Need a second job... advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a second job... advise?

So heres the deal... Im 23, unmarried, just bought a house Im remodeling. I make good money doing what I do, but lack of overtime and piling up of bills is starting to get me.

Skill wise, I can pretty much do anything. Professionally, Im certified electronics assemblyman, and a Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP is worthless). Personally, I can do alot like completley building and working on all gen1-3 small block Chevys, lay tile, sheetrock/spacle, home electrical, plumbing, yada yada yada...

But latley, Ive been doing a good amount of work for friends on their guitars, amps and effects... Pickup installs, body repair, setups, rebuilt half the curcut board on a Fender tube amp, modified Dunlop/Morley wahs, etc.

Thing is, I REALLY enjoy doing this! Its acually fun to me. Ive got all the right equipment to do the job right, and I think it would be AWSOME to be able to do this in my spare time and make extra money. Thing is, is there a big need for this kind of work? I know any local music stores charge an arm and a leg for this kind of work, and I figured that people might be interested in saving some money and knowing their stuff is done right, the way they want it. I just want to get an idea from all of you if putting effort into this would be worth it... If not, Ill just get some bullshit job, but Id really like to put my skills to use. Im in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area... any input would be appreciated! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: Need a second job... advise?

Teach guitar part time. I have 12 students at 18.50 per student, per week, 1/2 hr. lessons. that's $37 an hour for the "math challenged" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Work midnights at a gas station..... For FREE GAS! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

Not good enough to teach anyone but beginners, and I dont really have the patients anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for pumping gas midnight, hell no! I get up at 6 for work, so if I were to get a job, Id have to be done by 11 at the latest.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Get a job at Guitar Center...you don't have to know anything to work there.

Comment

Yeah aint that the truth. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

What are the hours of your main job?

Comment

If you are confident in your abilities, offer your services to all the surrounding music stores (as an independent contractor). If you do good work, the jobs will come. Oh yeah, advertise your services! Good guitar techs are hard to find. The good ones I know have more work than they can handle.
                "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I work 7-3:30 mon-fri

Good idea Mike... Maybe Ill go talk to a couple managers of local stores and see if theres any interest.

Comment

Residential/commercial electrician, always in demand, even when work slows up.
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Drug Dealer
                      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Rock Star. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

...or Pimp. However, the local brothers always tell me pimpin' ain't easy.
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Residential/commercial electrician, always in demand, even when work slows up.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Around here, thats union territory, and is not easy to get into. Im currently union now so...

Comment

If you know car's, Auto parts stors are always looking for people
                              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                              X