take it, maybe they shouldn't be in the business. FWIW, it's not like Ozzy is innocent of talking shit about America. He's had his mouth full of crap once or twice, but people forgave him.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        Bruce was insulting Ozzy for using a teleprompter, making derogatory remarks about Ozzy's reality show, and similar remarks about bands that go out and play the same 10 songs for years on end.

[/ QUOTE ]
        So? The only thing that bothers me about Bruce's comments is the fact that he made them on Ozzfest stage, which is really hypocritical to me. That doesn't take anything away from the truth of those statements though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that IS the point. Talk shit about me in my own house and I'll show you out through the window, not the door, preferably a second-floor window. Ozzy is really not up to facing off with Bruce; Bruce was really being a loudmouth bully doing that. He had something coming for that, maybe an asswhipping by the Ozzy crew would've been better? Actually, since the other members of Maiden and the fans wouldn't have been involved, that would've been better.

Bruce Dickinson is a loudmouthed prima donna little fucking 5-foot tall mini-man. Now that's true, but if I said it onstage opening for Maiden I would expect to get my ass kicked. I would deserve it. Bruce at the least deserved some consequence for his words. I'm not saying what was done was right, but I AM saying he couldn't really expect his rants would go unpunished.

[/ QUOTE ]

bullshit, windows are too damn expensive to be throwing people through them. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Well I never said I wouldn't OPEN the window first! After all, they won't break the driveway, it's concrete! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Hotrod, whether you realize it or not, headliners fucking with the warmup act's PA and even bands egging or beering each other are also not exactly unknown in the world of rock and metal.

Wild shit happens at rockshows but you'd think we were talking about a symphony crowd, not a metal crowd. And I guarantee that crowd that baked, literally and chemically, in the 100+ temps of Devore for 12 hours, would never have rioted. They'd have bitched and gone home, but they would have been physically incapable of rioting after a day in that sun.

An egging and some fucking with the PA - I've seen that and worse a hundred times over the years, it happens. Yeah it's a pisser, but it's not like they sprayed the crowd with machinegun fire.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

ah...my big enough windows don't open.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              bigger crowds does not make you better metals fans

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
              European ones particularly love to play it because they get a big US crowd

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I think that Bruce is a very cool guy, and he has balls to speak the truth, he hasn't said anything bad about AMERICA or OZZY OSBOURNE, I haven't seen any proof, all I've heard are bunch of lame-ass speculations. Maiden are doing some charity all the time, making new albums etc. Osbournes are bunch of Tools who enjoy making Ozzy The Clown look stupid.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Well I never said I wouldn't OPEN the window first! After all, they won't break the driveway, it's concrete! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Hotrod, whether you realize it or not, headliners fucking with the warmup act's PA and even bands egging or beering each other are also not exactly unknown in the world of rock and metal.

Wild shit happens at rockshows but you'd think we were talking about a symphony crowd, not a metal crowd. And I guarantee that crowd that baked, literally and chemically, in the 100+ temps of Devore for 12 hours, would never have rioted. They'd have bitched and gone home, but they would have been physically incapable of rioting after a day in that sun.

An egging and some fucking with the PA - I've seen that and worse a hundred times over the years, it happens. Yeah it's a pisser, but it's not like they sprayed the crowd with machinegun fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're probably right about what goes on during a rock/metal tour. I think for me, I'd have been upset as a concert goer just because I spent money on a ticket and this kind of crap goes on.

Speaking of bands messing with each other (not nearly as bad as this) but when I saw White Zombie during their last tour together and it was the last show of the tour they had Filter opening. When Filter came out, the big banner behind them said Blender and looked just like the bands logo [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Yeah it seems trivial, but it was funny and even the lead singer from Filter was talking about it and he was laughing saying the White Zombie was F-ing with the rookies and they'd been playing pranks on them all day [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. It was cool though as Sean Yesault (sp?) came out with a waitress tray and brought the band glasses of water or beer. That kind of stuff I understand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    RULES!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Sharon SUCKS.

EOD.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] UP [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] THE [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] IRONS! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

This is why I go to Warped Tour every year, and will continue to do so.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Way to take my statement out of context VG [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                        The point of that statement wasn't the size of the crowd but the type of crowd. And progpower is big but not exactly Wacken Open Air if ya know what I mean [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Subject: HeadbangerNYC.com - AND THE GODS MADE WAR

The manager of a well-known heavy metal band (*NOT* IRON MAIDEN) who attended this past weekend's Ozzfest show at the Hyundai Pavillion in Devore, California has submitted the following first-hand account of the evening that will surely go down as one of the most shameful moments in recent rock history "Saturday night's Ozzfest at the Hyundai Pavillion near Los Angeles was a debacle on so many levels, I am still in shock as I write this. As a fan of many of the bands [Saturday] night, one can only hope this was an isolated incident, but sadly, it most likely wasn't. As many of you have heard already, co-headliners and metal legends IRON MAIDEN were pelted with eggs, bottle caps, beer cups, spit on, had people from the Ozzfest camp talking over the PA during their set, had 'Eddie' delayed from his onstage entrance, had members of the [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] entourage rush the stage with American flags, and had the PA intentionally turned off over six times, all by the OSBOURNE CAMP.

"While it's still unclear as to the exact reasons why the terrorizing started (rumors abounded as to why, with everything from Bruce calling out Ozzy in the U.K. rock magazine Kerrang! on the widely known fact that Ozzy uses a teleprompter, to various vague references said on stage about a 'reality show' at an Ozzfest stop in Detroit), one thing was very clear: The whole thing stunk, and left me, and nearly all of the 40,000+ heavy metal fans in attendance angered and disappointed. Not that behind the
                          scenes bickering or magazine trash-talking is anything new to rock fans, but the shocking lack of professionalism at one of the largest stops in North America in front of 40,000+ spectators, at the hand of the Osbournes was nothing short of disgusting.

"It all began early in the afternoon, when many side stage bands were openly approached in clear view of everyone backstage by Sharon and Kelly Osbourne to 'join them in throwing eggs at IRON MAIDEN this evening.' All the bands were encouraged to rally the other side-stage bands to do so. Members and/or friends of the hardcore band BURY YOUR DEAD were seen actively trying to encourage other side-stage bands to 'join in the fun.' Thankfully, many side stage bands angrily declined.

"Later that evening, as IRON MAIDEN came on stage, their intro was interrupted by [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] hanger-on and biker wannabe Big Dave, who was at the soundboard loudly chanting 'Ozzy, Ozzy' over the PA. MAIDEN opened their set and the entire band was pelted from the front row with eggs, beer, beer cups, spit, and various other objects by an Ozzfest-credentialed, bandana-wearing, Osbourne entourage. IRON MAIDEN, ever the professionals, continued through their set, and by the time they launched into their second song, 'The Trooper', Bruce changed into a civil
                          war-era, red coat and began waving a Union Jack — British flag. Then, someone in, or associated with, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY tried to rush the stage waving and American Flag with the words 'Don't f-with Ozzy' scrawled across his bare chest. He was tackled and beaten by MAIDEN crew and promptly thrown off stage.

"As 'The Trooper' ended, frontman Bruce Dickinson, with characteristic spunk, launched into a scathing attack on the people terrorizing his band, calling them 'a sorry excuse for an Ozzy Osbourne fan,' and wondering aloud how, 'three dozen eggs could get snuck into the front row of Ozzfest by people with Ozzfest laminates?' Though he never named names, all in attendance could understand who he was referring to. Nicko McBrain ran up to the front asking Bruce to hold on while he cleaned egg off his drums.
                          He then stated the the next song wouldn't be heard on 'Your local cocksucking corporate radio station, wouldn't be seen on MTV anymore, and sure as hell wouldn't be played on a f-cking reality TV show,' met by a huge roar from the crowd.

"During the song 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', Bruce, after only the first two lines, stopped singing and ran to the front row, firing back at his terrorizers, saying 'That a$$wipe right there, with the curly hair, the f-cking glasses, and Ozzfest laminate throw his f-cking a$$ out of here right now. It's gonna take more than eggs to stop IRON MAIDEN, and if it wasn't for a lawsuit, I'd rip your f-cking head off right now, you piece of sh1t!!!!' He had the various attackers ejected and continued with a blistering version of the song until right before the big sing long at the
                          end, the PA was INTENTIONALLY cut off. When it came back, Bruce launched into another scathing attack saying that they were supposed to play a shorter set than normal today, and only play 55 minutes, but IRON MAIDEN can't drive 55, or play 55, and were going to play our whole f-cking set
                          tonight.

"The band endured six more 'PA cuts,' including having the power to their amps turned off at one point. When the PA would come back on, they would simply launch into the next IRON MAIDEN classic, never missing a beat. Frankly, with every PA cut, the band just got meaner and meaner, playing
                          each new song with an anger and a fire that was at times, simply astonishing to watch. Bruce began the introduction to IRON MAIDEN with a speech about 'Your constitution has something about 'We The People.' Well let me tell you, the only reason we are up here tolerating this bullshit, is because of you people. You have been amazing Glen Helen, and there are A LOT of IRON MAIDEN fans here tonight,' eliciting a huge roar from the crowd. He continued, 'It's gonna take more than eggs to stop IRON MAIDEN, NOTHING is going to come between us and our fans, and it will be death
                          before dishonor, this is 'Iron fucking Maiden',' which was greeted by a thunderous applause.

During 'Iron Maiden', longtime MAIDEN mascot Eddie was purposely delayed from making his entrance, making a brief appearance at the end, and one could only wonder as to how. As the band closed there set with a furious version of 'Sanctuary', the PA was again cut only to have Big Dave repeatedly chant 'Ozzy' over the PA, while the band tried to say goodbye to their fans. The now-furious crowd angrily drowned him out with chants of 'MAIDEN, MAIDEN.' "Then, not 10 seconds after MAIDEN left the stage, Sharon Osbourne walked on stage and predictably, tried to give MAIDEN some fake, half-hearted praise about how they'd like to 'thank IRON MAIDEN,' and what a wonderful band IRON MAIDEN are, and how their crew were 'fantastic,' then sneering, 'But Bruce Dickinson is a pr!ck.'

The entire crowd, now fed up with the entire affair, began loudly booing her, pelting her with beer cups, and yelling 'bitch.' She tried to carry on, adding that 'Bruce had disrespected Ozzfest,' only to be drowned out by an ocean of boos, and soaked with beer. She slammed the microphone down and stormed off stage. Many in the crowd, fed up with what they had just witnessed, especially
                          considering that many had come solely for MAIDEN, and paid upwards of $150 to do so, left in droves. SABBATH played to maybe half the audience that was there prior, and seemed stagnate compared to the band preceding them.

As a huge fan of SABBATH, I honestly couldn't stand to watch them.

"I've seen IRON MAIDEN probably 10 times in my life, and frankly this was the very best IRON MAIDEN show I've had the pleasure of witnessing. You DON'T want to f-ck with IRON MAIDEN. The more the Osbournes tried to f-ck with them, the better they got! IRON MAIDEN was on f-cking overdrive!

Considering the amount of terrorizing and intimidation that IRON MAIDEN had to deal with at the hands of the Osbournes and the other side stage and main stage bands participating, they were the consummate professionals. They had the crowd in the palms of their hands, and IRON MAIDEN and Bruce Dickinson proved beyond a shadow of a doubt why they are the greatest metal band on earth right now, and quite possibly, the classiest, too.

"The Osbournes are drunk with power. Shame on them, and shame on ANY of the bands that participated in the terrorizing and intimidation. It was disgusting display, that NO BAND should have had to endure, but especially
                          a legend like IRON MAIDEN. That fact that it happened in front of 40,000+ people, at a Clear Channel-sponsored event, while Hyundai Pavilion Security turned a blind eye and let the Osbourne camp pelt one of the main headlining bands with eggs, beer, and spit, was simply inexcusable.

"I will proudly be attending next year's MAIDEN fest, and as much as I hate to say it, I can't bring myself to spend another dime on the Osbournes.

"Ozzfest, hang your head in shame."

Comment

Try to keep up Cleveland. Sworn Enemy posted that back on page 3 of this thread [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              This is why I go to Warped Tour every year, and will continue to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

except the music at warped tour is complete shit. Whereas Ozzfest had Iron Maiden. So it's only partial shit.

complete vs. partial. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

anywho:

BRUCE DICKINSON: Everyone Knows SHARON OSBOURNE Was Behind OZZFEST Fiasco - Aug. 26, 2005
                              The U.K.'s The Sun Online paper spoke to IRON MAIDEN vocalist Bruce Dickinson about the group's ill-fated final Ozzfest performance in San Berardino and their future plans. Read on:

The Sun Online: Why is Reading so special?

Bruce Dickinson: "It's where I was asked to join the band and it's also the first festival I ever went to in my life and also played. And this year it will be a big one, I promise and yes we'll be nervous."

The Sun Online: You're playing just the four albums on this tour because of "The Early Years" DVD Part One? Will there be a Part Two?

Bruce Dickinson: "Yes, Part Two will be based around 'Live After Death' and 'Powerslave' and 'Somewhere in Time' and we have started working on it. The plan is to do what will be our biggest, most spectacular tour we have ever done. The 'Powerslave' era was the one that had all the toys. It had the massive Eddie, the huge mechanical hands and Ancient Egypt. And we want to recreate the whole deal."

The Sun Online: You've ridden out every rock music trend and almost every band throughout has cited you as an influence. Why?

Bruce Dickinson: "Yes that's weird isn't it? It's because we've never compromised. MAIDEN is about loyalty and pride and doing what you believe in and sticking with your beliefs. It's a bit like people who follow football teams. They sign up for a football team and support them all their lives even if they lose. That's us, and our fans are part of our gang."

The Sun Online: Ozzfest, Reading and Leeds are all about new fans. Why are they important?

Bruce Dickinson: "People who are as old as I am are generally not that fun to play to. I know there'll be people reading this saying 'It's not true,' but 47-year-olds don't rock like 15-year-olds. They go absolutely mental and that's what keeps us going. We are playing songs approaching 25 years old and yet we have the youngest audience."

The Sun Online: So what happened when you went on stage at Ozzfest?

Bruce Dickinson: "We were hit by a co-ordinated barrage of bottle tops, lighters and eggs from a certain section at the front! Then the power for the PA and backline was completely pulled three or four times during songs. The band held it all together incredibly though and we just got really pumped up. It ended up being an amazing show. MAIDEN can pretty much deal with anything. We don’t get fazed too easily."

The Sun Online: Who do you think was behind it all?

Bruce Dickinson: "Everyone knows it's Sharon Osbourne. It's certainly not Ozzy or SABBATH — they have too much class to condone stunts like that. She hates me for making remarks about reality TV. I hate reality TV. People should get off their arses and do stuff and not be so voyeuristic."

The Sun Online: Her stunts seemed to backfire as you played a magnificent set and soon after, thousands walked out in disgust?

Bruce Dickinson: "We left for the airport pretty well straight after we came off but we could tell there were a lot of disgusted fans who had paid good money to see us. The audience was incredibly behind us all the way and they really lifted us. If they hadn't been happy, there may have been a riot as those fans were really disgusted with the cowardly attacks."

The Sun Online: Did you enjoy the Rockwalk of Fame presentation and what does it mean to you?

Bruce Dickinson: "Well it's very American but behind it there are all these fans that are really into it and have all turned up. It's great. We are very proud of that day, though we ended up with filthy hands. It was great that Eddie rightfully got a handprint too."

The Sun Online: You left the band in 1993. Is it something you regret?

Bruce Dickinson: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing. When I left I had no intention of coming back but in the intervening period, I ended up becoming a much better singer than I was before, certainly live. And coming back into the band I had a hell of lot more energy than in the two or years before I left and I stayed with it. I also came back with a determination that I'm never going to walk on stage again doing something I don't want to do as it's soul-destroying and eats you up."

The Sun Online: How does MAIDEN fit in with family life?

Bruce Dickinson: "Well, we get to run around like a lunatic and play music and my kids can come and watch. My 15- and 13-year-olds were in the front row at our New York gig, in the mosh pit. I suddenly saw these four security guards jump in and hold someone down. I thought they had my kids but then I looked and saw their little faces, sweating and screaming and I was ready to dive in."

The Sun Online: And next for MAIDEN?

Bruce Dickinson: "We have the live album 'Death on the Road' out on Monday with a DVD to follow and then we record the new studio album next spring, which will be out next autumn. First we have the special fundraising Hammersmith Odeon show next week. It's for our old drummer Clive Burr's Multiple Sclerosis Trust Fund. I'm really looking forward to it. It will top off an amazing year which included a show in Sweden, where we played to 56,000 and were broadcast live to 20million people."

The Sun Online: And next for you?

Bruce Dickinson: "I go back to my 6 Music radio show and my job as an airline pilot. It's a proper, straightforward, regular job. I had to book holidays for the tour. I was straight off stage at Ozzfest to hightail it to LAX airport."

Comment

drip, thnks for posting that.

thing is .. bruce is a loudmouth, yes. but all he said is 100% true.
                                i have never seen him say america sucks or ozzy is shit or anything, just ranting about mtv and reality shows. said a couple of things about the festival and stale audiences in the past.

sharon should've gone to rod at the beginning of the tour, not attack them like cowards like that.

and for zakk .. for all i know he really wants to do another album with ozzy.. but it's not ozzy's call who will get the spot anymore and you know it.
                                You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Working...
                                X