Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting an apartment?

Ok everybody, I need some advice.

I'm about to start my quest to find an apartment in Los Angeles. I'm a college student at the University of Southern California. I've never lived off campus before, but now because of housing resources I have to.

So I've never been through the process of finding a place, signing a contract and what not.

Can someone give me some tips on where to begin? I've basically just been looking on craigs list for places near USC like Koreatown. At most I could spend about 1200 a month, but again, I don't mind living in a tiny craphole, so I'd rather live in some place cheaper. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Can someone give me a crash course in how to get the best deal / not get boned while renting an apartment? Also, if anyone has any tips on living in LA, I'd love to hear them!

Re: Renting an apartment?

All I have to say is, I'm glad I live in Ohio! You are willing to pay almost double a month what my mortgage on my house is. I have an Aunt and an Uncle that live in Yorba Linda and are selling their house, I think she said it is 700 sq. ft. and they are asking $375,000! The house in Dayton, OH would be worth $90,000.
    Good luck bro. Don't settle for the first apartment you see, look at a lot and ask around and make sure you have good neighbors. As far as paper work goes, the managers will help you with that.

Comment

They will probably want to run a credit check. You could get your parents to co-sign the lease. Be prepared to stay for the term of the lease. Try to get month-to-month, if you can. And, check out the 'hood for a few days and at different times to make sure that the gunfire is limited to decent hours and you don't live on a dragstrip. USC Housing guys should have some tips for you. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Tell me about it, my cousins in Wisconson paid about $90,000 for a 3 story house with a huge cellar. If they were to buy that in California, it would easily have been a multi-million dollar home.

I'm looking for a month to month, but I have a feeling that I'll be a luck bastard if I can land one in LA.

Comment

LOL! ex-Californian here. Sold my 40 year old 800 sq. ft. 2 bedroom "condo" with one car port and bought a brand new 5 bedroom, 3,000 sq. ft. house (not counting the basement), 3 car oversized garage, upgraded everything, 1/2 acre for the same price out here in OH.

I actually left CA in 1997, but held the condo as a rental until now. Cashed in my chips LOL!

I could have rented to you - my sister went to USC from Diamond Bar, but it would be a drive.

Comment

That is one hell of a drive. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Not really - 40 miles one way? I used to drive to Torrance for work, down the "fun" 91. It's probably a million times worse because that was back in 1995.

You know what? I don't miss CA one bit. All of my family is still there (another good reason not to live there LOL!). It was great growing up there, but it's not a good place to work, live or raise a family.

Comment

Ehh, 40 miles, with traffic, seems like death to me.

Comment

LA home prices are the biggest joke in the nation right now,have you considered renting a room in someones house? When I first moved here I was able to find a backhouse for rent from a homeowner;private entry,2 rooms,bath and kitchen for a heck of a lot cheaper than an apartment even smaller than that would cost.

There are lots of them on craigslist,under rooms/shared.Might be an easier/cheaper/saner idea if you can find the right place.

Comment

Actually I think Florida is the worst right now, worse than California. The East coast cities ain't to pretty. Actually my Neighborhood has turned into 1 mil houses for no reason.
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      LA home prices are the biggest joke in the nation right now,have you considered renting a room in someones house? When I first moved here I was able to find a backhouse for rent from a homeowner;private entry,2 rooms,bath and kitchen for a heck of a lot cheaper than an apartment even smaller than that would cost.

There are lots of them on craigslist,under rooms/shared.Might be an easier/cheaper/saner idea if you can find the right place.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! share a house with a couple of naked hotties! Kinda "hard" to study, however.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Actually I think Florida is the worst right now, worse than California. The East coast cities ain't to pretty. Actually my Neighborhood has turned into 1 mil houses for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to sure about the east coast,but here's a story from today about Cali - Record low for home affordability in California

Comment

The kid ain't buying no house. He needs to make sure he has all the money to get in. Once he has cruised the hood, then he has to walk around the complex and see who lives there. Are there coeds or exfeds? Are there a bunch of kids that would kill him for his sneakers? Does the manager carry a gun? Is there" snow" on the driveway? Are the only needles in the pine trees? Little things, like that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh dude, you should have posted this last week. I had a nice studio apartment for rent in Downey, 1 car garage , $450 all utilities. Catch the 105w to 110N to USC. Not too far from my work, takes about 15-20 mintues to get there in the morning(of course thats at 5:30) about 30 mintues ride home in the afternoon.
                            Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Oh dude, you should have posted this last week. I had a nice studio apartment for rent in Downey, 1 car garage , $450 all utilities. Catch the 105w to 110N to USC. Not too far from my work, takes about 15-20 mintues to get there in the morning(of course thats at 5:30) about 30 mintues ride home in the afternoon.

[/ QUOTE ] Throw the bum out!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X