Cycling again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling again.

After deciding I need to get back into shape so that I can run around and play with my son for more than 2 minutes at a time, I got my bike out of the garage this morning and went for a ride. Well, actually, I tried yesterday, but my front tire was flat. I bought a new heavy duty inner tube yesterday, and fixed it. So I went out this morning for 20 minutes, and I am beat. It's going to take a while to work my way up to hour-long rides I think. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyone else ride?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Cycling again.

I am a big time road and mountain bike rider.
    Trek Y-22 loaded to the gills in the woods
    Cannondale R800 on the road
    Haro Extreme Comp for messing around on the sidewalks.

Biking is great excersise. It won't do much for your upper body unless you take it to the woods.
    Take it slow and have fun. When you feel tired.. rest. If your ass hurts today... its normal. After a few rides you will be fine!! Congrats!!! If you have any questions.. let me know. Consider going clipless and always wear a helmet. Ride with traffic.. not against it. Make sure you have reflectors or a light on your bike if you are riding at dusk or night. Make sure you have the proper tire pressure. This will prevent pinch flats.

John G

Comment

Yeah my son wants to start CYO wrestling ..he's a big boy for 10 years old..120lbs..he's strong but he needs to get his wind up ..he a has a bit of athsma..

so I'm going to start walking fast and he can jog along with me..I can use the execercize myself anyway , and FALL is the perfect time for me..Summer is too fuggin' HOT..I don't leave my house of air conditioned Solitude in the Summer..no way ..I'll melt! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I ride a fair amount, although nothing much from August on this year [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (baby arrived) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Ah well. Ride trails if you really want to pound yourself into shape. Roots and rocks with a lot of up and downhill will do it. It takes a while to build the endurance to ride trails hard, a year or two usually, including keeping up in the winter with skating or treadmill, if its too snowy. Start by riding every second or third day, and build your times up slowly, no matter where you ride (road or trail), you will make better progress this way.

jgcable - thats a sweet pair of rides you have there, big time sweet. Right now I'm riding a Rocky Mountain Vertex 50.

Comment

I ride a bit. Out here in AZ we can ride year round and there are plenty of trails to tear it up on! I even ride to work each day, 1/2 way through the mountains, 1/2 way on the road. Definitely a good workout!

Kona Dawg Dee-Lux...

Comment

I used to ride a lot. I've got a GT Aggressor that, sadly, right now is sitting in storage. I do plan to get out more next year (I said that last year) now that I'm working out more.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

I raced mountain bikes through the 90's but now I like Budweiser too much to race. Plus I have 4 kids and play in a band, but I digress.

I have 2 sweet Cannondale F-series mountain bikes that I still ride now and then. One of my best friends on earth is the marketing/PR/race manager for Cannondale in Europe, what a cool f-ing job.

Congrats on starting to ride again Zeegler. Keep it up, it's good for your mental and phsyical health. And if you're like me, it gives you an excuse to drink more beer.

Comment

Santa Cruz Heckeler Superlight for a couple of years...I miss my bike!

Comment

Dean Ti frame I built from the ground up. Rock Shox Judy, XT some chi chi stuff.

Stock Bianchi Veloce.

Both are 9 years old and probably been sitting 5 years un touched. Really is a shame.

I ran a bike shop from 1995 to 1998. Working at your hobby can really burn you out on it. Two benefits were, I could buy nice stuff below wholesale and learned how to wrench my own stuff.
                  "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

My god I am dense I seriously thought that this was going to be about steriods.
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

This is my sport !!

Been road and mtb racing for years. Bikes and guitars are my GAS vices.

For pure cartio development hit the road and ride LSD ( long slow didtance) to start with. By long I mean if 15 miles is a decent ride, go slower and go 20-25. I love MTB riding but it is much harder to build your endurance base in the woods. I can explain why if needed.

LSD rides burns fat and get the base built for the fun stuff down the road. Plus by not stopping to shoot the sh*t or catch your breath you body really soaks up the cardio and preps for longer sustained efforts.

I'm currently riding

Giant TCR for the road and crits -- Record and FSA group
                      Cannondale Caad 8 for training -- same parts
                      Colnago C40 for training -same parts
                      Giant NS-Air carbon for the off-road stuff -- XTR/STI
                      Giant TT bike

Can you guess who sponsors our team from he bikes above [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep.

Santa Cruz Superlight for the mountain, Lemond Zurich for the road. But I have been riding my FrankenSingleSpeed most recently. It makes everything a bit harder and more interesting. Not necessarily more fun!

Comment

You guys probably haven't even heard of my bike, as it's a Norco Bush Pilot, and I think they are only sold in Canada. It wasn't a super expensive bike to start out with, but I bought it with the intention of eventually replacing everything but the chromoly frame. I don't like aluminum frames because they feel too flexy. So after about $1200 worth of parts, it's a very decent bike, and since I used to be a bike mechanic, it is very well maintained. I originally built the bike for trail riding and hill climbing, but that was 8 years ago, and the current goal is to just increase my cardio level, and restore some of my lost endurance.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Norco has really burly bikes. I am 6'2", 325# and was looking at their bikes, but your right they are hard to find state side. I toodle around the hood on an oldschool GT BMX cruiser that has 24" wheels, but want a mt. bike.

Comment

i have the greatest bicycle ever assembled on the planet. what a fukkin' riot it is to ride it and you get a lot of cat calls too. it's on CC somewhere in the non related section, i'll try and get a pic. nothing comes close.
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                              X