Anyone good with home networking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone good with home networking?

Well if both machines can ping the .01 address, then both network interfaces are working and the cross over cable is ok. it's possible that on the .02 machine (is this the one with XP SP2?) that you have the firewall turned on and it's blocking ping and file sharing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I've done this as well. Connect them together directly via the crossover cable, without the router/hub. Play around with the Network Bridge settings (adding the 1394 on both machines to the Network Bridge, adding/removing the Wireless Connection and other pieces from the Bridge) and see what that gets.

Also set each one for Obtain IP Address Automatically.

Then go into My Network Places and select Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/whatever you named your network, and your other computer should be there.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Well if both machines can ping the .01 address, then both network interfaces are working and the cross over cable is ok. it's possible that on the .02 machine (is this the one with XP SP2?) that you have the firewall turned on and it's blocking ping and file sharing.

[/ QUOTE ]

02 is SP2, yeah, but has firewall off... Hmm, cause for investigation, this is!

Comment

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t...over-Cable.html

Comment

Update!

Got it working and i'm transferring a 1gb file to this laptop as we speak... My question is, it's gonna take about 3hours as the best way for it to work was set both adapters to 10mb full duplex.... If i fire both to 100, will that not screw everythin gup???

Comment

the network adapters will auto negotiate the fastest speed available unless you have manually bumped the speed down.
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Alright, final question!

I've got it working now at 100mbps... ..Yay..

Now, i can access my laptop from the PC but not my PC fro the laptop.. This is usually fine as all i do is transfer stuff from this PC to the laptop.. but i want everything fully functional.
                The error message is like "Computer cannot be accessed, you don't have the required permissions"

The PC is XP SP1 pro and the laptop is XP SP2 home...

I've heard about enabling guest account and making it a power user but i have no idea how to make it a power user... :S

Comment

Just make the Guest account a member of the Power Users Group.
                  Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Yeah, how do you make it a power useR?

Comment

By putting it in the Power Users group. Right click My Computer, Click on Manage, Double Click Users and Groups, Double click groups, right click on Power Users, click Add to group, click the Add button and then enter the Guest account name.
                      Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

With either of mine (both running XPHome SP2), I can't access the desktop with the laptop unless the desktop accesses the laptop first.
                        After that, I can send files back and forth all day.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Got it perfect now, thnaks so much everyone [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

amazing that i can get PC help from a guitar forum [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X