Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I hate most club owners

[ QUOTE ]
    Owners can be troublesome to say the least but keep in mind the guy have a set list that he knew you played before. You deviated away from that. Honestly if I was a club owner and your band broke out with Metallica we'd be having words too! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I didn't state it in this thread, since I also started one on harmony central... but we played HEAVIER songs the first time we played there! I actually added more blues and 'older rock' to the sets this time.

The only reason we played the metallica song is because about 1/2 dozen people started hollering for it - and they were in different groups even, and yelling for it after every song. When we kicked into enter sandman, the dance floor was packed.

Pete

Comment

You have a point, Shawn, but they didn't play One or Master of Puppets, they did Enter Sandman, one of the more mainstream
      songs. Also, the crowd requested it. I could see a "don't do that again, please" rather than not having them back for that reason. You'd think taking requests would be a GOOD thing, wouldn't you?
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I had that happen in Chicago once at an Irish bar. We packed the place and rocked them. The bartender on duty hated our music and volume. He said (in an Irish accent), "I cun't hear me custoomers!" [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
        Yet everyone had a beer in hand and a smile on their face. Seems nobody was having problems ordering beers. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        He left a bad report with the owner and we weren't invited back. Their loss.

On the Metallica note -
        We usually start off our 1st song with Metallica "Whiskey" and get it over with. Then when "Metallica guy" shows up 1-2 hours later and yells out his fav band, I make the crowd tell him, "YOUR F-ING LATE!!"

Comment

BTW, we played symphony of destruction, over the mountain, Mr crowley, etc the FIRST time we gigged there and were asked back. We didn't play those the second time, where we were found too heavy.

It just amazes me that club owners can have a packed club full of happy DRINKING folks who aren't fighting, and ditch the band. If we get called back, they are paying an additional $100 asshole tax. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd rather they didn't call us back and we found another venue in the area to pull their crowd from. I'd prefer that.

Pete

Comment

I dealt with dickhead owners like this. They want any excuse not to pay us..but they paid. My singer and one club owner almost came to blows. He was bitter that he had to pay us what he promised. We just took his money and ran and never looked back...

fuggum. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yo Pro-Fusion...Taylor's is still open! I go there a couple times a month man! I live two blocks from campus...Its totally Frat-diculous though. They have live bands everyonce in a while.

Comment

I know the feeling about club owners. My favorite line was "well I took a hit last night" Well fucker, that was last night, and this is tonight.

Comment

I told the soundman at the last gig we played that he better not fukk with my sound or there will be serious problems. Most club owners are douche bags. Especially the ones who also book the bands. I had a club owner once negotiate me down from $450.00 to $250.00 for a gig my band was killing to play. After he beat me down to $250.00 he started laughing. I asked him what was so funny and he told me that just the night before he negotiated a price for his daughters wedding band. He got them down from $8000.00 to $5000.00 and what was funny was the fact that they only were playing for 3 hours total and he had to feed them. We were also playing for 3 hours for $250.00. He thought that was funny. I knocked the table over we were sitting at and threatened his life. I also spit on him. We didn't play there. My band was pissed. Thats the problem.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I told the soundman at the last gig we played that he better not fukk with my sound or there will be serious problems. Most club owners are douche bags. Especially the ones who also book the bands. I had a club owner once negotiate me down from $450.00 to $250.00 for a gig my band was killing to play. After he beat me down to $250.00 he started laughing. I asked him what was so funny and he told me that just the night before he negotiated a price for his daughters wedding band. He got them down from $8000.00 to $5000.00 and what was funny was the fact that they only were playing for 3 hours total and he had to feed them. We were also playing for 3 hours for $250.00. He thought that was funny. I knocked the table over we were sitting at and threatened his life. I also spit on him. We didn't play there. My band was pissed. Thats the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! So did the band retire you as the 'booking guy' after this? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Yep. We got a booking agent/manager after that. He was also good friends with Steven Tyler at the time. Steven was not in Aerosmith at the time. Joe started up The Joe Perry Project and Steve was working for a furniture mover and trying to get clean. We used to advertise through word of mouth that he might show up at our gigs and because of it, we got at least 25 Aerosmith groupies at every show.

Comment

You need to write a book. Sounds like you had more 'brush with greatness' encounters in a week than I've had my life here in Oklahoma [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          BTW, we played symphony of destruction, over the mountain, Mr crowley, etc the FIRST time we gigged there and were asked back. We didn't play those the second time, where we were found too heavy.

It just amazes me that club owners can have a packed club full of happy DRINKING folks who aren't fighting, and ditch the band. If we get called back, they are paying an additional $100 asshole tax. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd rather they didn't call us back and we found another venue in the area to pull their crowd from. I'd prefer that.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Asshole tax [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sounds like the guy is just a dick as if you played that type of music before and played it again there is no problem with the style of music. Dickhead shouldn't have asked you to come back in the first place.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Our promotion company called us up and asked us to do them a favor on short notice. So we drive cross state, set up at a club we’ve never played before, clean up in the bathroom and go jam. We had a great turn out and everyone enjoyed the show. Well the bar had on of their best weekends ever so they asked us to come back.

We get there about 2pm and start setting up. Well the bartender starts getting everyone in the bar all riled up about bands coming and having to run cables and testing equipment, and basically wouldn’t let us do our job. Turned out the bartender was the club manager that was on vacation when we played last time. No band would want to go play this club because of her. Well it started bad and ended worst. About mid way through the night there was only one table of patrons left in the bar and our bass player started talking to them over the mic. “Why are to still here” and “Why don’t you leave” and so on. The manager asked us to stop playing and asked us to leave. She paid us for half the night and told us not to come back the following night.

To this day I still can’t figure out why no one wanted to play at that club? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
                            X