Question for all you hockey fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for all you hockey fans...

it's like... would the 93-94 rangers beat the 03-04 lightning? it depends... when they play (year wise) back in 94 the rangers probably sweep the lightning. in 03 the lightning take them out in 6. rules and goalie equipment have a big impact on that question. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
    Amp... Pioneer
    Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

The greats would rule in todays game. Most of todays chumps wouldnt even make it to the NHL back then. Count the number of players in their 40s today. Thats not a good sign..........

Comment

Its the same type of question I discussed about Forumla 1 recently. Put Schumacher against Fangio and he would have died in three races. Same applies here, the difference is to large. The way humans and technology, human performance advances is a system or a process. Its not a linear tract, its constantly varied. There will always be the 'norm', to compare the players against. Theres no doubt that with advancement the 'norm' gets better and better and pushed further to the elite. Which makes anyone who can stand out nowdays a huge star. Consistency is also very much overlooked. Put in a standout year, your a star, keep it up, your a legend. Failure to do so (jiggy'gigguere) and your just a 'good player', still part of the elite. Thats why I'll continue to admire players like Sakic, who just shutup, head down, make the plays, score the goals, and lead the teams night after night.

On the flip, how would the media treat Roenick 20-30 years ago [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yip, Joe IS admirable and has played the game with skill and class for many years, easily one of my favourites. then you look at Jagr, he can play at the highest level, WHEN he wants to. HE has what it takes to succeed, but doesnt have the fire to keep it on all the time!

Good post though bibz, I fully concur!

Comment

You make some good points gemini8026 but defense wins, plain and simple. There will be spurts where offense prevails but eventually the defense finds a way to squash it. The same is true in the NBA, defense wins championships.

Today's players are better players in today's game. One big difference is you have to be a two way player and play equally as well in both ends of the rink. They are better conditioned too, its not like Guy Lafleur lighting up a smoke on the bench. Its all hypothetical so its not fair to do comparisons because we'll never know for sure. I think Wayne Gretzky, as great as he was would have been killed in the Howe era game of the late 60's and early 70's. He would of had his bell rung so many times his brain would look like Eric Lindros inside [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But since we'll never know its so easy to refute the claim or debate it until cows fly. Athletes of today are better but it doesn’t mean they would be dominating in the way the game was played in the 60's or 70's.

We'll see how the gimmicky rule changes affect the 05-06 game. I personally loved the game the way it was, all they had to do was enforce the rules already in place, primarily neutral zone violations. I'm happy to be talking hockey again and am so ready for the season to begin...
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
            X