Low end G4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low end G4

I'm looking for recommendations on a low end G4. Also looking to buy one eventually. Does anyone here have one they might want to let go of? I don't know much about Macs. So any recommendations are appreciated. I've been scoping ebay but haven't found anything appealing. Seems like all of them on da bay are monitorless too.
    Some questions are how quiet are they if at all? Does the dual cpu config acutally help OSX like I've recently read?
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Re: Low end G4

They are very quiet,I'm no Mac lover,but I have a g4 and g5 at work,they use internal baffles that keep the noise levels really low.And,yes,dual CPU's run OSX really well.

Comment

i have a dual 500mhz G4 with a gig of RAM and a superdrive, and you couldn't pay me to use a pc. come to where the grass truly is greener; it's money well spent.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I just switched, bought a 17"G4 powerbook and logic7. I haven't had a mac since my se30 and mastertracks pro days.

Comment

I've spent the past couple days perusing lowendmac.com and xlr8yourmac.com. Interesting stuff, although there is a lot of weirdness about some of the products. There seem to be several transitionary models around the end of the G3 and introduction of the G4. Also around the time they debuted the dual processor setups there are several iterations which are close but not quite the same. I've started to narrow the list down to sawtooth(agp) machines and above though. I do want something with enough ponies to record with.
          I found several on ebay with dead firewire ports for a decent price. Are firewire cards available? I'm assuming that would be a pretty expensive repair if no cards are available.

Comment

Hey... I just gave one away. No shit. I am moving up to a g5 so I did not need it anymore. It was a first generation machine so...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Hey... I just gave one away. No shit. I am moving up to a g5 so I did not need it anymore. It was a first generation machine so...

[/ QUOTE ]

agagagaragaghhggarararrrrrr!! don't rub it in! LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Whee! I got one $177 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Now I need a copy of OSX, hehe
                G4 500

Comment

Working...
                X