Anyone good with home networking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good with home networking?

Righto guys, i just bought a new laptop running XP Service pack 2. My PC here is XP SP1.

I have a few big-ass files i wanna share from this PC to the laptop. I've got an ethernet crossover cable and wanna share them via LAN to get them onto the laptop.

The issue lies that i have set up networking wizard on both and they just don't recognise each other....

So, really, from scratch, how (in detail), would i set up 2 PCs with ethernet crossover cables to share a 4gb file between the two...

Cheers [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Anyone good with home networking?

Did you create a diskette as prompted after running the wizard on the first machine? The .exe the wizard generates automates the setup on machine 2.
    If you did then obvioulsy your problem lies elsewhere.
    -Michael

Comment

I would also like some hints about this. I have two XPsp2 boxes and one with W2kPro, and they won't talk to each other. To add to the complexity, they're all connected via a WLAN router, but Internet access works just fine on all three.

Comment

Right, i have made the setup disk and each time i do it and run it on the other PC, it just makes me make a new one.... and so there is an engless cycle... I dunno what's going on

Comment

I don't know the cable to cable method but using a hub/router is easy. I have 4 machines on a wireless network at home.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

It's just 2 machines i need linked and i'm using an ethernet cable between them.

Comment

If you have not already try setting the IP adresses manually. One machine to 192.168.0.1 and the other to 192.168.0.2 both with same subnet 255.255.255.0 which Windows should fill in automaticaly when you tab. Run the wizard on one and the resulting file on the other again.
              -Michael

Comment

Tried, but i'll try again, cheers [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

With both IP Addresses set also try pinging the other computer. Start..run...cmd From command prompt >ping 192.168.0.1 or .2 depending on which machine. If there is no return it will not work until resolved.
                  -Michael

Comment

Right, i installed a new PCI port on the PC and changed the I.Ps to that which you suggested and same with the subnet mask. I ran the add a network wizard and put it on Both PCs, restarted and ran a ping check. Results on both were "result timed out"

Comment

Could be one of the network cards..could be the cable...are you sure it's cross connect? If the machines can't ping they will never network. Do the NIC leds light up when connected? Until they ping nothing will work.
                      Two machines with IP's in the same subnet should ping regardless of being networked.
                      -Michael

Comment

Um..did you enable sharing on the drives?
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Sharing is on, and they light in the back of my PC but not on the laptop cause it doesn't actually have a light.. but i know it works cause i used it for a different purpose earlier...

Comment

Firstly: Try to figure out if the ethernet cards are working proporly. Do the leds that are situated just next to the network cable socket on both ethernet cards light up when connected? If they are, try this on each computer: Ping the computers own IP. E.g. if you've set the IP adress to 192.168.0.1 on one of the machines, ping that IP from that machine. If that does NOT work (if you get time outs), chances are that the ethernet card is broken. Try this on both machines.

If you're certain that both ethernet cards are working, try sharing the directory/folder you want the other machine to get access to. You do that by rightclicking on the folder name and then chose "share"

Comment

Update.

my desktop (what i'm on now) is .0.1 and my laptop is 0.2

I pinged both I.Ps from both MAchines and 0.1 comes back perfect on both but .0.2 fails on both...

The thing i don't understand is that running a patch cable between the 0.2 machine and the DSL Modem i have yesterday before i set up wireless net worked perfectly, but won't ping with the corssover cable....

Comment

Working...
                              X