Let's have a serious discussion about TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's have a serious discussion about TVs

I have done some research, and I ended up buying a 52" Toshiba DLP. They cost substantially less than a Plasma or standard LCD. The picture quality on the good ones is approaching plasma territory yet they are far more reliable, and less susceptible to failure.

What do you guys have, or want, and why?

Here's a pic of what I got:

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Let\'s have a serious discussion about TVs

I have decided to buy myself a nice 32" plasma when the price go down enough.

Have you experienced any problems with viewing-angles on your back-projection tv?
    For example, does it make a difference if you sit down in your sofa while watching, or if you stand up?

Comment

I have an older (2002 model) 50" Toshiba HD projection TV and haven't found any real bad viewing angle, sitting or standing.
      I mean, if you're standing right in front of it, you will get a bit of a rainbow, but it's not like you would watch TV that way for more than a few seconds anyway.

EDIT: Oh and Zeegler... NICE TV!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      -Rick

Comment

I went with DLP also. I got mine ( Samsung 52inch) last year so it's 720P, the new DLP chips are 1080p, but currently there is nothing broadcast in that resolution. I used to have an RCA 38 inch Directview HD, big and heavy tube tv. That was 1080i. I chose DLP for the picture quality I have Direct TV and live in L.A. so almost all of primetime on everychannel is HiDef now, and the long life of the system. No burn in problem, if bulb goes out after 5000+ hours, you can change em yourself for like $200. Plasmas I think have been overtaken by LCD and DLP. True the black on plasma is superior, but for that you pay with weight and less longetivity of the system. I was at Best Buy the other day and was shocked to see nice mid level plasma tv (50 inchers) hovering around in the 3-4K range. Just a few years ago those were all 12k plus sets. As for viewing angle< i wouldn't lay down in front of the set to look up and watch, but everything within a normal viewing angle is fine. Also remember not to judge a t.v. on what it looks like at the store, half the time those sets are so jacked with, the pictures are all out of whack. They only calibrate the expensive stuff to make it look good.
        Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

I use an InFocus DLP projector on a Stewart Firehawk 100" 16:9 screen. DLP is the way to go, its the future of tv.............

Comment

42" Pioneer Elite Plasma.... Bad to the freakin BONE!

I don't care fo DLP's or LCD's.

Plasma's are coming down in a big way, just remember, you get what you pay for...

Also, when looking at them at a store, look at the blacks and contrast, you'll see big differences, look at things like creases or folds in a shirt, etc.

Pat

Comment

52" LCOS - it's amazing. Hell, I think all of the newer TVs are pretty kickass.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Here's mine 53" Hitachi Ulrtavision
                I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I've sold plenty of TVs IMO Plasma TVs are a bragging rights kind of thing. DLP is pretty much the way to go at this time, way more TV for the buck. There are a lot of nifty little things they do to DLPs also. Projection is a fully mature technology. These are way removed from the PTVs of 15 years ago. When the price comes down on the large LCDs they will be a good choice.
                  1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Mine arrives on Saturday. They are so busy with seliveries, that's the soonest I could get it. I would have stuck it in my truck, but then I run the risk of fucking it up. If they deliver it, and bust it, I get a new one.

The 3 lamp older style ones are a lot cheaper, but they have no room underneath to put your gear. I hate wall units, so I'm glad mine comes with a stand, with room for my home theatre system, DVD player, and PS2.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

There are companies out there that make high lumen bulbs for DLP sets too Zeeg. Zoop up your TV! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I have a BENQ projector with DLP technology. It's throwing up a 76" 16:9 picture above the fireplace. This one is an entry level projector with Hi-Def capability, but even with the cost of buying screen material and some wood to make a frame, I'm only into it for about 1k. I can easily remove it from the ceiling mount, carry it in a briefcase, and take the screen down like a painting. I also figured that if I eventually wind up with more room, I can just build a bigger screen.

Comment

I've got a 55" Sony LCD. Nothing like watching football and hockey in HD!

Comment

I got a 50" Toshiba. I got it 6 years ago when LCD's and HDTV's were still through the roof.

Jumbo-Tron is the way top go [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

I have a 10 year old Sony 53" projection TV in my living room and I am utterly amazed that

a) it still works at all and
                              b) that the picture, colors, and brightness are just about as good as any new projection TV I've seen.

I'm waiting for this thing to kick the bucket so I can bring in a new 72" HD projection unit.

In my bedroom I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display doing double duty as monitor and TV. For those of you who haven't seen one of these in person, all I can say is... WOW. Apple should get into the TV business.

Zeeg --> Hey, your new TV is stuck in the past. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X