introduction to the real world....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introduction to the real world....

Well i started my new job yesterday. I had to get up a 5 30 in the morning to start work at 7 and finished work at 3 in the afternoon. I've finally realised that everything is changing again and i have to grow up a little bit (thats sucks because i'm really immature [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). Although i'm getting pretty good money for my age, working 8 hour shifts a day for 5 days a week really has knocked me. I now realise what so many people go through and what my parents go through just to keep a roof over our heads.

What was it like for you guys when you first started a full time job? I needed to vent some how so i would like to know some of your experiences too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: introduction to the real world....

full time job [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] I hope I never have to do that [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

welcome to serfdom
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

well, it was cold....my dad walked into my room and said "you graduate highschool today. tomorrow you will find a full time job, because i am taking you off our insurance policies. you need to find your own insurance for the car. you will also enroll in college because i will not have a loser for a son. you can take the summer off. if you don't do these things i will kick you out of the house and change the locks."

i was 17. i found a decent job a couple of days later. i enrolled in college for the fall term. my full time job went to paying for my college since my parents were too selfish to even HELP pay for a class.

the only good thing was i still had a free place to sleep.

today i have accomplished and gained everything i have on my own - no help from anyone. but i still resent my parents because i have substantial debt because they NEVER lended a hand.

oh well, water under the bridge...

but that was introduction to the REAL world!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          well, it was cold....my dad walked into my room and said "you graduate highschool today. tomorrow you will find a full time job, because i am taking you off our insurance policies. you need to find your own insurance for the car. you will also enroll in college because i will not have a loser for a son. you can take the summer off. if you don't do these things i will kick you out of the house and change the locks."

i was 17. i found a decent job a couple of days later. i enrolled in college for the fall term. my full time job went to paying for my college since my parents were too selfish to even HELP pay for a class.

today i have accomplished and gained everything i have on my own - no help from anyone. but i still resent my parents because i have substantial debt because they NEVER lended a hand.

but that was introduction to the REAL world!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll thank them later! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

i remember when i had my first apt; it was a little studio apt on franklin + cahuenga in hollywood. what i remember most was that it felt like i just paid the utilities and another bill was sitting in my mailbox. each time i'd pay it, i'd get this weird feeling that something was accomplished and i crossed some kinda finish line. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i know what you're talkin about, but that's how it is, man.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Well MD, your father's method may have seemed harsh to you, but it worked. He is A1 in my book. From what I have read in that post, you really have nothing to resent him for.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

but i still resent my parents because i have substantial debt because they NEVER lended a hand.

[/ QUOTE ] I guess it would have made you happy to have your parents shoulder the "substantial debt" of putting YOU through college? [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] ooofaaaa, that's what student loans are for. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  my parents were too selfish to even HELP pay for a class

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
                  ...but i still resent my parents because i have substantial debt because they NEVER lended a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up poor white trash (some might say I haven't changed [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). I went to college on my own, paid for everything myself. I don't mind one bit making that student loan payment every month because my education and the experiences that came with it were the best money I could have ever spent on this earth.

Granted, we don't know your entire story...but parents are not obligated to pay for their children's college. Sounds to me like your dad knew exactly what he was doing in this particular matter.

Comment

You deal with it and get used to it.

IT's never easy finding something you will totally enjoy and find fullfillment everyday. Heck, even some guys you think have a great job (take one of our dealers for example) they get to talk gear all day, but they also have to pay the bills, collect the $$$, and rely on sales that get toughre to make in our falling economy.

The best thing to look for is a good group of guys to work with, and have fun working with. Even people who have won the lotto still work, because it keeps a person busy.

Fark i wish I was back in high school [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I started working at Pick N Pay at 15. Minimum Wage was like 2.20 an hour or something..

I helped pay for all my high school tuition which really for me was a waste of money..I got booted outta two of them for my "behavior"..and "dress code".

well I finaly graduated..barely

As soon as I turned 18 my 100 dollars a month rent was put into place..where else could I live for that..with meals.

I worked full time at the grocery store until I called ass on my boss. He was a dick and always F'd with me..so one day I just told him we can take this outside..I got in trouble..and quit.

I immediately started workinmg at Blue Cross / Blue Shield as a Shipping and Recieveing supervisor for 18,000 a year..not bad..not great but enough to save money for a down payment on my own house while still living at home..

at 23 I married my wife who was 19 and moved into our first home...which I sold to my sister when she got married.

I wanted to be a fireman and studied , worked out for the test and did very well..but didn't get called because of affirmative action..

So I took the Police test for shits and giggles..and made it..did that for 13 years. Broke my neck on the job..and retired when I was 38 with a full pension..

When I got the Police gig..Me and the wife decided it was a good time to have a "Vinny"...so we worked on making him for two years..he finally came after much hard work in the sack with ice on my balls...that's what the goo doctor told me.

The end..

Now I sit at home..ummm..talking to you guys , and drive my wife nuts and yell at my kid , who's 11 now. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Bill
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

but that was introduction to the REAL world!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll thank them later! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm 31 now, and while i appreciate it, those $389 a month student loan payments fry my ass everytime i write the check!!!!
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

yeah i read some more and while you guys are right, they turned around and paid for my brother and sister, like 3 years later....

BTW, i do have cheese with my whine, quite often!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I used to sit at my house and essentially surf the net...and make over 100k. That was a nice gig. Now all I do is travel, and I make less than half of that...at least up front. It does have an occasional "perk" though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Working sucks, you are either born from the correct vagina, or you work to make it yourself.

I own several millions of dollars worth of property, but I don't see a dime from it because it is in trust...with my dad being the income beneficiary. I own the dirt, he collects the rent. Fucker will probably outlive me too!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I had to drop outta college for a year or two to help out the family. My dad left awhile ago and my mom got laid off, so I had 2 jobs, working 6-7 days a week depending (2nd job was security for a private club). The pay was crappy on both ends, but the biggest issue I faced was trying to change the things that needed changing for the better and being told to know my place. I was a defiant fukker and told them that's not the way it's gonna work, and they promoted me 2x (mainly to shut me up I think). That's my biggest problem, I can live with the $, but when the people you work for don't show you the proper respect you deserve, then that pisses me off, and that's the hardest thing I had to endure.

On the growing up part, it made me more responsible. I stopped wasting time, but I also got on other people for wasting time, which wasen't a good thing to do.

Things are good now, my mom's got a nice job making decent money and I'm back at school. I'm thinking of leaving and going to MMI in Florida, but the work/school thing might burn me out. I need a good kick in the ass again to be able to do it again cause right now I've gone back to being a lazy bastad

Comment

Working...
                              X