• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google is bigger than GM

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with one thing: it's certainly a gamble. But it's one that I've just chosen to bet on in a big way -- I start working there on Monday. Now you see why I have to be optimistic?!

Just in case, I'm hedging by making sure to leave my current employer on good terms!

[/ QUOTE ] Just don't bet all your 401K on one horse. "And here comes Google around the turn. It better pay $7.00 to win in '06." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right. All it takes is a stock to miss it's earning estimate by 1 cent and the stock can go in the toilet and sometimes never recover.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ] There are stock jockies out there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I have been investing and/or a stockbroker since 1975. Can well all say
    "Snapple" or "Boston Chicken". How about "Crispy Creme". At least you could drink or eat it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And the bloom came off their roses. My only point is: " Work for them, and do your best. I'm sure it is a great company." But "investors" will drop this stock like a dead cat in your arms if they don't produce stellar earnings. Based on the valuation, that should run until 2025. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Well when you base everything on ad revenues you throw your eggs are in an economy based model. We get hit by another cat 4 or 5 hurricane with our economy so fragile, we could be in a mini- recession. The first thing companies cut back on is advertising dollars. If google doesn't beat the street with flying colors every qtr, they'll tank. If they don't meet estimates for each qtr, their stock will tank further. If that happens there will be a lot of newwe google employees with employee options that will be under water [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It can be great working for a public company and it can suck working for a public company [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Well when you base everything on ad revenues you throw your eggs are in an economy based model. We get hit by another cat 4 or 5 hurricane with our economy so fragile, we could be in a mini- recession. The first thing companies cut back on is advertising dollars. If google doesn't beat the street with flying colors every qtr, they'll tank. If they don't meet estimates for each qtr, their stock will tank further. If that happens there will be a lot of newwe google employees with employee options that will be under water [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It can be great working for a public company and it can suck working for a public company [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] Now, that's a little harsh. Google has nothing to do with the economy. It is the only game in town for investors, sans energy stocks ( and there is another top). As long as the "investor" thinks they "own" the company they will run it up. I was at a brokerage firm when Apple went "public" in 1977?. They offered like XXX shares of stock. Do you know how many shares Jobs and his crew had at pennies per share? XXXXXXXXX!!! Google is the same way. Apple ran up and then fell like a brick. They came back with the Ipod. The Googles is smart, but they better have something tangible or else. (I am not Google bashing, per se. I am not short the stock. And I am pissed that I didn't buy it at $85. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Congratulations. How was the interview process? Wudda been nice to get in there before the IPO : [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Indeed it would have been nice to have been pre IPO. A good friend of mine tried to get me to interview there pre-IPO, but the entire super-geek mentality over there sort of turned me off to the place. A combination of factors made me eventually change my mind, the most important one being a growing dissatisfaction with my current job.

The interview process was actually not nearly as bad as I had heard, but then I'm on the research side of things, not so much engineering. The engineering interviews over there can be pretty intense from what I understand.

Comment

I hope you score bigtime. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll be happy as long as I get to work on some cool stuff and find someone over there to jam with on occasion!

Comment

Working...
              X