Hate yer job thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hate yer job thread?

Nope, interesting work in an interesting environment. Generally have multiple projects going at once, so there is alot to get into. Boss's are cool and I have a sizeable bit of autonomy. More money would be great but at least I get paid for my overtime.
    "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

No, I actually like my job I just hate all the political bullshit but that is everywhere. I'm a straigth up guy who can spot bullshit a mile away. I will not pretend to like someone if I don't like them. I refuse to kiss ass and hate when people kiss mine.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I really shouldn't complain. I have friends in the industry that are laid off and the only jobs available don't pay squat but yet they expect you to support everything... Job descriptions that go something like this: "The ideal condidate must love to work in difficult, stressful conditions. Candidate must be available nights, weekends, etc..., and pay that is 30% lower than it was four years ago". Ouch!

I've missed the "cut" thus far, but you never know. They are bringing more work in and planning to lay off more staff. It's not a money issue... the suits get nice promotions and raises constantly. The tech guys that "stir the drink" so to speak get treated like crap.

Get this... because of the influx of work and the high stress nature of it, TWO people that I work with had heart attacks during major projects. Nice huh?

Then again, I sit here complaining while surfing the JCF on the clock... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I am in IT and sucks. You gotta love working in an environment were everything is critical and has to be done right now. On top of that, even if you're good you still get treated like a dog. I'd advise against anyone thinking of going into IT, unless you are allowed to specialize in one area. At my company, we are expected to know every aspect of things, and they are always implementing new technology. Of course I'm call 24/7 too. Do you think that if you are on vacation they would leave you alone? Nope. What about being home sick? Not a chance.

Wwwwhhhhhaaaaaa!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Okay that's enough whining. Back to our regularly scheduled topic. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's my job in a nutshell. Maybe looking to move to a better paying company. I need to update my resume.
          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

i'm a cook at a local resturant, not burger joint. i like my job. i'm going to be working a second job in the bakery at publix too. i guess i like food, haha. but when i get older, i'd love to go to school and make a carrer out of playing guitar somehow!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Then again, I sit here complaining while surfing the JCF on the clock... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! Two down with heart attacks? Wow. I used to give a flying fuck, but not any more. I'm just here to ride this horse out until it dies, then move on to the next one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Wow. I used to give a flying fuck, but not any more. I'm just here to ride this horse out until it dies, then move on to the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]
                + 1
                -Rick

Comment

I work in the software industry - my job has lots of pressure, lots of challenges, and all the normal stuff that comes with working at a huge company. This is the best job I've ever had though. But if I were to win the lottery or even less likely I become a famous rockstar I wouldn't miss my job.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I must admit I hate the idea of getting up early and going to work each day, luckily most of my career I was involved in the building industry and I always enjoyed the sense of accomplishment and pride I had in my finished products. for the last 17 years (since I was thirty) I bought this cattle ranch and work for myself, (much harder than I ever did when I was employed) and manage to squeak out a living raising cattle and doing small construction jobs on the side. no health plan, no retirement, but lots of time to play guitar and the neighbors are 1/4 mile away, All in all its a pretty sweet deal.
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I actually love my job. I travel around the world, hanging out on Navy ships, training sailors. I tote my Charvel around with me, get my own cabin, come out when I want to make sure all is going well or I can go back to my cabin, kick my shoes off, hook up the Charvel and play away. My wife goes along with me, well, because she's the boss (in more ways than one [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]). She's the director of operations, so guess who sets the schedule [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        Hate No...

Kinda want something else though

[/ QUOTE ]

took the words right out of my mouth bro. I graduated in may with a information tech degree and im still stuck doing banking. Trying to move within Regions Bank, into their IT dept. but they have put a hold on all tranfers/hires while the whole union planters/Regions conversion is final (which will be in december). Hell, even then, no guarantees. So im with Drs. I don't hate my job, just tired of it. Been doing it for 6 years now and I can do it in my sleep. Quite bored of it and wanna get started at what I like to do. My time is coming, currently looking elsewhere even though I don't wanna do that. 6 years with a solid company, hard to look elsewhere but I'm against the wall here. Things will work out, They always do [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you provide some more details on what your skills are and what direction you are headed in the IT world?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure bro. I gradutated on the dean's list for information technology Communications Concentrated. I'm into the network side of things. Servers, routers, switches sort of thing. Take Regions bank for instance. My best friend graduated a year before me and is currently working for the IT dept at Regions. His job consists of monitoring the ENTIRE network of the bank. If an atm goes down, its his resposiblity to get it back up. If he can't he calls support which in turn have to make a trip to the atm to find out the problem. Take a hospital for instance. A normal hosiptal has ONE FREAKING HUGE NETWORK to maintain. If one office's network is interrupted, patients can't be seen. Appointments can't be kept. Payment records are fucked. That hospital, for every hour the network is down, will lose BIG. Just like the bank. If the netowrk is down, business can't continue and the bank LOSES SHYT LOADS OF MONEY. So to narrow the IT down, for me, a bit......Im into the network side rather than the hardware/software side. I tried programming like c++ in one class, made a C- in that class. Im not a programmer. I can build a pc anyday of the week but I find it kinda boring. I love the network aspect of it. Its what keeps business' alive [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] And if you keep the business alive, there's alot of money to be made [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

i hated my job so much i told them to shove it recently [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                          X