RIP CLIFF BURTON 9.27.86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP CLIFF BURTON 9.27.86

CB was killed this week in 1986. I was a sophmore in HS. I remember where I was when I heard the news. Missed seeing him live. Rest in peace.

"When a man lies he murders some part of the world.
    These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
    All this i cannot bear to witness any longer.
    Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

--- Cliff Burton: "To Live Is To Die" ---

Re: RIP CLIFF BURTON 9.27.86

Never saw Cliff. Used to see Danny Gatton live in DC all the time though.

RIP gods of the Telecaster.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I was 5 when he died so I dont rember, but is definatley missed. RIP.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        CB was killed this week in 1986. I was a sophmore in HS. I remember where I was when I heard the news. Missed seeing him live. Rest in peace.

"When a man lies he murders some part of the world.
        These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
        All this i cannot bear to witness any longer.
        Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

--- Cliff Burton: "To Live Is To Die" ---

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 I miss cliff hate the slag Jason gets though and "To Live Is To Die" is my fave metallica song
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Hey man! I was a sophmore in HS too in 1986!

I saw them open for Ozzy - MOP tour. Cliff was a madman - though he wasn't in the spotlight. They killed!

I remember tuning into the only metal station 99.5 KISS in San Antonio listening to 'The Godfather - Joe Anthouny' RIP and the announcement came up. I was just stunned like WTF? A converted school bus in the swiss alps. His head crushed when it rolled over? Didn't make any sense for days.....

RIP Cliff!
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I saw them open for Ozzy - MOP tour. Cliff was a madman - though he wasn't in the spotlight. They killed!

[/ QUOTE ]
            I was a sophomore in high school, too! I was actually supposed to see them on that tour, but I was in trouble for something and my mom grounded me. Too bad I never got to see them with Cliff. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] RIP
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1,000 saw that tour too, that WAS Metallica.
              Hear the universe scream
              Bleeding from black holes
              Whom horns careless
              And whom God mourns

Comment

I was a senior in high school that year and hadn't really gotten into Metallica yet. My buddy and I went to see a big outdoor festival with Metallica, Ozzy, and a bunch of other bands. I remember very well them coming out and just kicking the shit out of Master of Puppets while I stood there with my jaw hanging open. So I was fortunate enough to see him play just a few months before he passed on...

And Cliff was a very special bass player, he had this aura about him that just exuded coolness. I became a big fan of his even though I'm a six stringer and usually find bass boring. To this day I have a cartoon-style picture of him as the desktop background on my home computer monitor.

RIP Cliff.

Comment

RIP Cliff! I wish I'd gotten to see you.

You're tearing it up with Rhoads, Pastorius and Vaughan now. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

and Schuldiner and Dime...
                    Hear the universe scream
                    Bleeding from black holes
                    Whom horns careless
                    And whom God mourns

Comment

I met Cliff and Hetfield a week before he died . They were headlining a gig in Belfast with Anthrax . They came out the back of the venue during the day to talk to us .

RIP Cliff
                      Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

I had the pleasure of seeing Metallica with Cliff twice. Both nights I imagine it was very difficult for Ozzy to want to follow them. They absolutely killed at both shows and all four of them were on top of their game and blew everyone away. The feeling in the arena was that something special was happening up on the stage - they just made the place ignite with energy.

I should also mention that Jake was incredible( [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]) and Ozzy was a drunken shell of the man who once fronted the mighty Sabbath.

RIP Cliff. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Metallica was never the same after Cliff passed--and that's not a slam on Jason, since I don't think he was ever given a chance to add much to the band. Cliff definitely added a lot to their writing and playing, and he was very unique. RIP.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I remember tuning into the only metal station 99.5 KISS in San Antonio listening to 'The Godfather - Joe Anthouny' RIP and the announcement came up. I was just stunned like WTF? A converted school bus in the swiss alps. His head crushed when it rolled over? Didn't make any sense for days.....

RIP Cliff!

[/ QUOTE ]

it happened in Sweden, right after a gig in stockholm (which was to be Cliff's last [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
                            bus driver hit a patch of ice during the night...bus rolled over and Cliff flew through a window, and got crushed under the bus when it tipped over on him.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                            what's crazy is that him and Kirk had argued over the bunk that Cliff was in before they departed...if Kirk hadn't given in then he's the one who would've been dead now.
                            even though I really like Kirk, and god forbid any thing would ever happen to him, I think it would've been easier for Metallica to replace him than to replace Cliff...because with Cliff..well ya just can't!!
                            all the good ones go first... R.I.P. we'll always have his music!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              what's crazy is that him and Kirk had argued over the bunk that Cliff was in before they departed...if Kirk hadn't given in then he's the one who would've been dead now

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know that, pretty interesting. thanks for sharing!

RIP Cliff! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X