My Dog's Final Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Dog\'s Final Days

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Nothing else you can really do. You just have to figure he's 11 now and had a good life. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've had to put several dogs to sleep over the years and it's never easy. After all, they love their masters unconditionally and they're always there when you're feeling down.

It's not a very "manly" thing to do, but the last few times I've put dogs to sleep, I took a long drive in the country and if the moment called for a good cry, I let'r rip. Best wishes!

Mr G
      "POOP"

Comment

Crying over anything or anyone that you love is a normal human emotion..its healthy. That happens for a reason..we all do it ..all us us.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Rupe,
          Yes, I went through this on a weekly basis and it never ever was easy. I'm a Vet tech and was always present for the euthanasias and did the counseling and preparations. It was always always heartbreaking.
          I lost my cat to cancer and rather than have him continue to suffer he was also euthanized. It was the hardest the day he died, but the days afterwards it got easier and I was happier knowing that Feather wasn't in pain anymore. I still miss him today.
          I found comfort knowing that he passed on quickly and comfortably and with dignity.
          I am so sad to hear of this, I really am. I wish I had some words of comfort for you. Just hold him and tell him you love him and try to find comfort in the memories you share together. You are a good friend.

Hugs,
          Em

Comment

So sorry... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Be strong.

Comment

Rupe,so sorry to hear,been there several times bro,never easy & nothing anyone can say will make it any easier!!
              Be there for him,tell him he's a good boy & you love him & know that you are doing the right thing....he'll always be with you,you'll always be with him....thoughts & prayers bro!!

Comment

I'm positive he had the greatest life with people he loved and with people that obviously loved him. A dog could want for nothing more, and of course deserves nothing less.

Something to read...

"I STOOD BESIDE YOUR BED LAST NIGHT"
                --Author unknown

I stood beside your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
                I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep. I whined to you so softly as you brushed away a tear, "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea, You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me. I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore. I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more. I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care. I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there. I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key. I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It's me." You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair. I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday. To say to you with certainty, "I never went away." You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew ... In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning And say "goodnight, and blessed be, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide, I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side. I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see. Be patient, live your journey out ... then come home to be with me.

__________________________________________________ __________

You'll truly be in my thoughts when you have to part ways with him. So sorry you will have to feel this pain over your friend.

Blessed be.

Comment

Rupe,

I am sooooo sorry bro!!! I had my kitten put to sleep 2 years ago because my moms dog stepped on its head and caused severe brain damage [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I held little Gizmo in my hands while the nurses put him to sleep. I remember feeling so helpless and angry that I couldn't do anything to save his life and had to be euthanized! I was ok right after he stopped breathing, but then they let me and my mom into one of the rooms to have a couple of moments with him before he would be sent of to be cremated and I just totally lost it. This wave of sadness came crashing over me and I cried the hardest in all my life for at least 30 minutes in that room! There is NO way to keep yourself from crying!! Just let out your emotions and you will feel a lot better!
                  And now my dog has been having seizures and is on phenobarbitol (a heavy narcotic) that has been keeping them from occuring. So he is isn't suffering right now! But it is only a matter of time that whatever is wrong with him is gonna be too strong for the meds and his body to handle. I am dreading that day for sure!!

My heart goes out to you bro and this is gonna suck hard, but it will get better over time! Just keep your head up and know he will always be with you!!!! Good luck tomorrow and we will always be here for you bro!! Give Lambert a big hug for me!!!!

Jeremy

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that Rupe [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Dogs become more than just pets, they are just like family members and they can't be replaced. You are doing the best thing, I know its hard to do but it has to be so. You'll remember him for the rest of your life, your buddy Lambert will never forget you either...
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks again...you folks are all killing me with your kindness and caring. I feel fortunate to belong to a community like this. Her's to all of your warm thoughts and wishes [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

John, that poem was awesome and really touched me...thanks bro...thanks eveyone. Lambert is sleeping right now so I'll leave him to his peace and quiet for awhile...then its a ribeye for him for dinner.

Comment

Working...
                      X