OWNED (Katrina related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OWNED (Katrina related)

There was a newspaper article published in October 2002 by the New Orleans Times (I think that's the paper), that describes N.O. in event of a Cat 4-5 Hurricane. The article warns of a storm that will come and the description of the outcome nails it to the "T"! Amazing the article was dead on, and I mean the aftermath and caos that has ensued! I'm trying to locate it again.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

It was in the "Times-Picayune" newspaper. Still seaching.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Hey Mike, I'm curious (not pointing fingers at all here)...just want your POV since you are local.

Isn't the bridge where everyone was camped (from the above article) the bridge that goes into your part of town? Who is the Sheriff over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they were camped out on the Crescent City Connection, which leads from NOLA to the West Bank. It first dumps you off in the town of Gretna. Which is very white, very law and order and very racist. I heard Gretna was a virtual fortress after the storm and mostly high and dry. Gretna is in Jefferson Parish which has one of the most openly racist Sheriffs in our nation, Harry Lee. It is ironic because he is Chinese, a Chinese racist. This man has actually said ****** on television.

Now, those scenes of people living under the overpass on I-10, that is the exit to Causeway Blvd. and the Causeway bridge, which leads to Mandeville, where I live. That is the longest continuous bridge in the world...it is almost 26 miles long. There was, at some point, discussion of having people WALK the Causeway to Mandeville, or the shorter still intact bridge from New Orleans East into destroyed Slidell. However, St. Tammany Parish officials said "Hell No" and had essentially an armed barricade into any St. Tammany point of access. You guessed it, St. Tammany is very white, very affluent and very law and order and racist.

I have lived in New Orleans for half of my life. I came from the most affluent County in the nation, to reside in one of the nation's poorest cities. However, it is MY city. I have tried to leave...but I have never been able. Yes, I fled to white suburbia and put a lake and a 26 mile bridge between myself and the city. I did so because I was starting a family and I wanted my kids to be safe and to be able to go to the best public schools in the state. However, my family now lives in Lake Charles. My fiance' is a city girl and I had active plans to sell my house and move Uptown with her. I only see my house on the weekends when I have the kids, the rest of my time is spent in Uptown and Downtown New Orleans. I was finally working downtown again and staying in my fiance's house during the week in Uptown.

I really haven't come to grips with the ramifications of this. It is just mind-boggling that entire towns like Chalmette are gone, just gone.

I just don't know what to say.

The one thing I DO know. Is that I cannot stand by while the White House pins this on anyone and everyone else. This blame needs to be placed on everyone's shoulders, because everyone fucked up royally.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Breaking news!!

Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, according to the Associated Press.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.

Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Admiral Thad w. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts.
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Re: Breaking news!!

"people suck............"

+1
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, according to the Associated Press.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.

Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Admiral Thad w. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw this coming considering all the hoopla surrounding him.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Some interesting thoughts from a New Orleans native.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

For anyone interested...
                  Link for ability to save from a difficult webpage attempting to deny this..
                  (Right click/save)
                  http://x700.putfile.com/videos/c6-24720025216.wmv

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    Wow, what an article...

Strange, I posted a similar type of thing and the thread was locked. Maybe mine was more blaming I guess...

What's that about.... Very interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting a bit sick of the shots of threads getting locked. For the recoard I locked it after getting a complaint.. end of story

[/ QUOTE ]

So, all it takes is for someone to complain and you jump to locking a thread? "oh, some (inofensive) internet post has offended me, please do something!!!"

There has been much worse, even in very previous threads that weren't locked. Outright offensive stuff, left intact.

What was the complaint? "Oh, it's too truthful! I might have to get my head out of the sand if I read that". haha...

If the thread was "that" bad, why wasn't it deleted? It was left for all to read (bravo in that respect). But, it wasn't bad, it was just the truth.

Comment

Actually the complaint was that both you and Bill can't just voice your opinion you have to shove it up everyone ass thill they agree.. like your doing to me about locking the threads
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Actually the complaint was that both you and Bill can't just voice your opinion you have to shove it up everyone ass thill they agree.. like your doing to me about locking the threads

[/ QUOTE ]

The part everyone needs to remember is that nobody is forcing you to read any of these posts. If it offends you, don't read it, don't look at it, don't touch it, and certainly don't eat it.

Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone is mature enough to accept the fact that everyone has an opinion.

IMHO, actual mileage may vary [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Having rode out about 5-6 hurricanes over the last 20 years, I think there is a tendency to become complacent when it comes to dealing with them, both by the general population as well as FEMA. For the most part all FEMA has to do is hand out water and blue tarps to cover roof damage, and take applications for finacial aid. The states and local governments are saddled with most of the duties as far geting things cleaned up and functioning as normal as possible. If putting FEMA in Homeland security dept. was an attempt to quicken response time in case of a disaster it has failed miserably.
                          The concept of hunkering down and riding these suckers out doesn't seem like as good an option as it did a few weeks ago. anything a 3 or bigger and my ass is evacuating, and I'm 50 miles inland and the second highest place in Florida is in my west 40, Hopefully as bad as this is, people will learn by it and take these things a lot more seriously.
                          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Everyone else has the ability to say as much as Bill or I say about anything. They should say something that can counter an opinion, and show us the light.

Like what what Bill and I say actually means something to anyone anyways , haha...

There are MANY others that hold the same ideas as Bill and I. And voice it as well. Singling us out like that isn't quite reasonable. yes, we are both often on the board and often have similar outlooks, yes. BUT, we like to hear what others have to say and debate (not berate) them.

We "generally" just discuss it. We don't shove it up anyones ass.

So, if they are pissy about us, why don't they just debate us in a logical debate, instead of complaining that we are shoving it up their ass?

Comment

"Actually the complaint was that both you and Bill can't just voice your opinion you have to shove it up everyone ass thill they agree.. like your doing to me about locking the threads "

well now ...I must say that complaint was "unfounded"..IMO

because I never "shove" anything up any ass..not even my wife's.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I "SPEAK" and that's it....some LOVE it (haven't you noticed yet) ..but a couple of my "fans" don't...I know EXACTLY who they are.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I really don't care..

Because Life is good and I got Pizza!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When you see the name.."horns666"...that's a name a few love to HATE..and I never want to dissappoint them!

Love ,

Bill

BTW..Have an awesome weekend ..I sure will. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My biggest beef with the evacuation, and remember I live in the city of Louisiana, is that there are 965843745823958349
                                busses sitting in 10+ feet of fucking water. The people that couldnt leave due to no way to leave. were not offered the public transit system in order to evacuate. New Orleans is the 15th largest city in this country. that means there is a large population that cant afford to get out on there own...
                                No help was given to them. Hell the Amtrac train "city of New Orleans" holds 500 people and could have made a couple of trips
                                Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Working...
                                X