Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching for prog or melodic metal Educate me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Searching for prog or melodic metal Educate me.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes Within Temptation. Not only is she an awesome singer but damn is she hot or what? [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I had forgotten about Circle II Circle. They aren't fantastic but very solid power metal with progressive elements and multi part harmonies ala Savatage.

Comment

I totally get why they use "grunt" vocals, but to me bands like: Nightwish and Within Temptation who have gotten rid of the "grunt" vocals sound better. I like After Forever even tho they use "grunt" vocals, but still think that when Floor Jansen sings by herself it sounds better to me

Just my take on the "grunt" vocals

Comment

"Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes Within Temptation. Not only is she an awesome singer but damn is she hot or what?"

Chris, she is a major hottie [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] lol
        Also their Silent Force CD - Whao........every song kicks butt. I think overall prob one of the best out of the Symphonic bands

Comment

Hey Bill,

We've all seen your massive list before, and f*ck is it impressive.

If you had to create a top 10 list of prog/melodic, either artists of albums, what would that be?

Comment

Re: Searching for prog or melodic metal Educate m

i cant believe you forgot Dream Theater in your list :x

Dream Theater
            Symphony X
            In Flames
            Porcupine Tree
            Pagan's Mind
            Spocks Beard

are my fave by far

Comment

Who's list...my list was cut and paste and all disconbobulated...

I can easily tell you my fave prog / power band right now..

Symphony X...****
              Pagans Mind...****
              Vanden Plas...****
              Time Requiem...****
              Zero Hour...****
              Space Oddessy...***
              Majestic...****
              Lemur Voice...***
              Sun Caged...***
              Threshold...***
              DGM...***
              Watchtower...****
              Artension...****
              Silver Seraph...****
              Opus Alantica...****
              superior...***
              Shadow Gallery...***
              Power of omens...***
              Ion Vein,,,***
              Empty Tremor..***
              moonlight agony...***
              Lanfear..****
              ARK..*****!

well that some power prog right off the top of my head that I enjoy..I got shit still in the wrapper for weeks I havn't listen to yet

all of those of strictly in 'prog power" genre...NOT POWER METAL!!!

I'll do my top faves in power metal later...gotta do homework now with the boy...I hate homework...arrrggggg

***....great

****..Awesome!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Damn it, I said 10! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

See.. this is why every other forum sucks ass.

If I asked that on the BC Rich or ESP board..

I'd get .." Melodic?.. Wuzzat?..Did he play with Munky?!?" [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

And Bill.. HOLY FUKIN SHITE!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

i would recommend:

Edguy - "theatre of salvation", "mandrake" , "hellfire club"

Gamma Ray - "somewhere out in space", "powerplant", "no world order"

Kamelot - "karma", "epica", and especially "the black halo"

those albums are all KILLER, and a good place to get into melodic powermetal.

bill's list is badass, but heavy duty..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

OK I know i did more than ten...but THOSE are my faves..and then some..

that's why I marked them *** for Great...and **** for go BUY IT NOW!!!...or check 'em out.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]..

thank you ...thank you...I'm here to please... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OK ..NOW POWERMETAL!!!!!!!

This will be off the top of my head...I'm NOT looking at my collection...that would take forever...so here goes...

BIL Z BUB's TOP powermetal bands..well a few MUST HAVES!!!

ICED EARTH...especially with Barlow...freaking awesome...the American Maiden..why did I even mention them!!
                      BRAINSTORM.....to me just as good as anything iced earth ever put out
                      KAMELOT....if you like power metal...you already know this band...like MD said.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      CONCEPTION...kind of hard to find...Khan from Kamelot and Tore Otsby of ark and conception "flow" was their last and different get that one last...essential!!!
                      MEDUZA.....kick ass just kick ass..
                      EASY RIDER...spanish band..I recommend Evilution or "regeneration"...especially the latter...w / new singer..
                      GAMMA RAY...new world order...shit it's AWESOME...why did I mention them?!!!!
                      IRON SAVIOR...if you like helloween , gammay ray...this is a no brainer!
                      SILENT FORCE...same as the above description...great stuff.
                      GRAVE DIGGER...some don't like the vox..I STRONGLY suggest their S/T album.."the grave digger"..not a bad song on it..and their new shredder sounda bit like Zakk..
                      PRIMAL FEAR....Judas Presi worship at it's best...and then some..they smoked halford off the stage on tour when John and I saw them..
                      JAG PANZER....Harry Conklin..a freind of mine and Chris Broderick is just amazing!
                      RAWHEAD REXX...these guys whoop ass and they use Jacksons!!!
                      NOCTURNAL RITES...they get better with each album...start from their latest and go to "afterlife" and stop there..
                      SYMPHORCE..Andy B Frank fronts thgis as well singer of Brainstorm...KICK ASS!
                      AT VANCE..Olaf Lenk is INCREDIBLE...I like him better than YJM!!!
                      MYSTIC PROPHESY...Gus G...I like it better this Firewind/Dream Evil..I like firewind too of course..but everyone talks about them...so why mention them.
                      LOST HORIZON...if you dig powermetal...you MUST like this..amaing singer and very melodic!!
                      DARK MOOR...get their last two..w new singer..s/t and beyond the sea..
                      FREEDOM CALL...fans of helloween/gamma ray..check this out.
                      MOB RULES...see above description...
                      MIDNIGHT SUN..Magnus Karlsson is one of the best shredders in the biz!
                      RAGE..Hell..these guys been around FOREVER..like Grave digger...never get mentioned...start new and go backwards...because the got better with each albulm..and Victor Smolski SHREDS!..
                      SINNER...bassist mat siner from primal fear...same thing man..get their newest stuff and go backwards..
                      TWILIGHTNING...just got this and I really like it..if your into stuff like Sonata artica..get this..
                      VIRTUOSITY...YOU MUST GET THIS>>>if you love Sinergry w/ male vox.
                      WOLF...Evil Star...brand new but sounds like 80's done right...total straight forward powermetal...preist/maiden.
                      PARAGON...see description above..just straight forward metal but damn good at what they do..

No need to mention bands such as Hammerfall/Helloween/Firewind/Riot/Saxon/Rhapsody..and so on anyone into powermetal already has this stuff...I would assume

and this IS important..if your into just straight ahead "power" metal ala..Preist/maiden/ect...LIMB/Undergrond Symphony/and 99th floor/AFM/Massacre are GREAT record Labels to investigate pronto...I have EVERYTHING on their roster...very good labels..amoung the best in power metal!!!

NEXT will be...GIRL METAL...I will cover the best of the best female fronted metal bands...some have mentioned a few already....ala Nightwish/Within Temptation and etc..

till next time

Stay metal [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img],

Bill Z Bub.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"NEXT will be...GIRL METAL...I will cover the best of the best female fronted metal bands...some have mentioned a few already....ala Nightwish/Within Temptation and etc.."

Hummmmmmmmm so how ya gonna rate them? By how somkin they look, or how well they sing [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My most smokinist:
                        Tarja Turtunen - http://www.tarjaturunen.com/
                        Sharon den Adel - http://www.within-temptation.com/
                        Liv Kristine - http://www.livkristine.de/
                        Cristina Scabbia - http://www.lacunacoil.it/
                        Sabine Edelsbacher - http://www.edenbridge.org/
                        Floor Jansen - http://www.afterforever.com/
                        Simone Simons - http://www.epica.nl/
                        Sabine Duenser - http://www.elis.li/
                        Vibeke Stene - http://www.tristania.com
                        Henriette Bordvik - http://www.sirenia.no/

Some of the best hotties in Prog
                        Who can sing far better then most male singers

Comment

Bill,what is your take on Twisted Tower Dire?......
                          Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I have their T shirt!!!!...Not bad ..I like 'em..not very "polished"..but cool if your into bands that are very straight foward underground 80's styled metal..like hmmmmmm..

Like Cirith Ungol / Manilla Road / October 31 / Omen / ...they are a little more "polished" now ...more on par with early Paragon / Tyrant eyes / Skullview and such.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Bill!You need to start your own metal magazine.The reviews and opinions that you give on metal music are frikkin right on the money [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]....................
                              Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

thanks my brotha...it's nothing to really brag about...it just comes from the heart...

john and i were discussing a website for yours truly...to spread the metal joy..

today i will invest some time on those female fronted metal ...all of them....well i have all of them...so i can put my spin on that subject pretty easily..

i'm typin' with one finger right now because i have a klondike ice cream bar in my other hand ...i'm hooked on ice cream bars ..klondike / dove bars ....they rule!

i will get on that list of course some were alredy mentioned...but i'll mention all the ones i can that needs to be heard...later on today..

i'm searching for new metal for myself as we speak...i'm never satisfied...it's like a drug...i always need nore metal...so that's what i spend all my spare money on..

to save you guys from buying crap..man i hate that...wasting money...i wasted so much money taking chances...just because it was a cool label and the cover art looked good and so on...to hell with that...

there is way too much great metal that you should spend your money on and it will make you happy...i don't mind spending and supporting these groups if they are truly worthy..

The girl list will be next..Emmy ..pay attention...you may be included. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X