Uli Jon Roth... MUST READ!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uli Jon Roth... MUST READ!!!

Is the best guitar player that has ever lived and probably will ever live. Watching him perform live is a religious experience. Nobody ever.. in the history of guitar playing... can play like that. I have a crummy grainy VHS tape of an entire Uli concert from the early 80's. I can't convey what Uli can do with a guitar live.

Re: Uli Jon Roth... MUST READ!!!

Alright,
    I need a bumper sticker version of UJR.

I have seen him pop up over the years, but I am too lazy to get the Biography. I know he was in real early scorpions, what esle did he do? Nazareth or some other supergroup thing that had an album or two?

I am not trying to be an ass, just sounds like I missed a guitar god. I have the same problem with Jeff Beck. I got an album or two - but I found nothing I enjoyed musically on them. I must be missing something.

I do like Scorpions around the 'In Trance' period that's still Uli - right?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

John , Dude YOU are preaching to the choir my brother!!!

He is THE best in my book (i have a big book) and NOBODY comes close..

Me and my wife were listening to Yngwie's new "Unleah the Fury" and as good as the Malsteenator is..he does NOT possess the heart and soul of a player such as Uli...NO WAY..!!!

YJM is awesome..he's has passion , feel and tons of fire..

Uli is so emotional..he is THE only player on earth that gives my wife and "me"..goomebumps..

emotion and articulation just pour out of him like I never heard from any player in my life ..

Now I have everything that man put out ..

please pick up Transcending Sky Guitar Live ..for me personally the only time it loses momentum is his homage to Hendrix..be he will play his songs "true to form" for respect of his hero...that's commendable...but a tad boring to me.

and Metamorphisis...Vivaldi's four season...YJM could NOT touch that on his best day..not even close!!!!

Plus his work in the Scrops is legendary..and is still unsurpassed till this day...IMO..

Uli is the epitome of all that is perfect in a guitar God...he is a true God!

I must say that Alexi Masi's "in the name of bach" is incredible too...not quite the calibre of the great one..but very good.

and I am a big fane of James Byrd as well..

and that dude in Fair Warning who is a disciple of Uli and plays a very similiar custom guitar from that same luthier..with alot of frets..sans the big ol' blue jewl of the "sky" ..that jewl must be magickal

I got two blue Jewls and there is nothing magical about them.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

HAIL ULI!!!

I was so upset that I was sick when he was in town but my buddy got me his autograph..so that made me feel beter!

Uli..there is NONE more better..

I love Jeff Loomis he's the new god on the block IMO...but he's not Uli status...not yet. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ulis has been not hiding into obcurity ...he's been putting out material ever since he left the scorps...but his music wasn't "marketable"..he goes off about in in the inner sleeve of his Legends of Rock CD.. with Schenker / UFO and Jack Bruce..when you read his rant you can't do anything but agree with the man!

Uli didn't and would never join the likes "limp Biscuit" to make a buck..if that is what you're expecting or implying..

he is a muscian amoung the best of muscians..it's not about hype or what's "popular"..to him it was always about his music whether people like it or not..that is why he bailed from the scorps in 78..he refuses to dummy down or compromise..!

One thing for sure ...he is the anti - sell out!!!

He belives in his music and not what is popular..he plays whatever comes from his heart and when you hear it..it is genuine not contrived..

In a worl with so man shredder and I know thm all..I have established this here without debate..

Uli is at the TOP of the foodchain! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Even I'm WAY better than Uli.....

when it comes to singing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]...Now I will take your word for it E... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No, the dude can't sing..he must enjoy it tho...because with an ear for "pitch" he is flawless..I can't see how he can listen to his records and think...wow I sing good.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I posted a Uli appreciation thread a while ago..I think in the artist section..

but you can't have too many Uli or Lommis appreciation threads in my book..

Frank Marino ..needs one too...he gave so much without much notice..just like Uli did for years!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                but his music wasn't "marketable"..he goes off about in in the inner sleeve of his Legends of Rock CD.. with Schenker / UFO and Jack Bruce..when you read his rant you can't do anything but agree with the man!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious as to what he says in there.

Matt

Comment

Watching his effortless mastery of a mega fretted guitar is an honor. Watching him grab a 21 fret strat and play it better than any strat player in history is also an honor. I am a Malmsteen fan. BIGTIME. I also love Tony Macalpine but nobody and I mean NOBODY comes even remotely close to Uli. If I had to give somebody an idea of what he sounds like.. the best way to describe him would be a perfect blend of Paganini and Hendrix. If I could dupe VHS tapes I would make copies for all of you bros. It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen and heard. I... like Bill... also get goosebumps listening and watching him play. The songs are bizarre. Think Cat Stevens after he found Alah. I am not talking about the songs or the singing. I am talking about the guitar playing. It is the purest best playing ever done on 6 strings.

Comment

To The T JG...To the T..I was just tellin cleve John pretty much the same thing.

I got the new Unleash the Fury...it's great..it's firey...But it's NOT ULI!!!

But who is..nobody that who..

Uli is the end all be all master of his craft..a guitarist's guitarist!

Comment

I'm only familiar with the "hits" that he recorded with the Scorpions (Sails of Charon mainly), but it is obvious that he was ahead of the times playing like that. A few months back he was featured on one of the those Guitar World CD's, giving a video lesson on how to play Sails of Charon. It was very cool to hear what he was thinking while composing that solo (the phrasing of the runs etc...).

I would love to hear more of his playing. I doubt I'd find much at the local music store. Probably on the net huh?

Comment

Century Media has it all Steve..12 buck a pop..1-800-250-4600 I call to see if they have it stock first..or you can order on line.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I'm only familiar with the "hits" that he recorded with the Scorpions (Sails of Charon mainly), but it is obvious that he was ahead of the times playing like that. A few months back he was featured on one of the those Guitar World CD's, giving a video lesson on how to play Sails of Charon. It was very cool to hear what he was thinking while composing that solo (the phrasing of the runs etc...).

I would love to hear more of his playing. I doubt I'd find much at the local music store. Probably on the net huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Search for Beyond the Astral Skies. The music is bizarre, the singing is even more bizarre, the guitar playing is unmatched by any player ever. BTW.. he nails everything live. Every single note and bend. There is plenty of Uli material to be had. Just start searching for it. Lots of people search Ulrich Roth because that was the name he went by in The Scorpions. Try searching Uli Jon Roth. One of his other bands after the Scorpions was called Electric Sun. It was a 3pc. I believe the 2 guys that toured with him were Japanese. It was the most amazing display of guitar virtuosity I have ever heard. That was way back in the early 80's. 25 years later there still isn't any player anywhere in any genre of music that can even come close to his mastery of the guitar. His influences included the great classical violinist's and composers and Hendrix. I would think that any Hendrix fan would love Uli. Like Bill said.. he truly is a guitarists guitar player.

Comment

I'm with Bill--the one 'must-have' Uli album for beginners is Transcendental Sky Guitar, which is a 2cd collection of live pieces he did on a European G3 tour a few years ago, with some additional studio stuff. The beauty of that album is that it focuses squarely on his guitar playing, with very little singing, and none of his orchestral stuff (though that is pretty good, actually).

I've never gotten into his Scorpions stuff, mainly because the rest of the 'non-Uli' stuff on those albums is such bland, meat-and-potatos '70s hard rock. He was WAY out of place in that band, but it did get his name out there.

Most of his solo albums are good, but TSG is the best one to start with.

I saw him on his U.S. co-headlining tour with Michael Schenker last year at a small club where I was standing about 5 feet in front Uli. That was a goddamn religious experience, I'm telling ya!!

Comment

+1 ...to any praise to the the Ulinator!

five feet away is a religious experience..none more religious ever! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X