Band Audition Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Audition Tonight

I’m auditioning for a band tonight. I responded to an ad in the newspaper. I always hate these first meetings with other musicians where you try and come to some common ground on songs everyone knows. What would you do if put on the spot to show you want to be in their band? I really have no idea what to expect from this. All I know is they already have a following. I hate to stand there and do every freaking guitar trick I know while they sit there and stare at me (unless I'm on stage of course) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Re: Band Audition Tonight

I always come prepared to throw out one of my original tunes (or at least some original riffs) in the same vein, and see if they can come up with anything to fit to it. I'm assuming they're going to want to know about your writing skills.

Remember, you're auditioning them, too.

Comment

Sit and talk first. See if you can control the tempo on how the night progresses. If you can, don't be in any hurry to start playing.
      Be dead honest with them: Tell them this is nerve-wracking, and what they hear may be affected by the nerves factor.

If they are cool, you will talk more than play. Odds are good you are imagining a secenario that won't happen. Human nature...you're bracing for the worst!

Have Fun!! Good Luck!!

Comment

Your right Chuck. If we don't like each other or not really on the same page, non of the other stuff matters. Thanks!!
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I guess I didn't think of that, because when I tried out for my current band (Division), the guitarist and I swapped e-mails for about two or three weeks prior to my audition.

Comment

Yeah, that's what happened when I joined Article 13. I responded to an ad and swapped some emails back and forth with Mark, but he had some family stuff come up before we could meet, so by the time we did hook up in person, we had talked a lot and pretty much "knew" each other. Made it a lot easier!

Mike, is this a "cattle call" audition, or is it just you tonight, and someone else some other time? Or do you know? Original band or Covers? Were you givin a list of tunes to learn, or is it a cold call?

Comment

I think it's just me tonight. It's sounded like mostly covers. I tried to get an idea of what kind of stuff they are playing but didn't really get much. Of course I was talking with the drummer. If this was a "cattle call", I probably wouldn't even go. Actually, now that you mention it, I have a feeling it's going to mostly talking. They told me not to bring an amp. For me, my tone/amp is just as important as having my own guitar to play with. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

Comment

He he...well, at a glance, it sounds like they aren't real good at this stuff.
                Don't put them on a pedestal...just go meet and greet, see if they are on the same page as you, play a little...have fun with it.
                I really think it will be cooler than you're thinking now.

Comment

I'm with you on that Chuck.
                  Every audition I've ever gone to, I've prefered to spend most of it talking.
                  You have to like the people you are playing with first.
                  Anyone can get together and jam. But the bands that do well and stick together for a while tend to like each other also.
                  Remember... a band is like a family, you may have your personal differences from time to time, but you all have to like each other for it to work.
                  Just relax and have fun.
                  -Rick

Comment

We'll is 10:09 EST and I'm back. The guys were cool enough but they wanted to get right down to business. They had me running through a POS amp which I was not happy about. They asked me to come back but I doubt I will. I don't really like the stuff they play. Oh well, I gave it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X