Renting an apartment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Renting an apartment?

Boo! Yeah I'm just hoping to get as close as possible. I think my main question is, is there anything to look out for when stepping into a lease on an apartment? I'm just trying not to get boned.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Tell me about it, my cousins in Wisconson paid about $90,000 for a 3 story house with a huge cellar. If they were to buy that in California, it would easily have been a multi-million dollar home.

I'm looking for a month to month, but I have a feeling that I'll be a luck bastard if I can land one in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? $90,000 for that? The houses in my area are like 220 to start, and million dollar homes when I go a few blocks down. Jeez...that price is freakin awsome

Comment

Ok, I went through the same deal here in NY, and seeing even rent is freakin high here too, here's what I know.

- Look around a lot! You''ll definatly find a great deal if you do yer homework and do some searchin rather than going for the first cple things ya see

- Make sure the place is good. A lot of landlords that rent to students in some places won't fix anything because kids are less likely to complain about things, but ya dont wanna be stuck in a shithole. If you look around, you'll find a balance.

- Check local papers, internet sites and ask around, ya might get lucky.

- Your parents as co-signers is a good idea. That'll definatly help you get the place, especially if you don't have a lot of credit.

- Good luck man... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Boo! Yeah I'm just hoping to get as close as possible. I think my main question is, is there anything to look out for when stepping into a lease on an apartment? I'm just trying not to get boned.

[/ QUOTE ] Make sure that you have the bucks. Look at what it takes for either side to break the lease. If you get a 2 bedroom, can you rent out the other room? Does the mate have to be on the lease? And make sure that if the mate moves out you can still cover the cost. I have watched enough of "People's Court" to know that it is best to see the pits before you fall into them. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Alex, I'd recommend to look for a place in Palms(Overland/Palms) so you take 10freeway or venice Blvd. to go to school or in Gardena. You take 110 north to go to School.
            Both about 15mins driving if no traffic jam.
            I used to pay about $600/m.

You can find apartments by checking Recycler or simply drive around the area and find "Rent"sign.

Comment

USC is surrounded by dangerous unsavory elements. Transfer to UCLA and rent in Westwood. Yeah, its more $ for rent, but you can hook up with some pre-med or "serious type" students. You can split costs and you'll still be around after you graduate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Good luck.

Comment

Too late in the game now to transfer, but I'm considering UCLA for law school so you never know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

And Toru, I will certainly look into that. It sounds pretty good compared to ~1000 m/o for Koreatown.

Comment

Hey dude, move in to my craphole! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tiny house, but I only charge $350
                    North OC, lot better neighborhood than South Central LA there.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                    X