Luthier Schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luthier Schools?

Has anyone here ever gone through one or know someone who has? I don't have any serious interest, but it seems like it could be a pretty cool experience - or not.

Re: Luthier Schools?

Do you mean the "Martin Luthier King School Of Delta Blues Guitars". Just kidding. Just type in "Luthier Schools" They are there. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Oh yeah, the "MLKSoDBG." That's the school on MLK Blvd. near 6th Street, right? My friend's brother knew this guy who was there in 96 and got shot. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
      I've seen the ads in magazines and there are plenty of them on the net, but I was just wonderin' if anyone has actually gone.

Comment

I did,
        Roberto-Venn School of Luithery. Graduated Spring 2000
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I know someone who went to Fretworks School of Luthiery.

If its something you really want to do, you go to school. I don't think its something you would want to undertake because you're bored or curious.

Comment

I checked out the course description and browsed their website, which gave me a pretty good idea of what goes on. Looking back, would you say you got what you wanted from the school, was it worth the time and money, etc.?

Comment

Right, that's not something I'd do out of boredome or plain curiosity, but I could see myself going at some time later on. I'm one of those never-stop-learning types (not to be confused with the over-achieving, intellectually elite jackasses - I'm a regular jackass). Same question: does your friend say it was worth going? Thanks to everyone for their input.

Comment

I'd say it was worth it for him since it is his profession and he is considered to be one of the greatest luthiers alive today. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You wouldn't beleive his client list.

Seriously though, he was a very good luthier before, but this made him even better and boosted his credibility in the industry. Kinda like getting a Harvard MBA when you are already a business genius. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

"You wouldn't believe his client list."
                  If he's one of the best, then I sure don't doubt it. Must be a cool job.

Comment

JCFer Ace got his cert from MI's luthier school and immediately got an offer from a guitar manufacturer very dear to us.

I think it's Guitar Craft Academy?

http://www.mi.edu/programs/gca.htm
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

http://www.cybozone.com/fg/become.html

http://www.americanschooloflutherie.com/

http://www.leedsguitar.com/

http://www.midwestguitar.com/

Comment

The one in Red Wing, MN was one my parents tried to get me to go to instead of GIT. At the time, I was not interested so much as to the in's and out's of building an acoustic and violin as I was in playing..altho I think I would have been a natural as I have always had natural woodworking interests and skills. Back in the 80's they did not yet have the electric program started up and it was a two year course with emphasis in building and repair of all types of acoustical instruments. Now they offer 9 month courses in violin, acoustic or electric.

A buddy of mine who I grew up with and lived a over on the next block went there-don't know if he completed the program or not. He obviously has good working knowledge and know how but I also think you can learn alot from videos and online information nowadays. I'm sure getting instruction from a master luthier in person in a lab format that really gives an edge to guidance, that and years of "oops", another one for the scrape pile. When it comes fown to it, its just another piece of paper, but where you get that piece of paper from really can make a difference in your career options.

Comment

Working...
                        X