X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welcome to my Hell!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, that's the ticket! Exchange the admiration of rock fans for the contempt of jazzers! That'd be a great weekend hobby, if you're into S&M that is! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't actually like the admiration of rock fans, what exactly are you giving up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that's John's real issue. I think he's upset with himself for having, in his eyes, underacheived. I doubt that exposing himself to the hypercritical jazz audience you mentioned will make him feel better about himself. I could be wrong though. But I doubt that with his fulltime career and a family to support that he has the time he'd need to chop up enough to impress the jazzers. I think that clique is a lot less fun too but again, that's just the perspective of a rock/metal person.

My take is more that John would've preferred to be a rockstar rather than a concert pianist or a jazz guy. Am I wrong, John?
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Yeah, that's the ticket! Exchange the admiration of rock fans for the contempt of jazzers! That'd be a great weekend hobby, if you're into S&M that is! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't actually like the admiration of rock fans, what exactly are you giving up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that's John's real issue. I think he's upset with himself for having, in his eyes, underacheived. I doubt that exposing himself to the hypercritical jazz audience you mentioned will make him feel better about himself. I could be wrong though. But I doubt that with his fulltime career and a family to support that he has the time he'd need to chop up enough to impress the jazzers. I think that clique is a lot less fun too but again, that's just the perspective of a rock/metal person.

My take is more that John would've preferred to be a rockstar rather than a concert pianist or a jazz guy. Am I wrong, John?

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct.

Comment

Anybody else here feel the same way?

Comment

I found a forum for you guys to talk about your feelings. Click here

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
              now, now, anger is a feeling too....we wouldn't have very progressive guitar playing if everyone phrased identical and felt the same doing it.

Do I feel as tho I have underachieved?...I regret not going to GIT, there was nothing more that I wanted to do than just that for years after graduation. I regret not ever taking formal study with Tim Sparks for classical, flamenco, jazz etc...so in that respect, yea, I guess I do feel that way.

Isn't it time for a group hug? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a lot of those same regrets. However, I take comfort in the fact that, even after having a stroke, I can still play rock and metal guitar well enough to wow most listeners and even my fair share of musicians. I'm well aware of my flaws and weaknesses as a player, but I can let go of that and have fun playing. I have had, yes, jazz guys who I could never touch technically, say they liked my style and soul in my playing. I'd love to have the jazz and classical chops, but at this point would rather excel at something I actually am good at, than strive to be a half-assed jazz or classical player. Plus I like rock and metal better anyway.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Were you? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was all kind of obvious from the first post in the thread. I was trying to point out he could change what he's doing if what he was doing made him feel like this:

"I hate getting compliments and for the most part, I don't like the fans or the crowd. Here is my reason:
                    Musically, I am a failure."

Change, give it up, or live with it. I'd go with the first choice. But that's just me.
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                    X