Crankdaddy Shoots Our First Music Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankdaddy Shoots Our First Music Video

Some of you may remember that my band Crankdaddy has played in New York City for the past couple of years, at something called The Battle of the Ad Bands.

It's an event for charity that features bands comprised of members from advertising agencies...hence the name. Anyway, we got selected to play again this year, and we'll be headed to NY on the 26th.

Anyway, as part of the deal, all the ad agency bands participating were asked to make a music video. Panasonic offered FREE use of an $80,000 High Definition camera for two days...along with an operator, a $3000 production budget, and free editing and finishing. Dudes, this is some serious free crap they're giving away...10s of thousands of dollars, easy.

Anyway, long story short, our camera and crew showed up yesterday, and we shot our video for "Jetta." The concept is basically all of us at work in the agency, rocking in our individual offices, and shaking the hell out of the agency. We had lots of our co-workers involved, and it was awesome.

What a day, though. I go on TV shoots all the time, but this was much more complicated. 12 hours of shooting. Still, it was fun...shooting a HIGH DEF video of a song that I WROTE, being played in MY COMPANY'S OFFICE ....PAID FOR BY SOMEBODY ELSE!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, I thought it was cool enough to share. Here are a couple photos from the shoot.

First, our receptionist Nicole...along with the 5 man crew at the shoot.

The director, Tim, who just busted something off the wall in our lead guitarist's office.

Finally, me in my office, rockin' (what else) my GMP Evel Knievel V.

Re: Crankdaddy Shoots Our First Music Video

Dude, that's freakin awsome! Where are you guys playing the 26th, I think I'll drop by and say hey [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

that chick is cute..

who dat.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

oh...it's receptionist Nicole..

Tell I said...what's up. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Too Freaking Cool!!!!

Comment

Awesome!

Love that V too Evel was my childhood hero. I always wanted that zip motorcycle thing. I used to go to this guy's house and put a naked barbie on the back of evel's bike and take her for a 'cruise' [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Looks like a great time, where are we going to find this video when it's finished? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I used to go to this guy's house and put a naked barbie on the back of evel's bike and take her for a 'cruise' [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this ladies and gentlemen is how musicians are born. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

it's now official, tom.

you are my hero.

that fucking rules, man, and it couldn't happen to a nicer dude.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                it's now official, tom.

you are my hero.

that fucking rules, man, and it couldn't happen to a nicer dude.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Kick ass!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Awesome dude! We've been approached about a music video from a guy who has connections with some larger independent labels, and our label is pushing us to get one done by the end of the year. So far it's been pretty daunting, I guess because coming up with a concept is just something I've never really thought about at all before. How did you guys do it?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Awesome!

Love that V too Evel was my childhood hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.... I remember snake river canyon, I was glued to the TV. That year I got an "Evil Knievel stunt cycle" for Christmas....Ahhh life was good.

The video thing is very cool...the best part is you get to do an original song....that rocks!
                      >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

I had that Evil Knievel stunt cycle!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It wasn't that evil tho..more like the real thing really..it just went in circles and crashed into a wall. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

GMP V is boss. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Loves the EK pinball machine, jump set, etc. He was my Elvis. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Used to jump with my bike over ramps on the sidewalks! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, Bill -- if you look over my shoulder in the second shot where I'm playing, you can see MY Evel Knievel wind up stuntcycle! It's on my shelf of toys in my office. It's a re-issue of the original toy, but it's still badass! Oh, and I also have the original die-cast Snake River Canyon cycle from that playset as well. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

As for coming up with a concept for the video, it's a little easier for me, because it's my job to come up with concepts for TV spots and ads and stuff. (Like I said, I work in advertising.) But what most bands do is let their director come up with the idea. If you can find a production house who's willing to do a video for you, ask them to present concepts for the video to you.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I still can't believe we did it. It was very, very cool.

I'll be headed to New York next week sometime for the edit. I'm thinking in a couple weeks it'll be hosted somewhere for you guys to check it. I'll definitely let you know.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Tom, that fantastic! What a great ooportunity for you guys and the people at work [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Looks like you had a great time and yes, please tell us how we can get the video when she's done as well - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X