Question about purchasing a new vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about purchasing a new vehicle

Glad to hear the house is working sans the lack of acoustics. Looks like you got your internet up and running.

I will let everyone know how the vehicle deal works out either later tonight or tomorrow morning sometime.

GMS
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Though I have no substantial advice to offer, I want to take this chance to point out the similarities in our avatar.

Comment

haha yes sir. Bender is awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

"Bite my shiny metal ass"
        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          but she needed something better on gas, with a good warranty that would run a bit longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Said above vehicle wouldn't be an Exploder. Total new gear train for Exploders again in '02, and once again Ford has managed to shoot themselves in the foot. Granted nothing else domestic is as reliable either. If you buy anything domestic, buy a QUALITY extended warranty that will take you until at least 80,000 miles. Trust me, you'll get your money back in the long run.

In my personal ( and professional ) opinion ( Keep in mind that I've only been selling transmissions and other driveline repairs for eight years ), you can't go wrong with a Nissan or Toyota. If you need an SUV, find your nearest Nissan dealer for an Xterra.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I say keep both the - Elantra = fuel economy and haul family, F150 = tow boat and other stuff you will need for a new house (I know - just bought a new house myself).

Sell the Stratus (hopefully you can make enough to pay off the loan) and do not got into any more new debt, or you will have a hard time qualifying for a home loan. Even if you can't sell for enough to pay off the loan, consider how much you will save on insurance for a car not being driven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really great advice Don!

Comment

Razor,

I wish you were closer to Cinci. My 1970 Challenger radiator took a crap where the water and ATF are separated. Radiator fluid and ATF don't mix, so now I need a new radiator, but if I didn't drive the tranny, can I flush it and reload with ATF, or will it need to be rebuilt because of radiator fluid being pumped through it? If I start her up, crap starts pouring out of the bell housing (water / radiator fluid mixed, overloads the torque converter seals...). help!

Comment

Dude, if it's pumping tranny fluid out the bellhousing, then you're better off getting the tranny gone through. Does the tranny fluid look like a pink milkshake? If you weren't leaking fluid out the converter seal I would say try a flush, especially if you hadn't run it very far. Since you've got a leak out the front, IMHO it's tranny time. That's the bad news. Good news is that your tranny (should be a A727) is straight forward to build, and it is reasonably cheap to build on the parts and labor cost side.

metaljunkie, you can chime in any time. I sell 'em, he builds 'em.

Comment

Mine is actually a 904 behind a stout 360. Yep, pink/rusty milk shake with slimey clear stuff from ATF mixing with brand new Prestone coolant. It's pouring out because the tranny pump is sucking the radiator fluid into the tranny, overflowing the tranny with fluid and the pressure from the TC spining is forcing it out (me thinks). It didn't leak before the "accident".

As I said before - wish you guys were closer. I'd haul it over to you.

Comment

Well, I figured it would be a 360 and assumed it would have a 727 behind it. A904 and 727's vent out the pump/front not out of the top like Fords and GMs, so if it's dumping that much water in the tranny it makes sense for it to vent. Try a flush especially if it hasn't been run a lot since this happened, may even have to flush two or three times. Sometimes you can catch it before it starts taking the clutch friction material off the plates.

Comment

The transmission vent is located on the top of the pump inside the bellhouseing. It is possible that the fluid is overfull due to the added antifreeze and causeing it to vent out of the vent.

Comment

I have seen turbo 350s sucked full of mud/water before and after being flushed a couple of times by draining the fluid and refilling at home, work just fine. If your transmission is over full I would consider having a shop with a good flushing machine flush it. The life of the transmission has definetly been compromised, but it might last for awhile.

Comment

Antifreeze destroys the bonding agent on the frictions (clutches), once it is circulated through the trans (milkshake land), it's just a matter of time before it's over.

I manage a shop, sell and do diagnostics on them!

Lotsa trans guys here!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            milkshake land

[/ QUOTE ] Now that's an industry term! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Put the Stratus on eBay Motors and set the reserve for the minimum amount you would be comfortable selling for. You may get a quicker sale at a price you can live with to part company.

Get rid of the gas guzzler truck, replace it with a vehicle brand that takes less of a bath in depreciation cost and has reasonable operating cost (gas, insurance, best warranty, etc.) Toyota and Honda are bread & butter brands with excellent value per dollars spent. You can strike a balance between wants and needs based on what I'm saying here. Reduce your financial pressures, cut the fat, sell off material stuff that can be replaced (accumulated stuff of value you're not really using). Material stuff comes and goes. You'll sleep better. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

GMS,

Sorry for getting off topic there, but what happened?!?!? What did you decide?

I'm going to start repairing the chip in the body tonight.

Don

Comment

Working...
                                X