Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should a guitarist bring on a 2 week tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should a guitarist bring on a 2 week tour?

What would you advise a guitarist to bring with him on a two week west-coast tour, playing a show every night? Assume the band uses just one tuning the whole set. Also, not just limited to gear, other suggestions are welcome too. Also assume that this is the guitarist's first tour. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: What should a guitarist bring on a 2 week tour?

In terms of gear...amp, cab, guitars as least 2 maybe 3, spare cables of every kind, spare strings, picks, spare tubes if needed, any spare pots/jacks...tools (truss wrench, allens, screwdrivers, pliers, sockets, soldering iron, solder, etc.). I kept a small towel around on my amp if it's hot.
    Pack enough clothes, bring an empty box to collect panties in, bring rubbers (and use them), $$$.

Shoot me a PM...lemme know if you haven't gotten my last email too.

- Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

Definitely bring a backup amp head. CAbinets you can rent or borrow if you have to, but go rent a head and you'll probably get stuck with a turd.
      Bring a 2x12 cabinet (easier to carry). If they want it louder, mic it through the p.a.

Lemon oil [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

www.toursupply.com

Comment

Re: What should a guitarist bring on a 2 week tour

7x2=14

14x3(groupies/night) = 42

Lead guitarist:

Pack 42 condoms.

Rhythm guitarist:

Pack a box of kleenex.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

some medicaments if you catch cold or have a headache, condoms, extra stage and casual clothes, a lot of towels, tea, a notbook and a pen.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

lol GoR. fortunately thats not really the case, or i'd be screwed [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

anyways, are we talking about a pro tour here, or just some small non-nightliner stuff?
              if it's pro, the tour company normally has arranged most of the gear stuff. when i was on tour, we had 2 marshall DSL heads, one jcm 900 SLX spare, 4 marshall 412 cabs, complete drumset except cymbals and hardware, spares for the drums, a bass amp system consisting of a pre and poweramp, one 410 and one 115 bass cab, loads of cables, DI boxes, tubes, fuses etc (there should be a dedicated FOH and tech anyways). basically, all the musicians hat to bring were the guitars (i'd suggest two per musician per tuning yes thats a lot but this way you're SAFE), their own amps if they wanted to, as well as their own pedals etc, strings, cables (although the tech had plenty of that stuff), wireless units, stands etc etc
              if it's a self organized or in general a small tour, you'll definitely have to bring your own cabs and amps, of course. i think one spare amp for the whole band is enough, plus some kind of bass emergency solution - for example some kind of DI "amp".

regarding other stuff.....aside from clothes, you should bring enough medication, as you'll most likely get sick on tour, i can promise that. take a camera, you'll want to take pics of this stuff [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] get plastic cups and dishes, that's VERY important. you cannot have enough of this stuff, trust me. as you'll be playing every night, you should get a proper catering. if there are any travelling days, buy some microwave food [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] also bring a lot of water, all that drinking leaves most people dehydrated (sp?) after a couple of days [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] chances are you won't need a lot of money, though.
              and of couse, packing condoms doesn't hurt [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

feel free to ask any questions :cheers:

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far, some great stuff in here. I would have never thought of the medication bit. And GoR, there's no such thing as groupies in extreme metal. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If all goes as planned, it'll be a self organized tour with two other bands going down the west coast and probably out east a bit towards Utah.

Comment

Beer [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

deodorant...a separate stick for everybody...you'll thank me later...lol...d.m.
                    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Guest list with my name on it heh heh

Are you getting to SoCal?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Bus Fare back home?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Guest list with my name on it heh heh

Are you getting to SoCal?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like, months and months in advance... When the dates are setup I'll see what I can do. We'll definitely be in Southern California at some point though.

Comment

+1 on the separate deodorant [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Bring a couple spray cans if the others have to mooch, or if you just gotta shoot 'em [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Buttcorks so you don't get violated in your sleep [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A pack of painter's masks so you don't wake up to find a pic of you snoring with your mouth open and 17 peckers around your face [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Phone numbers of emergency replacement players in case someone chickens out.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

ugh deodorant [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
                              I would die in the tourbuss because of that chemical shit [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Inearthed, DON'T FORGET toothpaste and toothbrush
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X