Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting another band play your songs....details

What are you opinions on this.

My band...has written several songs, over the course of a couple years. Unfortunately we've had drummer problems...as you may well know through my tyrades.

Anyway, my brother/band member/guitar player extraordinaire. Was asked to join a band while he's in Denver studying Culinary arts at Johnson and Wales University. They wanted him to play witht hem so badly that they offered to learn his/my/our songs.

At this point I don't have a problem with this...so long as they don't record OUR songs and claim them as their own. As I don't like spenind g a month writing a song just for somebody else to take credit for.

He claims their drummer is the kind of drummer we're looking for. Very Gene Hogland influenced, and they played some of their older stuff when they had a different guitar player and it sounds very much like Death circa Individual Thougth Patterns. But the stuff they've been doing lately has a more Hardcorish style to it, still death metal..just alot more breakdowns and what not at least that's the impression I get from teh descriptives he's used to describe them.

Is it a bad idea? We're hoping to recruit this drummer in the summer to make a studio recording.

Is this a bad idea? To let them work on our stuff? If we can gain a solid drummer out of this....then fuck it..I am all for it.

Re: Letting another band play your songs....details

i wouldn't worry about it, as long as you get writing credit where applicable.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Letting another band play your songs....detail

Make sure you copyrighted your works.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I'd say its 50/50 bro. Its cool that another band is wanting to play your originals..But yeah-DEFINITELY make sure you get the songs copyrighted, so credit is given where credit is deserved.

Comment

COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT

Did I mention copyright?

Be absoluely sure a copy of your songs are on file with the Library of Congress before allowing anyone to do ANYTHING with your music. If you do not do this simple thing you will NEVER RECIEVE A SINGLE PENNY OR CREDIT for your creative work.

The best of intentions, friendships, lifetime relationships - all these pale before the power of FAME AND FORTUNE in this biz. If you bend over, someone WILL be along shortly to screw you.

Have a nice day.
          [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

This is why Nor is my hero. And should be my manager. Or maybe I should be his guitar tech.

Comment

+1 million times on the copyright. Brother or not, the guys he is playing with may have other motives.

Comment

Does that whole poor mans copyright thing work..

you mail a letter to yourself with song titles , band name , lyics and etc, to yourself..and you don't open it..unless you need to...

anyone..is this bullcrap...anyone??
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You can do that, BillZ, but get it stamped over the seal part of the envelope by the post office.
                  It is not expensive to copyright your work, that is the best way to go. You can copyright an entire collection at a time and save yourself some money that way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.copyright.gov/

Comment

It's crap Bill. If you're strapped for cash and don't want to fork out the $30 or so each new registration costs you can collect all of your works in a compendium of some sort (album, songbook, book of poetry/lyrics, set of musical scores, etc.) one place then register a copyright in the compendium for the same $30. If you can't afford to register both the sound recording and written score, there are also very very solid strategic reasons for registering the written score first.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

OK..that's is some good info folks..

thanks.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        You can do that, BillZ, but get it stamped over the seal part of the envelope by the post office.
                        It is not expensive to copyright your work, that is the best way to go. You can copyright an entire collection at a time and save yourself some money that way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.copyright.gov/

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.. wait 2 weeks for the forms to arrive, fill them out, send the stuff off, problem solved.. takes a few weeks for the works to get registerd w/ the Library of Congress, but if the forms are already in the mail you can generally safely start working with the material without worrying [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Download the forms online, and don't have t wait the 2 weeks. But yes, fill them out, and send them in. We just did 9 of our bands songs..for $30 bucks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Does that whole poor mans copyright thing work..

you mail a letter to yourself with song titles , band name , lyics and etc, to yourself..and you don't open it..unless you need to...

anyone..is this bullcrap...anyone??

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't try it, Bill.

Here's some info from Snopes. Link

Comment

yeah I was guessing that. Il'l be working ont eh copy right this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X