Rock or metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock or metal?

So, tell me this: How do you guys decide whether a band is hard rock or metal? For me, it's kind of like obscenity: I know it when I hear it!

I'm asking because I've been debating with a few people whether Van Halen, AC/DC and a few others are hard rock or metal.

Re: Rock or metal?

VH and ACDC are rock.

Comment

big rock.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Rock and Roll>Hard Rock>Acid Rock>Heavy Metal then it fracture to different types of metal

Hair Metal
        Glam Metal
        Thrash Metal
        Death Metal

Bands like AC/DC and Kiss came from Hard Rock/Acid Rock and became Heavy Metal

Van Halen was no different they came in as Heavy Metal/Hair Metal .. It's defined more by the times now and the intensity of the music I think ..

Ask the question in 1983 what V/H was and I would have said Heavy Metal ... Ask me now ...They are Hard Rock ...
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

If you hear the band on radio, it's rock.

Comment

hard rock
            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
            Amp... Pioneer
            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

VH and Angus are hard rock.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I know it when I hear it too.

Those bands are rock.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Hair metal and glam metal are both oxymorons. There is nothing metal about a bunch of guys playing sappy ballads, and pop-rock prancing about in spandex and make-up with their hair teased up 12" over their head.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    If you hear the band on radio, it's rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in Florida, I found a radio station playing stuff like Death, Shadows Fall, etc. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Hair metal and glam metal are both oxymorons. There is nothing metal about a bunch of guys playing sappy ballads, and pop-rock prancing about in spandex and make-up with their hair teased up 12" over their head.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not arguing that point.. but if you walked the scene from 81 ish to 85/86 that was the label.

BTW Big hair and sappy ballads got you laid.........Ask Brad Gillis why he didn't stay in Ozzy's band
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I would say if spandex is involved it would be Glam Metal [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but then look at Iron Maiden and the Scorpions. Man, this topic makes me wish new music had guitar players like that again! The good old days.
                        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

It's funny how a musician's goals are very similar to that of the common yard dog - getting laid [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Darwin Awards, anyone? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ACDC and VH are Hard Rock, Chuck Berry was Rock. There's a distinct difference between all labels, and despite the petty bickering about pidgeonholing, such labels are necessary. Glenn Miller was Swing Jazz, Manhattan Transfer were Urban Jazz. If you can't tell the difference between Swing and Urban Jazz (like the morons that decided to use Manhattan Transfer and Mel Torme for a Glenn Miller compilation disc some years back), you are tone deaf.

Glam/Hair Metal ran very close together - the line was blurred in most places.

But yeah back in 81-84 ACDC and VH were Heavy Metal. Black Sabbath were Heavy Metal, even with songs like "Am I Going Insane?" and "Changes".

Unfortunately over the years people "forget" to add the "Prefix" to their particular flavor of Metal, so when one person says "Metal", 10 different people think of 10 different "Prefixes" (i.e. Heavy, Thrash, Speed, Death, Doom, Gnu, Satanic, etc etc etc)

It's imperative to use those prefixes, because when someone like me asks for names of bands that play "Heavy" Metal (which is the only style that can rightfully be known as just "Metal", since it was the first style), I don't get references for Slayer, Slipknot, Nevermore, etc etc.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

glam/hair metal is rock, rock is about getting laid.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

AC/DC + VH are Hard Rock . They are not metal . I have never heard AC/DC describe themselves as metal. I don't think VH did either.
                              Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X