My Ed Gein Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ed Gein Story

I was reading the post ClevelandMetal started about Slayer, and saw the comments about Ed Gein. I have a little story about Crazy Ed I thought I'd share with you, especially with this being Halloween and all...

I learned about Ed Gein in Psychology in high school. I was absolutely captivated hearing of this twisted f*cks antics. I could not comprehend how such an evil, disturbed individual could exist. I found a couple of books written about Ed, and read them so I could learn more about this intriguing character.

Ed had issues. I mean, this guy was the poster child for "Sick Mother F**ker". He did it all. Grave robbing, cannibalism, murder, and he liked his trophies. In addition to the four noses that police found in a cup on his table, he also had made a "woman suit" out of the skin of his female victims that he would wear in his yard in the moonlight. He also like to do "things" to his female victims. And when they started to smell, he'd just cut out certain parts of their anatomy and save them for whenever the urge hit him.

Part of why I found this so fascinating is because he lived in Wisconsin, and I lived in Minnesota. I mean, I would expect this sort of behaviour from someone in California, but the Midwest?

I had a friend who found the whole story of Ed equally fascinating, and we decided that a pilgrimage to Geinland was in order. We had friends in Milwaukee whom we visited a few times a year, so on one of our trips back from Milwaukee in the summer of 1988, we decided to swing by Ed's home town of Plainfield Wisconsin to see what we could find.

Plainfield, Wisconsin is not hard to find. We had managed that. In fact, here's a picture of us by the road sign. Note that we are covering our noses so that Ed's ghost would not be tempted to snatch them for his collection. That's me on the right:

Another friend of ours was with us, and he took some of the pictures. He was a bit upset by our antics, and found the whole pilgramage a bit morbid. He hadn't planned on this side trip when we left Milwaukee, but he was riding with us, so he didn't have much of a choice.

Well, like I said, finding Plainfield wasn't hard. What was a challenge was finding Ed's property. After Ed was arrested, the townsfolk burned his house down. They didn't want their town to become a tourist stop. This meant it would be difficult for us to find someone to help us locate his land. We decided a teenager would be the best source of information for us. So, we pulled into a gas station and luckily, a teenaged girl was working behind the counter. We grabbed some sodas, and when we got up to the counter, we asked her if she could tell us how to get to Ed Gein's property. She whispered "wait until the store's empty, then I'll tell you". After everyone left, she drew a crude map for us and explained how to get to the property. Then, she said "Do you want to know how to get to his grave?". Holy shit! "He's actually buried here?! Heck yeah, we want to see his grave!" I said. She drew another quick map or us, and off we went.

We headed off to the local graveyard, and sure as hell, right where she said it was, there was his grave. The wierd part of it is that someone had actually left flowers for him. Here it is:

We were pretty psyched. All of the stories we had heard, the books that I had read, they all became real at that moment. And we still had his property to go visit.

We jumped in the car and followed the map to where his house used to stand. We pulled off to the side of the road, and approached the driveway. A chain fence was blocking the entrance to the property, preventing anyone from driving onto the land.

We stepped over the fence and onto the property. It was overgrown with weeds, and there was no indication of the horror that had gone on there. Ther was no foundation of the house that once stood, no barn, no shed, nothing. Still, it was interesting that it was undeveloped. I guess none of the locals want anything to to with that plot. We snapped a few more pictures, and I grabbed a small stone for a friend of mine who wanted to make a necklace for herself from a real piece of Gein property. Here's a picture of my buddy and me on the property. Again, I'm on the right:

We jumped back in our car, and headed towards home. My buddy and I were pretty stoked with the success we had had on our little adventure.

Our little pilgrimage remains one of the wierder things that I have ever done. Just thought I'd share.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Re: My Ed Gein Story

I live in Wisconsin Rapids, Plainfield is the next town down the road on 71...

A lady I worked with (she retired a couple of years ago) lived her entire life in Plainfield...She knew Ed and everyone that he killed.

She said he was no doubt weird, but not as weird as others you run into everyday. (Boy was she wrong!)

Crazy for sure, Plainfield (as you know) is freaking tiny! Never would expect anything weird there!

Comment

Wow, not a trace of even the foundation? Interesting they have erradicated all evidence...

How traumatizing for people in a place like that. being such a small town and knowing all parties involved... It would have to really play on you. I mean, in a big city where you don't know the people, it is tragic and terribly sad to people, but to know the victims and the murderer? Just horrible....

Cool story man...

Comment

Wow what a story. Man oh man.
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Wow. Cool story of the real "LeatherFace".
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Wow, not a trace of even the foundation? Interesting they have erradicated all evidence...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a wood frame house, not on a slab or anything I don't think.

Great story! Makes my hometown killer seem like nothing. Phantom Killer link.

Keith
            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

There is a movie called In the light of the Moon/Ed Gein. Steve Railsback, the guy who played Charles Manson in Helter Skelter played Ed.
              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0230169/
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Part of why I found this so fascinating is because he lived in Wisconsin, and I lived in Minnesota. I mean, I would expect this sort of behaviour from someone in California, but the Midwest?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

- E.
                    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

People in the midwest have more time to sit indoors in the cold weather and think of stuff like that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Wow. Cool story of the real "LeatherFace".

[/ QUOTE ]

woah! is that a pic of the real guy? or just a mask or soemthing?

Comment

Just a mask for the character Leather Face in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (this movie was loosely based on serial killer Ed Gein, as was the character Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs). When you die, your skin hardens like leather. Ed Gein used to skin his victims and wear their skin on his face like that... hence, the Slayer song "Dead Skin Mask". Ed Gein was a very sick man!

Comment

Yeah what the crap i just read a brief bio of the dude.

fascinating but sick too, damnit i feel like a sick bastard now haha.

Comment

Well we had Jeffery Dahmer in Akron / Youngstown Ohio...so , Yeah this makes me proud. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

and in my very district "Kingsburry Run" we had the Torso murders back in the late 20's to ealry 30's Elliot Ness was in charge of the case and then ran for Mayor..I think he was mayor of Cleveland.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

well anyhoo..he use to chop up his victims ..mostly transients and prostitiutes..beheaded.

NICE!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X