Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Sox in rear view

[ QUOTE ]
    On a side note, i lost my dad 3 weeks after the sox won it. We have been fans since day one. I was 2 or 3 when i learned Yankees Suck.... He saw Williams play and everyone else that made the Sox the Sox. There is NO WAY that it can be as good as last year but with him up there, i think we have a bit of an edge so look out

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about your Dad, Superfly. If he taught you from 3 years old to hate the Yankees, then, as a Red Sox fan, he taught you right.
    I was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Hope your dad is sitting in his recliner, next to Williams and Ruth, sipping on the most awesome beer having as much fun with this as we are down here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      It'll come down to the last series. I'll be there on Friday night. Talk to me on October 3rd. My guess, if we win, we won't hear from any of you guys except Don...

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be good. I'll be down in Key West 29 Sep - 4 Oct hopefully celebrating, but if not, I'll be back on the board 5 Oct to tkae what I got coming.
      I agree, you still own the belt, and it is yours until its taken away,.....which will be soon. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for not posting when we were 5 1/2 behind. I like these kind of threads, where, its a flash in the pan, dump on each other, than go away for a while. Kinda fun! (not to be confused with taking it seriously). [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

it's actually too bad that these threads don't go all season. i really like talkin baseball, and not just the red sox. there's also the white sox. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          there's also the white sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH man,....I'm staying outa this one! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            yeah isn't it funny how this these threads ahd died and now all of a sudden bam ..typical of yankees fans

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the fact that the end of the season - no matter what team you like - always gets more exciting. You know, like when each and every game has a progressively hightened meaning? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              there's also the white sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH man,....I'm staying outa this one! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel bad for them; they were up so high, and have really hit the skids. i think i broke my dad's heart when i told him that i was cheering for the red sox when they played each other. it was hard to watch for me, being a fan of both teams. i grew up a white sox fan and went to games at the old comiskey park. i was heartbroken when they tore it down the day after my 19th bday. i would love to see the white sox go to the series and win.
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Jon, what made you a Sox fan? Red that is... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

and Don.... thank you bro [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] His fave drink was a Greyhound... So he's suckin down a couple of those.
                  I don't know about Ruth tho [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I don't know about Ruth tho

[/ QUOTE ]

Ruth's probably sitting there rubbing it in, saying, "See, I told you not to trade me" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Everyone is still missing the obvious.

It's the Braves Year. I Gurrentee it
                      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Jon, what made you a Sox fan? Red that is... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

sept or oct 1999, i was sitting in my apt, bored, flipping channels. i came across a playoff game between the sox and the indians (i'm pretty sure it was them), and i just decided to leave the tv on as noise as i was practicing. well, that didn't last long; some dude with one of the weirdest names i'd heard was tearing up the infield. what's his name? nomar? where the hell did he get that name? seeing him at the plate, with all of his idiosyncracies really made me pay attention. hell, their offense was great; they'd just hammer and hammer and hammer away. two strikes, two outs? no problem, let's get more hits! and they would! it was crazy; i'd never seen a team that was so damn scrappy. they had heart. wicked heahhht.

i wasn't a huge baseball fan, but it was exciting, and i was really enoying watching them play. fast forward a few years and a friendship with some weirdo in NH, and over the past few years, i became more and more interested. the 2003 season killed me, the offseason was a roller coaster, too. schilling arrives, manny and nomar are rumored to be traded for the a-rod deal, that stalls, manny's still on the block, nomar is unhappy, pedro wants to talk money, but nothing happens, keith foulke shows up, and off we went. this past off season was miserable for me. i was on the boston.com site all day, refreshing the hot stove updates and rumors of who was going where. it reminded me a lot of when i was still in chicago and the bulls would win. after every championship there was the talks of breaking the team up. it was retarded, exciting, and draining. thankfully, i had those kinda moments to prepare me for this stuff. my god, i was crushed when pedro signed with the mets. i was sad to see d-lowe go (well, the post-season performing d-lowe, not the regular season headcase), i was sad and irritated that o-cab was ignored and they got renteria instead, etc.

anyway, that's that. as i've said before, the sox can make me a million times more irritated and crazy than my 13 year old son ever could, and they can make me happier than just about anything. that said, i don't bag on our players when they're slumping, and you won't hear me say "ugh, this game is done." because i know better. yeah, they're gonna lose some games, but if game 4 taught us anything, it's that you can't give up on your team. like many, i sat there for that 19-8 game 3 and watched all of it. i never turned the tv off. i never gave up on my sox. my mantra or game 4 was "just don't get swept, don't get swept, don't get swept...." and they won. and they won again. and again, and holy shit, it's game 7 and johnny just hit a grand slam!!!!

and i sure as hell won't give up on them now. being down 3-0 last year in the alcs was a lot darker than being 1/2 a game down now. yes, i understand it's a different team, but you get my point. mirabelli was quoted last night as saying "if we can't recover from being down 1/2 game, we have no business being there anyway." it's true. there's still games to play, and while i hope the tables turn, they may not. none of us control that. all we can do is cheer, scream, yell, and believe.

still reporting live from red sox nation,
                        sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

frankly i'm surprised we're over 500
                          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Re: Yanks-Red Sox

Well lets see sept 2 Yanks in first, sounds good to me
                            I will predict no melt downs this year
                            Don't know who will win, but its gonna be a great race [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            It sure would be cool to see Johnson and Schilling going at it again

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              i grew up a white sox fan and went to games at the old comiskey park. i was heartbroken when they tore it down the day after my 19th bday. i would love to see the white sox go to the series and win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been a while for the ChiSox. I remember them more in the 70's with Bill Melton, Bucky Dent,
                              Wilbur......, Walt (no neck) Williams.

I was sitting out in my yard, I think it was '75 or '76 and ChiSox were in town and they scored like, 10 runs in the first inning, then the Yanks came up and scored 11 in the bottom half. Never forgot that game.

I personally think Chicago is gonna get their sh*t together and hold on for the division title. Although, the Indians are on a roll. Kind of like the BoSox were at the end of last year.

Problem with the wild card is, whoever gets it, is usually on a roll and for the last 3 years (Bosoxs, Marlins and Diamondbacks), its carried them thru the World Series. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

i remember guys like chet lemon and those horrible, horrible pajama looking unis they had with the blue lapels on them! ugh, they were awful! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                Sully Guitars on Google+
                                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X