Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: so we were discussing the 80\'s metal highest v

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe you should have called the thread, "80's Metal singers we actually have heard of/heard with the highest voice." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      aslo beware of any Glen Hues and Joe lyn Turner solo discs.. chances are they will make want get in touch with your feminine side.. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, don't be rippin' on Glenn Hughes, now. I love his solo music, though I'll be the first to say that it's NOT metal. Sort of a funk/soul/hard rock mix, but awesome stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        the guy from steelheart is the one who sang a bunch of the steel dragon tunes in rockstar...d.m.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff Scott Soto (ex-yngwie singer) sang all of the songs in the movie [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.jeffscottsoto.com/jss/jss_bio.htm

go to about middle of the page and it'll tell ya. Here's a quote:

"Most of 1999 and 2000 was spent doing odd sessions here and there. Jeff recorded contributions for tributes to both Van Halen and Ozzy. He laid down lead vocals for the fictional band Steel Dragon for the film ‘Rock Star’. The fictional band was fleshed out by non-fictional musicians Jason Bonham (Bonham), Jeff Pilson (Dokken) and Zakk Wylde (Ozzy), the latter with whom Jeff recorded a series of demos that, as of this writing, have yet to see the light of day"

But I can understand the confusion. I thought it was the steelheart guy when I saw the movie.

p.s. since we're on the movie rockstar. Here's something I learned awhile back. Alot of you probably know but for those that dont. The guy at the end of the movie that marky mark ( [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) brings up on stage is the singer for Alter Bridge. Just a little trivia for ya [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true bro. Mike sang We all Die Young in the movie. The song is even on their 3rd CD. He also did Stand Up and Shout and he vocal coached Mark throughout the shooting of the movie.

Comment

In terms of voices that didn't sound like crap in the upper register, I'll always have to go with Geoff Tate in the EP/The Warning days--his voice was awesome, with a lot of power and purity when he hit those high notes. Which is scary, since his speaking voice is lower than mine.

I hadn't heard Warrel's old Sanctuary stuff before now. Wow, doesn't even sound like the same guy as now. Have to say, though, I prefer what he does now. He did have a very high and strong falsetto, but more shrieking and annoying than Tate in his prime.

As far as Jim Gillette, it's hard to say--Nitro's music was so bad that it's difficult to evaluate.

Comment

Re: so we were discussing the 80\'s metal highest voice

[ QUOTE ]
            the guy from steelheart is the one who sang a bunch of the steel dragon tunes in rockstar...d.m.

[/ QUOTE ]

No shit?, some of those were killer tunes!
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              aslo beware of any Glen Hues and Joe lyn Turner solo discs.. chances are they will make want get in touch with your feminine side.. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, don't be rippin' on Glenn Hughes, now. I love his solo music, though I'll be the first to say that it's NOT metal. Sort of a funk/soul/hard rock mix, but awesome stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

I love HTP albums, Hughes made an awsome track with John Sykes
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Lizzy Borden
                Jon Oliva

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  John Scott Soto

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Not to pick nits, but it's Jeff Scott Soto. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I hadn't heard Warrel's old Sanctuary stuff before now. Wow, doesn't even sound like the same guy as now. Have to say, though, I prefer what he does now. He did have a very high and strong falsetto, but more shrieking and annoying than Tate in his prime.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I loved Warrel's old style, as well as his new style. I'm pretty sure he can still hit the high notes, he just chooses not to, like many of the other '80s singers who also choose not to... like Geoff Tate, Ray Alder, Eric Knutson, etc.

Comment

Jeff scott Soto sang -stand up and shout(a sammy hagar song), blood pollution, livin the life

Steelheart GUY- we all die young, stand up and shout in the movie(not on the soundtrack though) ect

They split the vocals
                      Jeff was the original singers voice, Mike was marky marks, although "some" of the vocals were Wahlbergs mixed with mikes.So obvioulsy some of the songs had to be sung by both guys to go along with the movie,

WhaT I want to hear are the songs that didnt make the soundtrack or movie. I asked Jeff in april and he told me atleast 3-4 songs he sang on didnt make it, and he believed there probably 8-10 altogether that were recorded but not used.There was a guy on ebay that had them , but he got shut down quick.Some of the songs were written by Zakk Wylde(including the one where marky mark starts rapping in the studio) and that muscle guy from alice coopers band.Yeah, i know way too much, thanks for noticing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I think I've got an MP3 of a Zakk song that didn't make the movie. Got it from his site a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

cool.

Comment

TWhat havent you ever heard of John being a nickname for Jeff?.. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL No. Jack is a nickname for John, though. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

You guys gotta here Dan Swano, Mike Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren rocking otu in their side project STEEL!

Dan sings...fucking high! It's hilarious. I'll upload a song when I get home from work. (on lunch break right now)

Comment

Working...
                                X