Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I played my first 7 string while evacuated.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I played my first 7 string while evacuated.......

While I was evacuated during Katrina, I had a chance to play a 7 string Ibanez that was brought by a fellow evacuee. I really liked cranking on that seventh string, although everything I played sounded kinda like nu-metal to my ears. Still you can do so many cool things with that string. We played with some different tunings besides tuning it to A, such as tuning it to match the low E and that was kinda cool too. Overall, I liked it and would like to pick one up. However, I don't want to spend a fortune on one since, to me, it is a novelty. Anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced, good sounding 7 string??

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: I played my first 7 string while evacuated....

i had an ibanez 7421 XL 7 string, baritone scale. i put Evolutions in it and it sounded monstrous. incredible sound, but I cant get used to 7 string necks, and the low string always seemed too floppy, even with thicker gauges. so i sold it, and i dont miss it at all.

Comment

I'd suggest the Schecter C-7 Elite or whatever its called. The one that Loomis uses. I've played the Omen 7 and even though its a much cheaper guitar it still blew away the 7 string competition (which admittedly for me consisted of a BC Rich and a an Ibanez, I'm not big on 7 strings). Its pretty reasonably priced, and its a sharp looking guitar.

Comment

Yeah, Schecters are great. I've got a 007 Elite that's H/S. Loomis also has one, but the H/H model. I changed the Duncan Designed pups in mine (they sounded decent, just not that much output) to a Duncan Custom and DiMarzio Blaze.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

An Ibanez RG7620 is a pretty nice one I've also owned, they can be found pretty cheap. The necks are Wizard thin, though, if you're into thinner necks.

Comment

Hey thats the one I played toejam. Sweet guitar that. The C-7 Hellraiser sounds even nicer though, or the Blackjack. The Blackjack has JB/59 and the Hellraiser has EMG 707's. Little more expensive than the Omen 7. The Damien 7 sounds nice too but it has a Asswood body.

Comment

I'm not sure what your limit is as to being reasonably priced, but maybe you should check out a Carvin. Standard models starting at $729.00 for a high quality neck-thru USA built guitar!

http://www.carvin.com/products/guita...emNumber=DC727
              Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Hey thats the one I played toejam. Sweet guitar that. The C-7 Hellraiser sounds even nicer though, or the Blackjack. The Blackjack has JB/59 and the Hellraiser has EMG 707's. Little more expensive than the Omen 7. The Damien 7 sounds nice too but it has a Asswood body.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Cool. Schecters are a really good deal. Mine's all mahogany.. so they say... and it's pretty light (the cheaper import mahogany, of course). The neck is also set, but it looks like it's almost neck-thru with the way they carve the heel down. I got rid of my Ibanez awhile ago and just wanted another 7-string... it was either order a Carvin for twice the price or get the Schecter for now. I love Carvins, but the Schecter is really nice and I just couldn't resist it!
                Loomis also has one of the C or Black Jack models, I can't remember which.

Comment

I just got a Schecter C-7 Blackjack, and it kicks maximum ass. Be aware, though, that it has a 26.5" scale, so it does take some getting used to. But that longer neck makes a big difference in how the low-B sounds.

I'd say go for either the C-7 Blackjack or Hellraiser. Though they have some cosmetic differences, they are functionally much the same (set neck, mahogany body), except that the Blackjack has Duncan JB/59 pickups and a maple neck, while the Hellraiser has a mahogany neck and EMG-707 pickups. It comes down to preference--you can't go wrong either way. By the way, Loomis' main guitar now is a C-7 Hellraiser, though he also plays Blackjacks (both the C-7 and 007 versions, I believe). I would go for either of these Schecters over the Ibanez or Carvin 7's, and I've owned all of them at one time or another.

Comment

If you want a cheap way into the 7-string arena, try the Washburn WG587 from music123. It's only $199 but feels like a $500-600 guitar. Well I guess it's because that's how much they were before they were discontinued! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

hmm i think a 7620 or a schecter would be a really good choice- i only played 6 string shecters but they seemed solid and GREAT sounding.

The 7620 can be found @ around 400/450 on ebay sometimes - great deal for a guitar that has a lo-pro edge 7

Comment

7 strings are great, I personally don't like tuned down 6 strings because I really need a high E string.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                        X