Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cycling again.

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys probably haven't even heard of my bike, as it's a Norco Bush Pilot, and I think they are only sold in Canada. It wasn't a super expensive bike to start out with, but I bought it with the intention of eventually replacing everything but the chromoly frame. I don't like aluminum frames because they feel too flexy. So after about $1200 worth of parts, it's a very decent bike, and since I used to be a bike mechanic, it is very well maintained. I originally built the bike for trail riding and hill climbing, but that was 8 years ago, and the current goal is to just increase my cardio level, and restore some of my lost endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I've heard of both Norco AND the Bush Pilot! When I was in college, the shop I worked at was a Norco dealer. Can you imagine trying to sell a Bush Pilot to a bunch of horny frat boys and keep a straight face?! It wasn't easy!

My road bike and single are steel, too. Aluminum is just lots better for building a full-suspension bike, but for hardtails and road bikes steel is the king.

Comment

Mountain Bike Here. Live on a Moutain. K2 Zed X with lots of Mods. Discs all around...etc.

Got in a bad bad accident many years ago so I stopped.

Still have the bike and occasionally go out.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        My god I am dense I seriously thought that this was going to be about steriods.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          You guys probably haven't even heard of my bike, as it's a Norco Bush Pilot, and I think they are only sold in Canada. It wasn't a super expensive bike to start out with, but I bought it with the intention of eventually replacing everything but the chromoly frame. I don't like aluminum frames because they feel too flexy. So after about $1200 worth of parts, it's a very decent bike, and since I used to be a bike mechanic, it is very well maintained. I originally built the bike for trail riding and hill climbing, but that was 8 years ago, and the current goal is to just increase my cardio level, and restore some of my lost endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I've heard of both Norco AND the Bush Pilot! When I was in college, the shop I worked at was a Norco dealer. Can you imagine trying to sell a Bush Pilot to a bunch of horny frat boys and keep a straight face?! It wasn't easy!

My road bike and single are steel, too. Aluminum is just lots better for building a full-suspension bike, but for hardtails and road bikes steel is the king.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty cool that you sold Canadian product!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I've never felt comfortable on a suspension bike. They seem to squirm around too much, and squat under hard pedalling. My road bike was steel too. I had a Benotto that (at the time), was the shit.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

That's pretty cool that you sold Canadian product!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I've never felt comfortable on a suspension bike. They seem to squirm around too much, and squat under hard pedalling. My road bike was steel too. I had a Benotto that (at the time), was the shit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kindly pre-disposed toward things Canadien...ice hockey, Rush, Norco. But not Celine Dione!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              But not Celine Dione!

[/ QUOTE ]

No one could fault you for that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I never heard anybody choose chromemoly over aluminum because the aluminum isn't stiff enough. I feel the complete oposite and I believe that most do. My Trek Y-22 runs Sram 9.0. Its pearl white with a polished aluminum swing arm, Judy XC, Alps 5. There are 2 bikes that still want to get one day. A Softride road bike and one of those old AMP Research Amplifier bikes with that super cool front cantilever shock. Even though my Y-22 has Gripshift on it I prefer Rapid Fire +. Its probably from years in the woods riding a GT Zaskar that had Rapid Fire +. That bike was bad ass. I had a couple of very serious crashes (injuries) in the woods that stopped me from going gonzo downhill and doing the crazy drop outs anymore. I am chicken now and I only do the easy stuff in the woods.

Comment

Hah, maybe my ass is out the window, but I don't like the feel of aluminum bike. I figured it was a stiffness thing, but maybe not. Must be something else.

Comment

JG
                    I have one of these AMP research forks, brand new ready to roll witha new XT head set. Let me know if your interested.

Also if you liked Rapid fire you will LOVE the new STi shifting on the MTBs.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I never heard anybody choose chromemoly over aluminum because the aluminum isn't stiff enough. I feel the complete oposite and I believe that most do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree. I've always thought steel has the smoother ride, and aluminum has the quicker acceleration but rougher ride. I just chalked it up to zeegler describing things differently, maybe not quite getting what he didn't like about the aluminum bike. I do that sort of thing with guitar stuff all the time!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        JG
                        I have one of these AMP research forks, brand new ready to roll witha new XT head set. Let me know if your interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your fork threaded 1" or threadless 1-1/8"?? When you mentioned XT headset I would assume its threadless.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          I never heard anybody choose chromemoly over aluminum because the aluminum isn't stiff enough. I feel the complete oposite and I believe that most do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree. I've always thought steel has the smoother ride, and aluminum has the quicker acceleration but rougher ride. I just chalked it up to zeegler describing things differently, maybe not quite getting what he didn't like about the aluminum bike. I do that sort of thing with guitar stuff all the time!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm usually very careful when choosing descriptive words. Thinking back though, it's probably my perception of what the bike is doing. I suppose if the frame is stiffer, then it is transmitting more of the vibration, and maybe I perceive that as the bike wiggling. I dunno, sounds good to me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm usually very careful when choosing descriptive words. Thinking back though, it's probably my perception of what the bike is doing. I suppose if the frame is stiffer, then it is transmitting more of the vibration, and maybe I perceive that as the bike wiggling. I dunno, sounds good to me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 3 common causes that make a bike wiggle.
                            1. Improper sizing... this causes you to "pogo" which feels like the bike is wiggling.
                            2. Seat stay or chain stay tubes are flexing. This is more common with chromemoly and steel frames.
                            3. Rider weight. Most road and mountain bikes are built for riders under 200lbs. 185lbs is usually the max reccomended on a good road or mountain bike. If your big.. you should be looking at aluminum frames. I have seen many big riders crack chromemoly and titanium frames. They usually crack where the rear chain stays meet the bottom bracket.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              JG

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember, I'll check and get back to you.

Here is a pic of my c40

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                JG

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember, I'll check and get back to you.

Here is a pic of my c40

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice bike bro. REAL nice. Now I know where you got the name Hammer. Makes sense now.

Comment

Working...
                                X