On-Line MBA, anyone tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-Line MBA, anyone tried it?

With my schedule, this seems like it might be a viable alternative. Has anyone here tried this route? Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: On-Line MBA, anyone tried it?

This could be the biggest scam in the world. You have to make sure the program is backed by a real university. The "papermills" are everywhere. All the employers know it. Be very, very careful before you go on line to get an advanced degree. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I finished my masters at WSU through an on-line program. They have it set up with live streaming video and two way communication. So it is really pretty much like being there. They archive the classes so you can go back and watch if you miss one. I generally enjoyed it. It was more difficult to pay attention than in a normal class, but I worked through it. The WSU program is really good for what my degree, so it was worth it to me.

I think ASU has a good online MBA program too.

I hear schools like University of Phoenix are a bit questionable. I guess they have a good program, but they still don't carry the weight of an established university.
      However, having an MBA is usually better than not having one. So if a UofP program is the best fit it probably is a good idea. The question is what do you expect to get out of an MBA and does the program deliver it? ALos, does it help you to move toward you career goals? (both rhetorical)

Comment

Stink, You did good. The Phoenix thing is a scam, Beware [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

It's a private school here in Texas, very good reputation so no worries there.

I've seen a few resumes from people with degrees from schools I've never heard of. Once I meet them in person, it all comes together [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

I tend to enjoy a classroom setting, I'm usually the guy on the front row. I actually conduct quite lot of training via the internet so I know it can be done. Just not sure if I'm cut out to be an on-line student.

Comment

I'm not sold on MBAs in general unless it's a very top-shelf program that'll really open doors for you. Couple o' true stories from the battlefield:

My boss a cagey ex-NASA, ex-DOD rocket scientist informs the management of the ultra-mega-humongous company we work for that I'm in charge of our new 7-figure computer system purchase (this was a seed system for development and was intended to eventually scale to at least 10x the initial size). A newly-minted MBA from our local top-20 MBA program had just been put "in charge" of our group to "improve the management & process and allow the technical folks to do what they do best". Our group was at a complete standstill pending the purchase, there was no capable system in-house and management had deemed our work too sensitive to take to a university environment where we could have leased cycles so this was no small thing. Our newly-minted MBA marched into my office on her 2nd day and informed me that we didn't have sufficient funds for the entire buy but that she'd broken it down into 3 components and I, "... [could] have any 2 of the 3. [Did I] want the processors, the memory, or the hard drives?" It took us a couple of weeks to get rid of her.

Fast forward a few months. The entire system (as opposed to 2 of our intrepid MBA's 3 pieces) is in place, the simulations are generating gigs and gigs of data and we have no tools for graphical analysis. The engineers are going insane, the executives want more charts & graphs for their dog & pony shows, and everyone wants to see interactive graphical analysis of the high-level abstractions. We request $2.5k to purchase a license for a graphics library. The MBA (different one) running our part of the company denies the request. A couple of us spend a couple of days searching for lower-cost alternatives (note that right there the lost engineering time has already cost more than the original request). We locate a free alternative and request $50 to purchase the book that details the internals and use of the free library. Six weeks later our request for $50 is denied and we're informed that we now have a meeting with the MBA who runs our part of the company to explain why we're using non-approved software (the free stuff we had to snag to do our jobs). A couple of weeks after this myself, 2 other engineers, 2 senior engineers, our manager and his manager meet for 3 hours with a VP, the aforementioned MBA and his assistant to discuss our requisition for $50. Eventually they authorize the $50 which kicks off another battle entirely since we'd already paid for the book ourselves and the company didn't want to spend the authorized $50 to reinburse those who'd chipped in. Wash, rinse, repeat.

My suspicions about MBAs in general were confirmed in a meeting with a dean from a top-20 MBA program when she said, "So you're an engineer and a lawyer and now you're thinking about an MBA? I honestly don't know what you'd do with the MBA as I can't imagine that there's any sort of market at all our there for that combination." [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

On a more useful note, one of my cousins is a BS/MS/PhD/MBA VC who did his MBA in a part-time program at a very good university. His take is that the primary value of an MBA is the networking opportunitites it provides and that he'd missed those entirely by not enrolling in a full-time program. Boots on the ground as it were.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Does MBA stand for a :"Matriculated Big Asshole" [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

An MBA degree is no substitute for common sense, business savvy, interpersonal skills, and connections.

Bear in mind that schools and universities are businesses. The long mystiqued hype of the MBA having more opportunities and higher pay is the mantra selling point of universities.

MBA's are more or less glorified bean counters. Look at the top leaders in the Forbes 400 richest. What very small if any percentage have this coveted degree?

If you just enjoy learning and the actual content of an MBA program is something you want to do for self knowledge, then figure if the cost justifies what you get out of it.

Online programs are just another way for schools (most of which are not any good) to make money off of people who feel inadequate / have self esteem issues. The University Of Phoenix founder's son is a multi millionaire living in Bel Air, CA. - off the average Joe rank & file employees who completely bought in to the idea they were supplying a valuable pedigree to the seeking student. Like a degree is going to be this great equalizer for everything lacking in one's life. This is laughable.

Then you have someone with an MBA who overates their importance and bores everyone to death by their in depth pie chart B.S. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] Usually some dweeb that drives a Saab. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's up to you if an MBA degree still makes sense in your career path. Even then, it really only makes sense to go to a well known established "brand" MBA program such as Tulane, Wharton, etc. (no online programs) and ideally have your employeer underwrite 100% of the advanced degree cost. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

I think SMU has a credible MBA program offered online. I also think it depends on the institution offering the program.

MBA are worth in the long but in my experience in the real world, I rather have someone working for me who spent more time in real world of business and engineering than someone who had their noses in books for most of their adult lives. In a sense, from my perspective they (MBA's)can be overrated for the fresh MBA grad. If you have an MBA and experience along with practical common sense, you're on the right the track will be a valuable asset to any company in you respective field. Having an MBA doesn't always equate to more money or a higher position. It is really all about the drive, ambition of the person, not whether he/she holds an MBA .
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Wow, thanks for the input. I totally agree on all these points.

I've been with the same company since '98. Since then I've worked my way to the upper level of "middle management" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I have an opportunity to totally change the direction of my career, stay with the same company, and not lose any ground in doing so. Moving from operations which I know very well, to human resources (which I see as adding another notch in my belt of "employability"). I could take a Cont Ed program to learn what I need to know, or I could pursue and MBA with an HR core.

Living in Austin, I also wouldn't mind eventually getting a cushy job with the state. I've dealt with lot's of people who don't know shit about their job, but they have an MBA (which is viewed as a higher level degree by the masterminds at the state). Getting an MBA would get me in the door for state positions that I don't currently have a shot at.

This has been very enlightening. Thanks all [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Our newly-minted MBA marched into my office on her 2nd day and informed me that we didn't have sufficient funds for the entire buy but that she'd broken it down into 3 components and I, "... [could] have any 2 of the 3. [Did I] want the processors, the memory, or the hard drives?"

[/ QUOTE ]

"Do you want the job done right, half right, or not right? Because without all 3, it will not be done right. End of discussion. Have a nice day."
                      [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

See if your employer is willing to underwrite the MBA program cost. If you agree to stay at the same employer x years after you acquire the degree, they'll usually want to help with 100% of the cost.

Comment

Working...
                        X