Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so I went to see Steve Vai last night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: so I went to see Steve Vai last night...

I just meant that it was out before Passion and Warfare... same version. Absolutely GREAT example of dynamics and control of his playing - slow, clean, fast, heavy.... with all types of sound, techniques, and textures

Comment

I posted some cool photos that I took of the Vai show here in NJ at the Starland Ballroom from earlier this year, June 30. My wife and I also hung with Steve & Co. at their show in NYC. The 'Evo' premium experience was a blast to say the least! Naturally I was dead center front row for this hoot as well as the NYC gig. Just scroll down a tad [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...fbb18564557bb29

Comment

I have Passion and Warefare. I just have never been able to get through an entire Vai record. That seems to be changing.

Comment

Whoops! I was thinking of "The Attitude Song", which was on Flexable, and was also the very first Guitar Player soundpage.

Comment

If I ever get around to putting a cd together, I think I’d have to call it Passion and Welfare.

Comment

Chuck, yes that was The Attitude Song, it was his biggest "hit" at that time"

fullshred, great pics.

Anyway, Passion & Warfare and Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop are my favourite instrumental albums ever made.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

that is what is was that was in GP as one of the first if not the first vinyl to be published with a guitar mag..

The Attitude song..he was using Carvin 100b back then.

Comment

Sounds like you had a friggin blast Endrik [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I can't wait to go see Vai and T Mac when they stop by the Bay Area after reading all of the awesome reviews of their show!!!! This is got to be the funniest Vai face I have ever seen
                  http://www.geocities.com/fullshred_2000/VAI071.jpg Thanks FullShred for the pic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Endrik

Glad you enjoyed the show and pleased to hear that yoou got there to see SARDINAS too!

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                    Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Blue Powder is old! That was done as a Carvin demo and originally appeared on Steve's first Solo disc "Flexable". It was also one of the first "soundpages" that were in Guitar Player magazines in the early eighties.

It's one of my favorite Vai tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I remember opening the mail and getting that in my GP subscription... All rolled up from the mailguy... Sure wanted an X100 after that... hehe... I SILL felt it didn't have enough distortion for me even then, hehe...

Shortly afterwards came Black Star by YJM...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        This is got to be the funniest Vai face I have ever seen
                        http://www.geocities.com/fullshred_2000/VAI071.jpg Thanks FullShred for the pic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like Steve needed some salt, pepper, and ketchup for 'FLO' on that one... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Whoops! I was thinking of "The Attitude Song", which was on Flexable, and was also the very first Guitar Player soundpage.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also had a free soundpage of Blue Powder... it was in 86 or 87 or so. I remember wearing out my copy on that crap-ass flexidisc where you had to put a coin on it to keep it from slipping. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My band is going to cover Blue Powder I think... now I just have to learn it. If I can figure out a way to play it with one guitar and it sounds ok, we'll probably do Attitude Song too. I know it already, it just sounds really thin with one guitar!

Pete

Comment

also if some of you guys haven't seen them already, there are pics from a couple of Vai shows on this tour in my thread in the "artists and their gear" section...
                            About the Sardinas tour bus, he made a similar comment about the clubs that Coulson goes to with Sardinas, they have not two, or three x's in their name but SEVEN [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            when I was talking to mr. Sardinas during Vai's set, Eric and the bassplayer were surrounded by a couple of good looking groupies...they all took off a little while after that, presumably to their tour bus [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, groupies are essential for touring rock bands.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They also had a free soundpage of Blue Powder... it was in 86 or 87 or so. I remember wearing out my copy on that crap-ass flexidisc where you had to put a coin on it to keep it from slipping. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My band is going to cover Blue Powder I think... now I just have to learn it. If I can figure out a way to play it with one guitar and it sounds ok, we'll probably do Attitude Song too. I know it already, it just sounds really thin with one guitar!

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue Powder is certainly a challenging song. Its really a great song. I am actually starting to "get" Vai an I LIKE IT.

Comment

Working...
                                X