Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official 2005-2006 NHL Season thread

[ QUOTE ]
    If they call the game "by the book", you can pretty much forget about playing defense, or watching 5 on 5 hockey. I was watching the hawks/oilers the other night, hawks had 9(!) penalties in the first period, 4 of which were actually deserved. Honestly, if the new rules continue next year, I am done with hockey. With no hitting, fighting, or physical play, and with 5 seconds of 5 on 5 followed by 20 minutes of powerplays, it is boring as fuck, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

As with any major rule overhaul, I think they tend to err on the side of caution at first and then work their way back. Recall the crease infraction change a few years ago- at first it was all goals disallowed when even so much as a toe was in the crease, even if it was behind the goalie and he wasn't aware of anyone being there. After that fiasco, and the Stanley Cup goal by Hull, they've move the rules back to a more reasonable place. I think you'll see the same thing with the current situation. Before too long, I think they'll start allowing more contact with the puck carrier but still crack down on the off-play obstructions. I would 100% agree with this change- most of the problem before was the behind the play stuff, not allowing open players to move around, etc. Watch for this to happen.

Comment

Here come my Bolts!! Out of their funk, watch out.

Shawn
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Anyone see what Yzerman had to say on espn about the "new" nhl? He thinks it's a joke.
        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

no but when Stevie Y speakes...the league should listen intently
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well, I have the utmost respect for Stevie Y, however, I gotta think that the game has passed him by, literally. Its a speed game at this point, with IMHO still plenty of hitting, just none of the clutch and grab nonsense.

I for one, a guy who has played and watched the game for 30 years, think the new NHL is absolutely awesome. I think Yzermans comments sound like sour grapes. The old guard , like Yzerman, Leclair, Hatcher,etc just cant keep up speedwise. The older guys who still can skate, like Jagr, Sundin, et al, have no problem with it.

The trap ruined this fukkin game, and teams like my Bolts showed that the game can be played differently, and be a hell of alot more entertaining.

If you didnt enjoy watching the Lightning and the Flames 2 years ago in the finals, then you dont like real hockey. I feel sorry for Steve Yzerman, one of the greatest ice leaders to ever strap em on, but his time has passed.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I can understand that Shawn, I don't think the older guys are complaining about it being a speedier game. Everyone enjoys a skilled game. From what I can tell its the bullshit calls that are not being called consistently. I agree when the flow the game is going and there are continuous action it is great but when it turns into a special teams game it sucks ass from both a players perspective and the fans.

One of the best games I've seen so far this year has been a Toronto vs. Montreal in Montreal a couple weeks ago. That game was called right, the refs let them play, called neutral zone interference when it happened but not the minor ticky-tack stuff where there is virtually little or no slowed impedance. That game has continuous play with little or no whistles for 7-8 minutes at a time...great game.

I think part of the problem is players taking advantage of the rule and falling like a ton of bricks when they barely get touched. If players are really that weak they shouldn't be in the NHL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think they need to start calling the dives and flops but instead of taking both players, take only the guy diving. That would eliminate that part of it. btw...I'm a player too, from Michigan and played Detroit area leagues since I was 6. In midget and juniors I was 5'10 175 and was a skilled player with an attitude and no fear, I'd be embarrassed to show that kind of weakness as player. I paid the price and have the scares to prove it but now wussies get free rides and that isnt good for the game imho.

They also need to let the defense play defense and clear traffic in front of the net and protect their netminders. You used to have to have some balls to stand next to the paint, not anymore, may as well change uniforms to what female figure skaters wear....
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I agree with everything you said. The diving really pisses me off, maybe more than anything you could do on that ice.

Maybe the players will handle that themselves, I would hope so.

Shawn
                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

get rid of the instigator rule, and all will be well..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I agree with everything you said. The diving really pisses me off, maybe more than anything you could do on that ice.

Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

+2

They should get 10 minutes for bad acting!
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

• Re: The Official 2005-2006 NHL Season thread

[ QUOTE ]
                      I can understand that Shawn, I don't think the older guys are complaining about it being a speedier game. Everyone enjoys a skilled game. From what I can tell its the bullshit calls that are not being called consistently. I agree when the flow the game is going and there are continuous action it is great but when it turns into a special teams game it sucks ass from both a players perspective and the fans.

One of the best games I've seen so far this year has been a Toronto vs. Montreal in Montreal a couple weeks ago. That game was called right, the refs let them play, called neutral zone interference when it happened but not the minor ticky-tack stuff where there is virtually little or no slowed impedance. That game has continuous play with little or no whistles for 7-8 minutes at a time...great game.

I think part of the problem is players taking advantage of the rule and falling like a ton of bricks when they barely get touched. If players are really that weak they shouldn't be in the NHL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think they need to start calling the dives and flops but instead of taking both players, take only the guy diving. That would eliminate that part of it. btw...I'm a player too, from Michigan and played Detroit area leagues since I was 6. In midget and juniors I was 5'10 175 and was a skilled player with an attitude and no fear, I'd be embarrassed to show that kind of weakness as player. I paid the price and have the scares to prove it but now wussies get free rides and that isnt good for the game imho.

They also need to let the defense play defense and clear traffic in front of the net and protect their netminders. You used to have to have some balls to stand next to the paint, not anymore, may as well change uniforms to what female figure skaters wear....

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] excellent post. And shawn (the other one)- I thoroughly enjoyed the bolts run 2 years ago. That was an excellent round of playoff games. But-- both of those teams got to the finals playing tough defense. That ain't gonna happen this year. I'm picturing teams like detroit or ottawa in the finals.

Comment

<font color="red">I've seen a few great games....of course none of them were Bruins games!! </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]Diving will only get worse this year, and the players can't take care of it, for fear of getting an instigator penalty. Avery the other night was a perfect example. Hockey is getting almost unwatchable for me anymore, and I have been a diehard fan for over a decade. On the plus side, some of the stars of the league have come out saying the new nhl pretty much sucks. Scott thornton, lecavalier, yzerman. But Bettman is too much of an idiot to listen. last week he said "the new rules are working. scoring is up, and fighting is down." Good job pussyfying the "new" nhl. Nice that guys can cheap shot and hide behind the instigator rule, too bettman. You fucking idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

just had to get the nhl thread bigger than the nfl thread [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                            Amp... Pioneer
                            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

this just in...

thornton is a shark [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

trade
                              Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                              Amp... Pioneer
                              Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Just saw that on Sports Center. What a bad trade for Boston. The Sharks raped the Bruins.
                                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X