Ear/hearing protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear/hearing protection

What's that ya say sonny? Do you use ear plugs or other types of protection when watching or playing a concert?
    Yes, most of the time.
    33.33%
    Only when I think the sound levels are too high.
    50.00%
    Never, I'm too cool to be seen with stuff in my ears.
    16.67%
    This was a stupid question, thanks for wasting my time.
    0.00%
    The Buzzard does not fear
    The man in riot gear
    Harvest a skull of stone
    The Buzzard grows his own...

Re: Ear/hearing protection

hearing protection is so cheap it's stupid not to.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I already have a 20% hearing loss in my right ear and 5% in my left. Not worth risking any more given the fact that you can buy ear plugs for less than a buck.
      Hell, if you're in a pinch, cigarette butts (unused) work pretty darn good too.
      -Rick

Comment

Unless I forget to bring my Alpine plugs, I ALWAYS use them!

But whatever works for ya, some people claim "Nothing has happened to my hearing this far, so why should I use plugs?!" Yeah sure, your choice... but to me that's about as stupid as it gets! If they wanna ruin their hearing, fine... go ahead and do so! Just don't come whining about it afterwards!
        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

I hear pretty bad actually. I got problems to understand people, when many are talking at once, in a pub for example.
          I always have to ask "what ya said?" and it really sucks once in a while.

after a hammerfall-concert (gloooryyy, steeeel!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I once had a beep in my ear for three days. that made me think a little, and today there's almoust nothing that's not been in my ear already..

I normally use paper towels (?) in rehearsal too, but this stuff cuts the highs mostly and is not really neutral to the sound.

is there anything special you guys can recommend for ear protection?
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I go to maybe 4 concerts a year at most so no I don't use plugs. If I was gigging on a semi regular basis or going to more shows per year I'd use plugs. If you go to a metal concert look at the guys on stage and their crew, every single one of them pretty much has plugs, as do most of the people who work at the venue. Its just common sense. For concert goers I think its less of an issue unless you go to like one concert a month. But 4 shows a year or less isn't likely to kill your hearing (though it most definitely could).

Actually I should revise that statement. I did use plugs once. I always bring a pair with me in case I happen to be near a speaker or something. When I went to see Blind Guardian a year or so ago they played two days at the local venue, I went the second day and while the first day was a sellout, the second day was only about 1/2 full. So I got a nice spot right in front of the stage by the lead guitarist. Consequently I was right next to the wall of speakers. After one song without the plugs in I decided it was too much of a risk, my entire body was literally vibrating from the force of the sound. So I did use plugs for that show.

Comment

I always wear them if i remember to take them.
              93 USA Soloist EDS
              USA HT6 Juggernaut
              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I am lucky enough to have a 24/7 ringing in both ears. It only took a year or so to get used to.

Comment

I'm deaf as a door nail..so I have built in ear protection anywhoo..

I have to hear my amp..and that amps needs to be loud to hear it.

I also want to hear the "tone" of my amps and plugs in my ears is going to impede that..IMO
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

ALWAYS since I was about 22 ..... before that I thought they were a waste of time
                    My doctor is surprised that I have as much hearing left as I do, since I have been playing for 23 yrs now (since I was 13). Just a small notch (about 5dB) at 1-2K in my left ear
                    Best thing I ever did was get custom plugs made...

Comment

I went to so many shows in the 80's with out hearing protection that I now have the constant ring in my ears. Now I use basic ear plugs for any show I go to. I know it is too late to save my hearing, but I know it keeps it from getting worse. That and with hearing protection the shows actually sound better.

Comment

Working at a big music store, I naturally have a lot of hearing loss. But I've had problems with my ears since I was a little kid. I usually don't wear them when I'm playing a show, unless my band is in extremely close quarters, I sometimes wear them while watching other bands, and I always wear them at practice. I wish I could wear them at work, but it kind of impedes talking on the phone, etc.

Comment

I use these and I very seriously recommend them:

http://www.proplugs.com/

I wear them at gigs, in clubs, in rehearsals and on stage. They are not neutral but they are very, very good and much better than foam plugs or tissue paper and when you are comparing 12 bucks fro these against 120 bucks for custom made neutral defenders, I think you know which ones I'd be happier losing. I am 31 and go to upwards of 50 concerts a year, and that's a very conservative estimate, especially when you count rehearsals which are 2 a week, sometimes 3 hours each session.

And yes, you can say that wearing plugs sacrifices tone but I'd rather be able to hear my amp later in life than think to myself "damn, I'm so glad I'm getting ALL the tone from my amp because I'm not wearing those damned plugs" today.

Comment

What?
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I wear my earplugs at every band practice and every show I go to. I go to a lot of concerts, and do have some minimal hearing loss from not wearing them when I was younger..so I always wear them now.

Comment

Working...
                              X