Question for all you hockey fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for all you hockey fans...

With the season looming over us, which by the way I am really looking forward to seeing the Wild win it all this year, I have a question for all you hockey fans. I have been playing hockey all my life. From the time I was young to my last year in college, I would eat, breathe, and sleep it... we had to or our coaches would not play us. Anyways, I see all the young stars today doing moves there are not even names for, and I wonder if the stars from back in the day could be the young stars of today. If you took guys like Orr, Hall, Gretzky, etc and matched them up against todays stars like Martin St. Louis, Marion Gaberik, and Sidney Crosby who would win?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Question for all you hockey fans...

The old guys, for sure. They didn't wear helmets. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's just like old football and the pantywaste game they play today.Any 50' or 60's players would eat these new young sissies for lunch. Now, keep your stick down. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Hard to say, it's an apples-oranges type of comparison. Training and sports medicine certainly has come a long way through the years. Though I will say that I think that today's players are less in it "for the game" than Gretzky, Hull, Orr, or their contemporaries were.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Oh ya no doubt my friend. The old guys did not where helmets. No question about it, they were tough as nails. However the young guys of today have such accuracy that they could hit the old guys square in the forehead before they could blink.

Comment

I know nill about hockey, but isn't this like asking if Hendrix could stand up to EVH in a guitar battle? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Times and techniques and styles change, but it is the same game.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Oh ya no doubt my friend. The old guys did not where helmets. No question about it, they were tough as nails. However the young guys of today have such accuracy that they could hit the old guys square in the forehead before they could blink.

[/ QUOTE ] They would just get up and check the little brat over the screen. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm too blind to watch hockey. I can't see the puck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, in my opinion, Gordie Howe was the most well rounded player to ever lace up skates. He could make all the plays, score all the goals and beat the lips off you if you made him mad. A very dangerous man.

I still think a lot of the original greats could move the puck around the young hot shots, but they couldn't keep up with them - no chance.

I've had the pleasure of watching Crosby play our local QMJ team over the past few years and if he doesn't get you with his puck handling, or passing, he kills you with his ungodly speed...every time. Crosby plays like one of the old timers with turbo engaged.

However, very few of these younger players can pass the puck around the ice the way the older guys could. Remember the Oilers or Islanders of the early to mid 80's? Those teams were magicians with the puck. Before dump & chase became hockey it was all about setting up the goal and making plays - a skill lost to recent players.

I guess I don't know who would win. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They would just get up and check the little brat over the screen. I'm too blind to watch hockey. I can't see the puck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its like that movie Bloodsport where the little monkey guy is fighting the large Asian man wearing that cloth thing. The little monkey guy hits him a few times, but in the end the large asian man just clobbers him.

Comment

Wasn't hockey a sort of contact sport once upon a time? Same with football. It's more like a nice firm apple and a strawberry comparison.

Comment

The way you measure greatness in an athelete is how much did they dominate the sport against the other players of their time, players are getting bigger, faster, (a lot faster), conditioning has changed to a year round practice, If these greats were coming up now and did all the things current players do as far physical training I am sure they would be great players today. Hey the lightning were defending Stanley Cup champs for 2 years, whadda ya know. "Drop the Biscuit, its Hockey time" finally
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Hockey is getting so soft they are going to introduce the new Wolfgang "Puck". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That's all from me. I'll let you real fans face off. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Ya I have to admit, technology has changed so much since the golden days of puck. You have these young guys using $200 dollar Synergy sticks and who have parents who sleep with the coaches to get their kids on the right teams and stuff. Year round ice is availible, and god forbid if one of the young players broke a nail or something there is some modern day cure. Bring back the days of the Hansons and the foil.
                        I am glad to see the season will return this year, but I miss watching the old North Stars play. Those guys could do it all!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I am glad to see the season will return this year, but I miss watching the old North Stars play. Those guys could do it all!

[/ QUOTE ]

It still seems odd Hockey in all the sunbelt states, they do draw decent crowds, but the majority of the new market fans don't really know much of the history and finer points of the game, I grew up playing hockey on frozen ponds, we didn't know what we doing but it sure was fun, until someone lost a chicklet or two, heck even that was fun.
                          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

one thing that I never try to do is compare stars of different eras. Its not a fair compairson. Here's a couple of reasons...players are bigger and better atheletes, equipment and sticks weigh a lot less than it did. Its a different game althogether. Players played for the love of the game and not for the money. I do think hockey players of yesteryear were tougher than players of today.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Hard to say, it's an apples-oranges type of comparison. Training and sports medicine certainly has come a long way through the years. Though I will say that I think that today's players are less in it "for the game" than Gretzky, Hull, Orr, or their contemporaries were.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll disagree with you there. I come from Saskatchewan, it's ALL we do here in winter. In my junior days, I played against quite a few guys in the NHL today, Sask has sent quite a few guys to the NHL. These guys have done nothing but play hockey all their lives. In fact, I saw them being pushed by parents to a level of borderline abuse, in hopes of their kids makign the NHL. But to be in the NHL today, you have to be elite, and have to pretty much have played all your life. Their is an odd exception ( I think Ed Jovanovski started playing when he was 14 or 15) but most of these guys have played since they were 3-5 years old.

To answer your question, the greats wouldnt be so great in todays game. With the level thigns are at, and the physicality and size of players realtive to the rink, Gretzky wouldnt even stand out. Gordie Howe would likely be a mediocre power forward, and etc. It's just the way I see it. I worked at the Calgary Saddledome two years ago, and got to see a lot of practices and such. I was blown away at the skating ability, shot power, etc. of what I saw. But, come game time, there is no fancy dangling or insanely creative passes. It's clutch and pull, skate hard, watch out you dont get killed in a hit, and just grind through the game. Jarome Iginla is fast, and has a rocket of a shot. Put him back in the 80's, and he would dominate. In todays game, he is an all star, but look how many goals he has scored in the 83 game season.

The bar was just upped so much over the last few years in terms of size/athleticism.

Which is unfortuante, because it makes the game more boring to watch. A guy like Chris Dingman doesnt belong in the NHL, he offers no excitement. He is just big and can play the "power forward" 4th liner boring role. I hate it, and can barely watch an NHL game nowadays. Junior hockey (WHL) has slowly come to that too. It used to be high scoring games with tons of great moives and shots, and now half of these 16/17 year olds are bigger then me, and are playing the NHL style game.

I love hockey, but the NHL bores me, I much enjoy playing rec hockey now more then full contact Sr leagues (you can have nice plays, and not have to worry about losing your teeth every night out)

Why do you think the NBA is doing so well, it's the nice plays and "showtime" appeal. No the zone defenses and tight man to man coverage.

The excitement in sports comes from offense, and when you lose a big part of your offense, the interest is lost as well...

In summation, NO, those old stars wouldnt do much in todays game!

[img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X