(insert your favorite band here) appreciation post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (insert your favorite band here) appreciation post

The purpose of this thread is to discover everyone's favorite band or musician and why. Not just a simple why, but what have they done for you? What impact has their existence left on you?

I would have to say Death is my favorite band of all time. Death got me into technical metal, which helped me mature as a guitar player and as a person in general. Individual Thought Patterns is one of greatest albums I own, if not the greatest. The first time I heard Overactive Imagination, I thought "This is real, this is pure"... It hit me deeper than any other form of music had before. It opened me up to what I feel metal is or should be. Not this commercial BS you hear on the radio. RIP Chuck and thank you for all the music you left us with. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

(ps if this thread already exists in a thread or combination of many threads, admins feel free to delete it)
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: (insert your favorite band here) appreciation

Everybody go listen to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty boy Floyd

E'nuff Z'Nuff

Faster Pussycat

La Guns

Tommy Lee

Jetboy

Tommy Lee

Motley Crue

Vince Neil

Any thing with Steve Stevens

ALL Van Halen

Peppermint Creeps

Heart Throb Mob

Love/Hate

Janes Addiction

Poison

Chidren Of Bodom

Mariah Carey

Run Dmc

The Faces

The Sweet

Slade

The Stones

The Scream

Anything with John Corabi
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Thrice is my top favorite band. Lyrics are mind blowing, guitar work has some cool parts, nothing over the head, but still has its moments. People call me "Thrice Mike" because I love Thrice so much.

Comment

oh man, another "favorite" topic....thats cool though

My top 5 of all times, as been reported before:

**in order**

Metallica
        Led Zeppelin
        Misfits
        Soundgarden

Metallica cause I remember going to my brothers room around age 8 or so and looking for tapes cause I used to steal his tapes and listen to them when he wasn't at home. I remember like it was yesterday, going in his room, expecting to find more rush or iron maiden tapes and I saw a purple looking tape sitting on his dresser. I picked it up and said "what the fuck is Metal-Licka" and thought the cover looked cool. Turns out, the band is Metallica and the tape was Ride the Lightning. CHANGED MY LIFE. Best band that will ever live, period....no discussion...NO DOUBT.

Led zeppelin cause of Jimmy page, My favorite guitar player of all time. He introduced me to alternate tunings and around my teens, got so involved with zeppelin. Zeppelin is one of the greatest rock bands ever.

311 as of the last 6 years. Tim mahoney is a stunning guitar player, underrated IMO. I love the funk/reggae/rap/punk type style they do. 311 does what they do and don't need to explain why. It just is. 311 is also the best band ive ever seen live, just saw them on oct.26, here in memphis. K I L L E R. Light up a joint and chill type of music, right up my alley

Misfits - bought the coffin box set around my late teens cause i was familiar with metallica's version of "last caress/green hell" and always wondered about the actual band. I was also familiar with danzig and always liked his vocals so.....it was only a matter of time for me to get into them.

Soundgarden - Cornell is the best voice around, no doubt about that. For some reason, I always loved kim thayil as a player. Subtle, tasteful, but yet, different. He also got me more into alternate tunings.

There ya go. My top 5 of all time [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Impossible to just name a single band...but yes...Chuck Schuldiner was truly a guitar god. Right there with Randy and Dime. A few other guys who have really affected me are Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, and Dave Mustaine. These six guys are probably what helped me rekindle my love for the instrument whenever it was waning. My favorite current listen is Lamb of God [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Of course if it weren't for Maiden I probably wouldn't have stuck with it in the early going...
          Hear the universe scream
          Bleeding from black holes
          Whom horns careless
          And whom God mourns

Comment

The Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax of my teen years (i.e. late 80's) got me into guitar. I listened to plenty of other thrash-metal bands, but those three really hooked me. From reading a couple posts above, it looks like I need to check out Death as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Thrice is my top favorite band

[/ QUOTE ]

for some reason, when i read your post, that name sounded familiar to me and then it dawned on me [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

I just looked at thrice on ubl and sure enough, thats the band that redid the 80's song "Send me an angel". I've always loved that song from the 80's and I remember about a year ago, I went kazaa hunting for the song and I did find it but i remember coming across Thrice's version. I downloaded it to see if it was a remake and it was. Good remake too cause I've always wanted to redo that song (or atleast, thought it would be a killer song to re-do). I need to check out more of their stuff

Comment

I can't answer this... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

i'll try..here's some of my very faves.

CORONER
                NEVERMORE...best new guitarist alive.
                DLR era VH
                SAVATAGE w Criss Oliva only
                APOCRYPHA
                PSYCHOTIC WALTZ
                ANNHILATOR
                VICIOUS RUMORS
                LAST CRACK
                DEATH/CONTROL DENIED
                WATCHTOWER
                ICED EARTH
                BRAINSTORM
                SABBAT w Andy Sneap
                HEXENHOUSE / ABSTRAkT ALGEBRA / MOMENTO MORI / anything w/ M Wead
                FORBIDDEN
                HELSTAR.. andre corbin years.
                CANDLEMASS
                BLACK SABBATH..clasic and Dio era.
                OZZY w Randy..that's it.
                HEATHEN..
                NIGHTWISH
                THERION
                EVERGREY
                MAJESTIC
                EIDOLON...they never had "great" singers.
                KING DIAMONG / MERCYFUL FATE
                CONCEPTION
                TESTAMENT

and one of my favorite genres.. New Wave Of Swedish Death Thrash..At The Gates / Soilwork / In Flames / Arch Enemy / Carcass / Entombed / Darkane / Terror 200 / Dimension Zero/ Hearse / The Haunted / The Forsaken / The Defaced / Carnal Forge /..and so many more..

and the finnish COB stuff ..Like Skyfire / eternal tears of sorrow / Nother / Kalmah / Imperanon / Ensiferium / virtuocity and so on..

and anthing with shredders Tore Otsby / Magnus Karlsson / Uli Roth / Olaf Lenk / Roy Z / Steve Stevens

and anything with singers Jorne Lande / Mats Levin / Russel Allen ..

and I love crazy technical stuff like Theory in prcatice / symbyosis / arsis / carphanaum / alarum / cynic / atheist / gory blister / matyr / sceptic..and so on..

well that's what I really dig..stuff I can't live without.

One of the only NON METAL Bands I like is .. The Tea Party!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"Heathen" - there's a name I haven't seen in a long time. Did they ever get another album out after Breaking the Silence?

Comment

Yeah they just put out a new one "Recovered" with some old stuff on it too..I just picked it up..they do a cool cover of Queen's Death of two legs..

I like their '91 Victims of Deception!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

and welcone TreeFitty..I'm Bill Z Bub..and you will know me..soon. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW..if you switched the T and the F in your name it would be FreeTitty.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

FreeTitty is my (slightly more) evil alter ego...

Comment

yes Of course.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Off the top of my head, in the order I came in contact with them, the biggest deals for me would have been:

Iron Maiden - Aces High: the first single I ever bought and still one of my favourite Maiden tunes
                          Van Halen - 1984: my first LP. Jump is my favourite song of all time.
                          Iron Maiden - Live After Death: some other kids I knew had it and it blew me away, not least because of the artwork on the gatefold sleeve and the double spread live photo inside.
                          Ozzy - Tribute: RANDY
                          Metallica - Master of Puppets: say no more
                          Anthrax - Among the Living: Love it to this day, and the first concert I ever went to (Testament in support)
                          Dave lee Roth- Eat'em and Smile: The guitar playing totally blew me away. As a 14 year old, I couldn't believe how amazing Steve Vai was.
                          Guns N Roses - Appetite: Totally new to me at the time, and I loved it
                          Iron Maiden - Seventh Son: I was 15, and this was such a big deal for me at the time - my favourite Maiden LP (if you discount Live after Death because it's a hits LP)
                          Megadeth - Rust in Peace: Still their finest hour
                          Dave Lee Roth - A Lil ain't Enough: Amazing guitar in the context of decent songs.
                          Van Halen - F.U.C.K: Rediscovered VH after loosing interest in 5150 and OU812
                          Skid Row - Slave to the Grind: Guilty pleasure maybe?
                          Metallica - The Black Album: Got my interest back in Metallica after the dreadfull sounding Justice (ironically, I love Justice now!)
                          Therapy? - Troublegum: Simple, but sounds great
                          Slayer - South of Heaven / Seasons in the Abyss (honourable mention for Reign In Blood and Hell Awaits): Simply the best at what they do
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            FORBIDDEN

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill, ever since I watched Ultimate Revenge II about a month ago for the 10000th time, I've had Chalice of Blood and Through Eyes Of Glass stuck in my head nonstop.

Comment

this is a hard one.....
                              i'd say nevermore. they just kick my ass more than anything else. other than that, i'm a HUGE cannibal corpse fan (bloodthirst being my favorite record), metallica because they got me into metal in the first place (nowadays i don't listen to them a lot, though), and last but not least the haunted, a band that i discovered not long ago, but now is one of my alltime favorites.
                              my top 5 albums in no particular order
                              nevermore - politics of ecstacy and the s/t one, tie
                              the haunted - made me do it
                              kreator - violent revolution
                              slayer - reign in blood
                              cannibal corpse - bloodthirst

this is what i'm all about....thrash, and even more thrash. although i'm also way into the whole speed and 80s metal stuff, as well as whitesnake and dokken. the whole shredder thing doesn't do a lot for me personally, except for yngwie and john petrucci.....by the way, i forgot to mention dream theater!!

Comment

Working...
                              X