Internal guitar circuits/effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal guitar circuits/effects?

Ok, this should probably be in Tech Q&A, but since this is more of a general-consensus type thing, it's here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've always been intrigued by the idea of having an effects system built into a guitar. Most of the time (if not all) finding a guitar with built-in effects meant finding a crappy guitar with crappy-to-kinda-ok built-in effects.

Recently I've found a few things on Ebay that show promise - preamps that claim to deliver "vintage" distortion, tone circuits similar to the old Varitone switches, etc.

Then there's the stuff like what comes mounted in an electric/acoustic.

What I wanna know, has anyone found a practical, USEABLE internal effects setup - distortion, chorus, some sort of delay, etc - that can be mounted in any guitar and sounds good? Obviously I can't find a Jackson with an internal Uber or POD, the Variaxe is too ugly to consider, and cramming a Rockman into a trem cavity sounds like a good idea on paper, but only on paper.

But in this age of micro-miniaturization (cell phones as thick and wide as your Driver's License, etc) has no one applied this process to building on-board guitar-oriented fx systems?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Internal guitar circuits/effects?

Dude, I tried out a couple of those circuits off of Ebay. They blow. Now say thank you 'cuz I just saved you money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I had thought about this at one time. I was wondering what the inside of a Korg Pandora looks like? It's small and has just about everything you need. It's probably smaller than a PC1 Sustainer System.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Dude, I tried out a couple of those circuits off of Ebay. They blow. Now say thank you 'cuz I just saved you money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Tim, you crack me up.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I like this idea; I have also thought about it. It sounds like you are going further with it, and I wish you luck! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I had two electra MPC guitars from the late 70s - early 80s. They had cartridges you could put in the back, two slots, that each contained an effect. There were overdrives, phasers, choruses, delays, etc... a pretty cool idea, actually.

However, the sucky part was that you had to manipulate the controls to turn em off and on... at least with a stompbox your hands are free.

Regarding the Variax - Warmoth makes bodies that you can retrofit the guts into. I'll probably do this eventually - the concept of the variax is way cool, but the guitars are sucktacular.

Pete

Comment

Here ya go: http://cgi.ebay.com/Electra-Outlaw-MPC-X...1QQcmdZViewItem [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

What's so bad about using pedals?

Comment

Not so much, but it's kinda cool to have onboard effects. One of my first guitars was a white Cort Effectar (Explorer) and it had 7 or 8 buttons right on the guitar for different effects....coolness!

Another possible reason may be to avoid tone loss through long sets or chains of cords.

Comment

I saw Peter Frampton at a radio station.
                    He broke out this Les Paul that had midi and a 1/4 inch jack.
                    It was programmable with the black keypad.
                    He did have a little problem getting the right buttons pushed at one time. Just like stomp pedels, sometimes you hit the wrong one.

Comment

Finnman that's a tuning thing...I don't remember what it was called or how it worked exactly, but I remember that Jimmy Page was in the ads for them.

Comment

Ron, is this a Cort Effectar body?

ebay auction
                        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Yep, that's a self-tuning bridge that Frampton's got there.

Personally I see no need to put effects into guitars. Here are my reasons:

1. Removing body mass from guitars to install electronics affects the guitar's natural tone, and often not for the better.

2. That many more things that can go wrong with your guitar. If you have no signal coming from your regular electric guitar the cause is most likely one of only a handful of easy to diagnose and fix problems. If you have no signal coming from a guitar with built-in processors and effects, the complexity of diagnosing the problem goes up exponentialy.

3. Many people like various different makes and styles of effects. Just because a pedal says "Delay" on it doesn't mean that it's going to sound or operate the same way as other pedals. The modular nature of guitar rigs is one of the things that sets all guitar players' tones apart. You can experiment with anything along the path of your signal chain. I love the way my Electro Harmonix Ocatve Multiplexers sound, and I can't get that sound from a BOSS unit. I love having the ability to experiment.

4. There is no easy way to have good interface with a complex onboard effects unit. Either you have very little control of what's going on, or your guitar looks like a remote control for a 1950's flying saucer.

While it's an entertaining idea, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time until someone starts making these, what I've listed are the obstacles that a manufacturer would have to overcome before I would consider buying one of these units myself.

Comment

I'm not particularly interested in seeing another Effectar model, what I'm looking for are individual kits I can install myself.

If one goes with miniaturized components (remember the big 80s cel phones, and now smaller ones can do more?) such as ribbon transducers and mylar film over bulky resistors and transistors and such, I do believe you could get the power of a GSP21 in an Ontario route.

IMO the Variaxe is as much a step backwards as it is a step forwards. Yes the technology is better than that old 70's model with the giant circuit board in it, but it's still a giant circuit board inside a guitar. It's time to start thinking about micro-miniaturization of the entire unit, rather than just the components on the board.

Control pads can be made from self-adhesive mylar film - or special paint - with ultra-fine control wires that blend seamlessly with the guitar's finish or along the body edge/binding, and the units can be made programmable so you can store patches.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Ron, is this a Cort Effectar body?

ebay auction

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, yes sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X