choosing ohm rated headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choosing ohm rated headphones

i have a pair of beyer dynamics dt100 headphones. it seems to cancel out the bottom E string on every clean played guitar i use. my mixes end up being too thumpy at the low end and very tinny at the high end. i'm considering a pair of dt250's but they come in 80ohm and 250ohm ratings. which one is the better choice?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Re: choosing ohm rated headphones

What's the Ohmage rating on the DT100s?
    And I've never really considered Ohms for headphones - just frequency response. How important would the Ohms rating be?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

apparently the sites advertising these two headphones don't state the freq. responses, but could have a profound affect on the way i mix my songs.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I have the DT-250 80 ohm headphones and they are my favorite pair. Most audio equipment will work fine with them. If you get the 250 ohm ones, you won't be able to drive them with portable music players or other limited-power headphone amps. They might sound a bit better than the 80 ohm version with high-end headphone amps, but probably not all that different....

Comment

"Ohmmmmmmm" In my many years of seeking the truth, it's the high and low end response of the phones. Go get some Koss Pros. They seem to be the cream-day-la-cream. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Now these have a speaker on "each side" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KOSS-PRO-4AA...1QQcmdZViewItem
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I have the DT-250 80 ohm headphones and they are my favorite pair. Most audio equipment will work fine with them. If you get the 250 ohm ones, you won't be able to drive them with portable music players or other limited-power headphone amps. They might sound a bit better than the 80 ohm version with high-end headphone amps, but probably not all that different....

[/ QUOTE ]

i am using a roland vs1880 mixer/recorder ("portastudio" or digital audio workstation"). am i still better off with the 80ohm version of dt250?
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

I would say so...though I am not familiar with the vs1880's headphone outs, I would guess they would be somewhat underpowered like those on other portable recorders (my DPS-12 is not nearly loud enough). If you need your headphones to be loud, you'll be better off with the 80 ohm ones. If you have a dedicated headphone preamp, then you'll be OK either way.

Comment

I should add though, DT-250's are closed-back headphones, so by design they won't be "flat" as you might like for mixing stuff down. Really you want to mix down through monitors, not headphones. If you want headphones that would be more flat in their output, you might consider getting an open or semi-open back design.

Comment

Working...
                  X